Jump to content

Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, JoeC said:

Schriffen has nothing to gain by engaging with the rest of the media, especially sports radio.

Just ignore them and move on.

This is kind of my feeling.  The guy has been targeted since day 1 by this group, and when he fires back, he is then supposed to give time to them thus rewarding them for targeting him?  Eh, I don't see it.  Honestly this whole thing is stupid anyway, and reeks of people who aren't very important trying to make themselves self-important at other people's expense.  It would be nice if he just left it alone, but I also get why having bitter people nipping at your heels constantly gets annoying.

  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is kind of my feeling.  The guy has been targeted since day 1 by this group, and when he fires back, he is then supposed to give time to them thus rewarding them for targeting him?  Eh, I don't see it.  Honestly this whole thing is stupid anyway, and reeks of people who aren't very important trying to make themselves self-important at other people's expense.  It would be nice if he just left it alone, but I also get why having bitter people nipping at your heels constantly gets annoying.

Someone needs to be the bigger person. The "haters" thing was over, then he decided to re-light the fire with the "losers" comment on the broadcast. Sports radio already doesn't have a ton to discuss right now in the sports calendar, you KNEW it was going to re-ignite things. Why do that? I'm not absolving sports radio hosts, they are keeping this going and could not take the bait...but if you're Schriffen, why give them the bait at all? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Someone needs to be the bigger person. The "haters" thing was over, then he decided to re-light the fire with the "losers" comment on the broadcast. Sports radio already doesn't have a ton to discuss right now in the sports calendar, you KNEW it was going to re-ignite things. Why do that? I'm not absolving sports radio hosts, they are keeping this going and could not take the bait...but if you're Schriffen, why give them the bait at all? 

Uhhh, he didn't re-ignite it. The Score hasn't stopped on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Uhhh, he didn't re-ignite it. The Score hasn't stopped on it.

They weren’t saying much at all until he said the loser comment and acted like Shane deceptively edits comments 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Uhhh, he didn't re-ignite it. The Score hasn't stopped on it.

Did the radio shows support we fans who thought the new play by play guy was ripping the fan "haters?" I'll admit I'm a huge hater and don't need to be called out by Schiffren. Anybody with any knowledge of baseball saw our lineup and pitching staff weren't just mediocre or a little bad, but historically bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Words aren’t even needed, but his idol in life is Bernstein.  🤣

And what would you call this look, hillbilly emo?

https://x.com/shane_riordan/status/1792588328207847841

Whether anyone likes him or not(mostly not), Dan is now a Chicago sports radio legend.  I would guess that Shane isn’t the only one inspired by how he works.

Shane definitely stepped in it in this entire fiasco, he needs to stop talking about it and Schriffen needs to stop making butthurt comments to try and get back at them because it’s not working.

this season sucks so fucking much I don’t need this extra stupidity through another month

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Uhhh, he didn't re-ignite it. The Score hasn't stopped on it.

What The Score talk show hosts say or do should be completely irrelevant. The Score is just doing what The Score does and is generally supposed to do. They talk about stuff to get people emotionally invested in the topics their station is talking about. Until guys like Schriffen respond the way he's done, or unless he does something completely egregious, it will be an echo chamber.

As soon as Schriffen responds, he drags himself into that world. To paraphrase Mark Twain, they're just going to drag him to their level and beat him with experience.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Whether anyone likes him or not(mostly not), Dan is now a Chicago sports radio legend.  I would guess that Shane isn’t the only one inspired by how he works.

Shane definitely stepped in it in this entire fiasco, he needs to stop talking about it and Schriffen needs to stop making butthurt comments to try and get back at them because it’s not working.

this season sucks so fucking much I don’t need this extra stupidity through another month

What a worthless excuse for a job. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Someone needs to be the bigger person. The "haters" thing was over, then he decided to re-light the fire with the "losers" comment on the broadcast. Sports radio already doesn't have a ton to discuss right now in the sports calendar, you KNEW it was going to re-ignite things. Why do that? I'm not absolving sports radio hosts, they are keeping this going and could not take the bait...but if you're Schriffen, why give them the bait at all? 

I mean yeah, but also it's hard to not take something personal that sure appears to be personal and regular.  He's got people chasing him around about it, and asking him about it, so it isn't like it has gone away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JoeC said:

What The Score talk show hosts say or do should be completely irrelevant. The Score is just doing what The Score does and is generally supposed to do. They talk about stuff to get people emotionally invested in the topics their station is talking about. Until guys like Schriffen respond the way he's done, or unless he does something completely egregious, it will be an echo chamber.

As soon as Schriffen responds, he drags himself into that world. To paraphrase Mark Twain, they're just going to drag him to their level and beat him with experience.

I mean The Score is just basically The View for dudes.  They take wacky and outrageous takes to get people riled up and engaged.  Talking calm sense doesn't get attention. Whailing at the top of your lungs does.  Look at modern politics even.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean yeah, but also it's hard to not take something personal that sure appears to be personal and regular.  He's got people chasing him around about it, and asking him about it, so it isn't like it has gone away. 

Then you know how you end that? Respond. When he made the haters comment, the day after it happened, both radio stations, one of which is the flagship home of the Sox, reached out to have him on air. He declined. I can’t speak to The Score, but I know for a fact Waddle and Silvy wouldn’t have “attacked him” or made it a difficult situation, they would have asked him what he meant by calling out “the haters” and who it was directed towards. Again, he could have EASILY made a joke out of it, been a little self-deprecating, and it’s totally over. But he said “No, don’t need to explain myself, letting that comment speak for itself.” 

Ok, so now you’re leaving it up for people to come to their own conclusions, which we know is a wonderful idea in this day and age. Then, as the cherry on top, he doubled down and calls them “radio losers” weeks later, both stations once again reached out, and once again both were declined. 
 

Sorry, but Schiffren isn’t the victim here. This isn’t Kansas City or Milwaukee. This is a large media market with a lot of eyes on you. As I said before, he made the decision to poke the bear once again with the radio losers call. And if he doesn’t want to provide any clarity to the situation, he wants to somehow keep this beef going, the “radio losers” in this town are simply holding up their side of the bargain. 
 

There were multiple times and ways for him to end this stupid and petty “feud” with the sports radio stations in town. He decided he didn’t want to do that. Again…that’s on him. 

  • Like 2
  • TLR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tony said:

Then you know how you end that? Respond. When he made the haters comment, the day after it happened, both radio stations, one of which is the flagship home of the Sox, reached out to have him on air. He declined. I can’t speak to The Score, but I know for a fact Waddle and Silvy wouldn’t have “attacked him” or made it a difficult situation, they would have asked him what he meant by calling out “the haters” and who it was directed towards. Again, he could have EASILY made a joke out of it, been a little self-deprecating, and it’s totally over. But he said “No, don’t need to explain myself, letting that comment speak for itself.” 

Ok, so now you’re leaving it up for people to come to their own conclusions, which we know is a wonderful idea in this day and age. Then, as the cherry on top, he doubled down and calls them “radio losers” weeks later, both stations once again reached out, and once again both were declined. 
 

Sorry, but Schiffren isn’t the victim here. This isn’t Kansas City or Milwaukee. This is a large media market with a lot of eyes on you. As I said before, he made the decision to poke the bear once again with the radio losers call. And if he doesn’t want to provide any clarity to the situation, he wants to somehow keep this beef going, the “radio losers” in this town are simply holding up their side of the bargain. 
 

There were multiple times and ways for him to end this stupid and petty “feud” with the sports radio stations in town. He decided he didn’t want to do that. Again…that’s on him. 

Why is it on him to reward bad behavior with an appearance?  I don't get that part at all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why is it on him to reward bad behavior with an appearance?  I don't get that part at all.

I wouldn’t classify it as a “reward” and I don’t think the sports radio group would consider it a reward either. 

It’s about ending the conversation. You do that, by having a conversation. It benefits Schiffren by clearing the air, moving on from it. He decided not to do that, then take another swipe with his “radio losers” comment

He clearly wants the heat at this point. Otherwise he doesn’t make the radio losers remark. He was trolling at that point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I wouldn’t classify it as a “reward” and I don’t think the sports radio group would consider it a reward either. 

It’s about ending the conversation. You do that, by having a conversation. It benefits Schiffren by clearing the air, moving on from it. He decided not to do that, then take another swipe with his “radio losers” comment

He clearly wants the heat at this point. Otherwise he doesn’t make the radio losers remark. He was trolling at that point. 

So if someone with a show targets you and sets the case for basically a feud, you fix the problem by giving them air time on their format?  Yeah, still don't see it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So if someone with a show targets you and sets the case for basically a feud, you fix the problem by giving them air time on their format?  Yeah, still don't see it.

 

You don't see it because you're classifying it as "targeting" and a "feud"

I don't know what The Score said, so I can't comment on what was said leading up to anything. I do know what 1000 said, and it was first brought up after he made the "haters" comment. They asked him to clarify what he meant. He declined. Then they got on him for screwing up the pronunciation of Veeck, and even mentioned this would be a non-story if the haters comment wasn't made, but now there is more attention on him. Then everything went away for a few weeks. Until Schriffren decided to re-ignite the "feud"

I've spent too much time discussing this very stupid situation. The last thing I'll say on this is I have a feeling by 2030, John Schriffen is going to be a decent trivia question for hardcore fans that remember who was only here for one year after Benetti left... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think both sides are being tools.  The Score (specifically Riordan) flips out ridiculously about anything and everything and Schriffen is stupidly goading them, which is weird as he is new to the city and team and doesn’t have much experience outside of Slam Ball.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think both sides are being tools.  The Score (specifically Riordan) flips out ridiculously about anything and everything and Schriffen is stupidly goading them, which is weird as he is new to the city and team and doesn’t have much experience outside of Slam Ball.

Yeah Riordan is doing what Riordan is going to do.

Schriffen needs to recognize that, while they're both broadcasters, they're not in the same business, and he shouldn't be engaging with the likes of Riordan on this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...