Robbie Grossman traded to TEX for RHP Anthony Hoopii-Tuionetoa

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, bmags said:

decent chance his prorated amount was worth more than the guy they just acquired. We just saw some teams trade cash considerations for sox prospects, so this isn't that interesting to me or worth applauding.

From what I read the Sox wound up paying Grossman about $80k more than they would have had to pay someone making minimum. I agree we probably will forget the guy even exists in a month, but 80k is worth a shot, especially since Grossman was just going to collect dust as the season rolled on anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen

I will applaud Getz for getting anything for Robbie Grossman.  I think it’s way too early to say all the various puts and takes have been worth it.  I’m not yet convinced Matthew Thompson in a relief role is not a better prospect than this dude, who we could have just kept and not tied up a 40 man spot by trading for the late great Bailey Horn.  I guess we shall wait and find out.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A 30 year old who won't bring back anything!  LOL

Getz has some more work to do than this one good transaction to make up for his other trash moves:

Christian Mena traded for 26-year old Dominic Fletcher who is toiling away in AAA.

Jose Rodriguez traded for cash considerations due to Getz’s poor roster management.

Matthew Thompson traded for Bailey Horn; Horn traded for cash considerations due to Getz’s poor roster management.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Trading him this early opens up the possibility that he sucks at Texas, gets DFA'd, picked up by the Sox, gets on another hot streak, and gets traded AGAIN before the deadline.

Getz is clearly playing 4D chess. Suck it losers and haters.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You know how bad things are for the Sox when this deal gets a victory lap.  Jesus.

I think we're all just shocked it wasn't for $.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I think we're all just shocked it wasn't for $.  

This isn't much more TBH.  The K rate looks nice, but he either has had some decent health problems or the Rangers didn't think enough of him to pitch him on a regular basis.

21- 22 innings

22-43 innings

23-24 innings

Did I miss something Grossman did to make Texas want him? Did I miss another hot streak, like that one I missed from Sheets earlier in the season? Miss a little....well, still miss a little but miss something I guess.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Did I miss something Grossman did to make Texas want him? Did I miss another hot streak, like that one I missed from Sheets earlier in the season? Miss a little....well, still miss a little but miss something I guess.

ZIPS thinks he's a decent 4th OF. On a good team he probably slots in decently as a once or twice a week starter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Familiarity with him from last year when he put up decent numbers for them?

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz has some more work to do than this one good transaction to make up for his other trash moves:

Christian Mena traded for 26-year old Dominic Fletcher who is toiling away in AAA.

Jose Rodriguez traded for cash considerations due to Getz’s poor roster management.

Matthew Thompson traded for Bailey Horn; Horn traded for cash considerations due to Getz’s poor roster management.

Zach DeLoach currently has zero HR’s at fucking Charlotte a month into the season.  This is what happens when you replace the legendary Haber laptop with Gene Watson unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Definitely confusing. Why did Texas trade anything for Robbie Grossman? Why would they even give up cash, let alone a player? Yeah he hit the ball decently for them last year and Langford is on the IL, but you'd think the defending champs might have a different outfielder they could select for a couple of weeks rather than giving up a prospect for...Robbie Grossman.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zach DeLoach currently has zero HR’s at fucking Charlotte a month into the season.  This is what happens when you replace the legendary Haber laptop with Gene Watson unfortunately.

That’s crazy, especially in 100 at bats now.  At least he is hitting well otherwise (AVG and OBP), but not what you want to see from a corner outfielder.

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

0 era in 12 innings in AA with 11.7 so/9. Sure he's nobody but how did we get literally anyone for Grossman

Grossman has a .976 OPS against lefties this season.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wegner said:

I think this is actually quite simple.

Robbie Grossman is an above average right-handed hitter. Over .800 career OPS from the right side against left handers. Limited sample size, but that was continuing with the White Sox (.976 OPS). Over 900 with Texas last year too.

Meanwhile, Texas Rangers outfielders Travis Jankowski and Evan Carter (both lefties), are terrible against left-handed pitching.

On top of that, Wyatt Langford, another outfielder, just went on the DL for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I think this is actually quite simple.

Robbie Grossman is an above average right-handed hitter. Over .800 career OPS from the right side against left handers. Limited sample size, but that was continuing with the White Sox (.976 OPS). Over 900 with Texas last year too.

Meanwhile, Texas Rangers outfielders Travis Jankowski and Evan Carter (both lefties), are terrible against left-handed pitching.

On top of that, Wyatt Langford, another outfielder, just went on the DL for them.

"The switch-hitting Grossman has better stats against left-handed pitching. He hit over .300 against lefties last season, posting a .952 OPS in 137 plate appearances. That OPS ranked sixth in the American League against left-handed pitchers (minimum 100 plate appearances vs. lefties)."

More likely they dump Jankowski because Carter is way too young and talented to be a platoon guy...granted, the strong side of one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/rangers-reunite-with-robbie-grossman-in-trade-with-white-sox/ar-BB1m2GJc

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Didn't he have like a 300ish OPS at Charlotte of all places?

Yes, he has been terrible there.

I'm not sure if they just added him to the 40-man roster. Or if he has actually been called up.