Jump to content

Story on Sox trade possibilities...


Lip Man 1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jake Burger is having a rotten season. Four homers. BA under .200. Tim Anderson with six RBI all season. Sox could prolly acquire both for very little in return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MLBTR has a story on Braves' OF trade possibilities. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/where-can-the-braves-go-for-outfield-help.html

Contains this passage on Pham and Sheets:

 

Quote

Tommy Pham

Pham almost certainly will be traded this summer. He signed a minor league deal with a prorated $3MM base salary on one of the worst teams in the league. He and the White Sox knew that the hope was that he’d play well enough for three months to be an option for contenders seeking a stopgap outfielder. Pham has a .304/.355/.443 line with three homers in 29 games. He’s not the most exciting player, but he’s a viable regular who’d require a minimal prospect return.

The cost would be a little higher for Gavin Sheets, but he’s another Sox trade candidate. Sheets will be eligible for arbitration for the first time next offseason and is under team control through 2027. The 28-year-old is hitting .242/.351/.414 with personal-best walk (13%) and strikeout (16.8%) marks. Sheets is a poor defender who only hits right-handed pitching. The Braves might not consider him enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile, but he’s outperforming Kelenic at the moment.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The cost would be a little higher for Gavin Sheets, but he’s another Sox trade candidate. Sheets will be eligible for arbitration for the first time next offseason and is under team control through 2027. The 28-year-old is hitting .242/.351/.414 with personal-best walk (13%) and strikeout (16.8%) marks. Sheets is a poor defender who only hits right-handed pitching. The Braves might not consider him enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile, but he’s outperforming Kelenic at the moment.

Hahahahahaha

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hahahahahaha

How is it 2024 and we're still doing this? I don't care if Kelenic sucks and is basically a 1 WAR player he can actually play a competent MLB corner OF and in a pinch can play CF. He allows you to actually field a balanced 26 man roster.

Sheets is a 1B/DH that barely hits above league average. Those guys are just not that valuable. I saw someone compare him to Vogelbach but Sheets has never proven he can even put up the 126 wRC+ season Vogelbach had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

MLBTR has a story on Braves' OF trade possibilities. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/05/where-can-the-braves-go-for-outfield-help.html

Contains this passage on Pham and Sheets:

 

 

Poor Harold.  Quite an insult there at the end with Sheets vs. Kelenic.  Although not altogether accurate if you consider Kelenic is a much more competent field er and runner.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Poor Harold.  Quite an insult there at the end with Sheets vs. Kelenic.  Although not altogether accurate if you consider Kelenic is a much more competing field er and runner.

It's a bad omen that the guy here that might actually work for the Sox was convinced Kelenic was the next great MLB superstar. I think reasonable people saw right away he wasn't a real MLB CF defensively and his mental makeup is questionable at best. Breaking his foot his last year in Seattle in anger and then crying about it with the media was one of the more bizarre things I've seen in pro sports. Crying is fine, but just the way he was unable to control his emotions either time, huge red flag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How is it 2024 and we're still doing this? I don't care if Kelenic sucks and is basically a 1 WAR player he can actually play a competent MLB corner OF and in a pinch can play CF. He allows you to actually field a balanced 26 man roster.

Sheets is a 1B/DH that barely hits above league average. Those guys are just not that valuable. I saw someone compare him to Vogelbach but Sheets has never proven he can even put up the 126 wRC+ season Vogelbach had.

Gavin Sheets' 119 OPS+ would be 3rd best on that Braves team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Gavin Sheets' 119 OPS+ would be 3rd best on that Braves team. 

he has .2 fWAR. Kelenic, because he can actually play a position, has .6. There is no world where a smart team like Atlanta is considering playing sheets in the OF.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he has .2 fWAR. Kelenic, because he can actually play a position, has .6. There is no world where a smart team like Atlanta is considering playing sheets in the OF.

Gavin Sheets is a lefty bench bat. I don't consider him a RF consideration for Atlanta. Maybe they'd take Colas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

he has .2 fWAR. Kelenic, because he can actually play a position, has .6. There is no world where a smart team like Atlanta is considering playing sheets in the OF.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/baseball/news-what-happened-george-kirby-mariners-all-star-struck-foul-ball-bizarre-sequence

Of course, it had to be a young fan wearing a Kelenic jersey lol who threw a ball and hit the wildly volatile George Kirby...who made a lot of M's fans angry down the stretch last season with some bizarre behavior.

 

https://nypost.com/2023/09/09/mariners-george-kirby-upset-about-being-left-in-game-wish-i-wasnt-out-there/

Guess this can be moved to Ms thread eventually.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Gavin Sheets is a lefty bench bat. I don't consider him a RF consideration for Atlanta. Maybe they'd take Colas. 

Don't see a need to trade either one of those guys for scraps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Don't see a need to trade either one of those guys for scraps.

The problem is that Pham is likely to cool down at some point...his bat, veteran leadership (to some) and playoff experience are his selling points.

Should be a DH though...ideally.  Just not enough pop to long-term hold down that spot with a contender, obviously.  Can platoon though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just don’t see how any contender trades for Sheets between now and the deadline given his lack of track record and 1B/DH only status (unless you are the White Sox).  And if the best we can get for him is a lottery ticket, then I’d rather just hold until the offseason.  With Eloy certainly gone and Vaughn a serious non-tender candidate IMO, it doesn’t hurt to have someone who can slot into one of those spots if better options don’t present themselves.  And while he’s not exactly young, he is controllable for three more seasons and could be flipped later if he proves to be an above average DH against RHP.

To me, the must moves remain Fedde, Kopech, & Pham.  Obviously there are other guys who will or could be moved, but I don’t expect much of a return for them.  The one exception being Steven Wilson, but not sure Getz will pull the trigger there given the level of control.  As such, Getz really needs to hit big on those first three guys I mentioned.  My hope is he packages Fedde plus Kopech or Pham for a legitimate OF prospect who can challenge for a starting role as soon as next year.  And he can’t miss like he did on Dominic Fletcher and Zach DeLoach…Getz needs to hit a HR with those guys like Rick Hahn & Haber’s laptop did last deadline.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Quin said:

DeJong is one of the few things that has exceeded my expectations this year.

I expected exactly what he’s giving us, some power with a decent OPS, low BA along with decent fielding.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I expected exactly what he’s giving us, some power with a decent OPS, low BA along with decent fielding.

I had very, very low expectations for his batting average.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Passan on ESPN writes that the Sox are willing to trade anybody, including Crochet and Robert.

As well they should be.  If someone starts offering a true top 10 type of guy for either, start building around it and get it done.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GreenSox said:

Passan on ESPN writes that the Sox are willing to trade anybody, including Crochet and Robert.

As they should. They desperately need to acquire some high end position player prospects.

Robert to the Mariners for some sort of Emerson/Cole Young package would make me feel much better about the future.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...