Robbie Grossman traded to TEX for RHP Anthony Hoopii-Tuionetoa

31 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Extremely preliminary 2025 payroll, with a ton of assumptions. Laugh away… 🫣😂

I wouldn’t fixate much on the lineup, since I went high and assumed any Farm player was making about $800k. 

IMG_4667.jpeg

Oof, that team stinks. Probably worse than the roster we have now. They will have to spend a fortune in FA to get this thing even remotely close to competitive and that just aint going to happen.

I would enjoy watching this team way more than todays team though, so at least thats something.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Extremely preliminary 2025 payroll, with a ton of assumptions. Laugh away… 🫣😂

I wouldn’t fixate much on the lineup, since I went high and assumed any Farm player was making about $800k. 

IMG_4667.jpeg

That payroll looks too high for even that team, lol.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

I’ve got the 2025 Sox around $74 million in payroll. Assumes no major or minor free agent signings, option buyouts on Moncada, Eloy… trades this year of Fedde. Estimated arbitration numbers are considered, and farm players load up the gaps on the 26-man. 

So obviously, not too realistic but the best I can do at this point to estimate. Also, the $74 million includes Brebbia and his $6million. They may not take the option or he could get traded this season maybe. Includes Kopech who could be gone. His arbitration number should be lower as a reliever next year, I assume. And I have Andrew Vaughn as the 26th man and his arbitration number (as much as I wanted to leave him off). 

All that said, I can see us as low as $60 million if the belt is very tight and we refrain from signing even placeholders. 

That's fair.  All I looked at was committed salary and not what filling the entire roster would take.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:24 AM, T R U said:

We got a 23 year old bullpen prospect for a 34 year old OFer with no future here. Whats not to like about that?

The prospect, 3.15 ERA and 12.8 K rate in 103 minor league innings. While he most likely never makes it, its a wonderful return for 71 at bats of Robbie Grossman on a rebuilding team.

Why should we celebrate a modest return for someone we should have never wasted a roster spot on to begin with?

I want us to go after the kind of guys in the offseason that are good bounceback candidates and could bring back the kind of returns that will actually make a difference in our rebuild. Not just sign trash placeholders and celebrate when they are moved for something. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 12:43 PM, baseball_gal_aly said:

Fedde has a FIP over 4.50 so I'd expect some regression. xFIP and ERA are close though. 

Yes, his track record is lacking and his FIP hurts him, so I am anticipating a return that might be comparable to a middle of the rotation starter.

Since he has a reasonable two-year contract, we will receive a bit of a premium, but given his age, I doubt we will receive a large return. There is just too much risk of regression for whoever gains him.

Edited by wrathofhahn

21 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It's because Benintendi's salary is over 20% of the commitment, closer to 25% (working with those numbers).

Pretty sure we backloaded it so the last 4 years were decently bigger than the 1st

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Why should we celebrate a modest return for someone we should have never wasted a roster spot on to begin with?

I want us to go after the kind of guys in the offseason that are good bounceback candidates and could bring back the kind of returns that will actually make a difference in our rebuild. Not just sign trash placeholders and celebrate when they are moved for something. 

I mean we should be hording anyone with 5 to 6 years of control so who we got isn't the problem.   The problem is most of the guys we signed will have even less trade value.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

well clearly it wasn't a wasted roster spot, they got a prospect out of it. that was ostensibly the rebuilding strategy from the get go, sign bums and hope some of them play well enough to be traded for something. If Robbie Grossman got that, what might Pham or DeJong or Wilson net? Or Fedde or Clevinger. 

Feels worth mentioning that DeJong has actually been good, much better than Rosario or Anderson on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 4

On 5/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, T R U said:

Well for one, this team will still be rebuilding next season. Erick Fedde is only signed through next season.

If he keeps this up, through this season and next season as a front of the rotation type starter. The White Sox, in no way shape or form, are going to resign a 33 year old SP to the contract that his performance will demand.

If he keeps this up for this season only and then stinks next season, your value on him will crater and then you get nothing and he still doesn't help this franchise moving forward.

The only logical outcome here is to hope he keeps this up over the next two months, and then he is traded for a nice package of prospects that will help this team in the future when they expect to be good again.

Or you could logically have Feede help the Sox win games all through this year, and help the Sox win games all through the 25 season, and then worry about 26 and resigning him in the winter after 25. Why can't we enjoy winning now? Get the best possible players you can get and play them and try to win games. This sounds logical to me: Try to win the next game.

Hasn't this week of winning the St. Louis series been fun, split the road trip, and now win three in a row from Cleveland been fun?  Let's keep all of our good players and keep winning and worry about the future when it gets here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Or you could logically have Feede help the Sox win games all through this year, and help the Sox win games all through the 25 season, and then worry about 26 and resigning him in the winter after 25. Why can't we enjoy winning now? Get the best possible players you can get and play them and try to win games. This sounds logical to me: Try to win the next game.

Hasn't this week of winning the St. Louis series been fun, split the road trip, and now win three in a row from Cleveland been fun?  Let's keep all of our good players and keep winning and worry about the future when it gets here. 

12-28 is a weird idea of "fun", but sure, have "fun".

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

The other teams are going to want to send their last proctectees from the Rule 5 draft  and other marginal types for most of the players the Sox will try to peddle.  If that's the best the Sox can do then there's really no point, beyond dispatching the old pitchers.  But they did surprisingly well for Grossman, so perhaps they can do better.
Not so anxious to dump Feddie:  he  was someone that the Sox had some insight on  (and it appears that they were right) so it would be nice to get some real premium.  

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

No, keeping a pitcher that puts up a low 3 ERA on two bad seasons then watching him leave for nothing doesn’t sound fun at all. 

Trading him for a handful of prospects that could be here for 6 years and contribute to a winning Sox team sounds like a blast however. 

22 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

You mentioned 3 players you thought the Sox should go after as an example of what they should be doing.

Maybe you can tell us what happened with those  players , who acquired them and for who and if you think it was possible for a similar return from the Sox given their state of affairs at that time.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I have often advocated for the same thing because I too thought Kelenic was worth pursuing. I'm just trying to ascertain how feasible that was for the Sox since they didn't have much to work with.

I think Getz was basically forced to operate on the fringes, cut salary as much as possible and hire staff to try to squeeze blood from some turnips. Right now getting marginal wins in theory helps to build minor league depth which in turn could build depth for our MLB team .

Who knows if you can get lucky and find a guy like Tatis ,Jr. amongst what appear to be nothing trades.

13 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

What would your roadmap be to build a competitive roster by next year with Fedde?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

12-28 is a weird idea of "fun", but sure, have "fun".

It sure as hell is more fun than 3-22 though, I think we can all agree on that. And not only that, we can't draft higher than 10th, so trying to win makes too much sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

It sure as hell is more fun than 3-22 though, I think we can all agree on that. And not only that, we can't draft higher than 10th, so trying to win makes too much sense. 

For me it's about three things. 

-Hording long term talent

-Turning short term players into long term talent 

-developing long term talents

Wins are nice, but not really important in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 6

On 5/8/2024 at 10:14 AM, Milkman delivers said:

LOL please make the team so we get to hear the announcers butcher that name.

Schriffen   Tuinetoa STAND UP

On 5/8/2024 at 10:14 AM, Milkman delivers said:

LOL please make the team so we get to hear the announcers butcher that name.

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2024 at 9:15 PM, vilehoopster said:

if fedde is good enough to sign to an extension for 2026+, another contender is gonna obliterate any offer the Sox make, in both years and money

you trade him asap

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

no pro baseball team is 3-22 bad in terms of player talent, that's another more deep rooted issue that needs a full scale tear down to fix

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joejoesox said:

no pro baseball team is 3-22 bad in terms of player talent, that's another more deep rooted issue that needs a full scale tear down to fix

Yeah if you ran a simulation of the start of the season and ran it 100 times I think it only happens 8-10 times. The gap isn't that large in talent, especially in how they were losing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joejoesox said:

if fedde is good enough to sign to an extension for 2026+, another contender is gonna obliterate any offer the Sox make, in both years and money

you trade him asap

And do you really want to sign a guy to an extension who will be heading into his age 33 season, in the first year of the new deal?

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And do you really want to sign a guy to an extension who will be heading into his age 33 season, in the first year of the new deal?

Not quite as much of a concern not being a high 90s fireballer and not having that long history of MLB innings...but something to definitely consider.

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I mean there is no reason we couldn't do both if we really wanted to do so.  We could trade him early for the best return, and try to sign him when he hits free agency in a year and a half.