Disheartening Article: Magglios GAWN in 05.

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to cheer for Maggs, but if he is being a whiny b**** with his contract, then he can go f*** himself for all I care. He is such an amazing player, and if he sells out for 10 or 20% more money, which he already has a ton of already, then I will lose all respect for him.

Texsox, care to answer why the Oakland Athletics are such a successful franchise?

Care to say why the Scottish Lords of the Congregation hated the de Guise family so much that they wrecked the regency of Marie de Guise and deposed Mary Stuart?

I mean, if we are going to throw questions, how about some with some historical import! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Care to say why the Scottish Lords of the Congregation hated the de Guise family so much that they wrecked the regency of Marie de Guise and deposed Mary Stuart?

I mean, if we are going to throw questions, how about some with some historical import! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Riiiiight... :lol:

Losing Maggs after this year is not a franchise breaker if the money saved on his salary is reinvested wisely. Retaining him at $15M a year very well could be, if he gets hurt. Griffey never had injury problems before he went to Cinci, but we all know how that turned out. Do we want to be the Reds of the past few seasons?

Trading Maggs would be a dumb move. We should be adding players, even "rent-a-players", not subtracting. Just consider Magglio a "rent-a-player" that didn't cost us any prospects. Not a bad deal.

Losing Maggs after this year is not a franchise breaker if the money saved on his salary is reinvested wisely.  Retaining him at $15M a year very well could be, if he gets hurt.  Griffey never had injury problems before he went to Cinci, but we all know how that turned out.  Do we want to be the Reds of the past few seasons?

Trading Maggs would be a dumb move.  We should be adding players, even "rent-a-players", not subtracting.  Just consider Magglio a "rent-a-player" that didn't cost us any prospects.  Not a bad deal.

I never thought of it that way, and I agree with you.

Texsox, care to answer why the Oakland Athletics are such a successful franchise?

:lolhitting The Oakland A's last appeared in a World Series in 1990, They last won a World Series in 1989.

I can see how you define success. There is no arguing with you. I define success with World Series wins. I guess losing is ok if it is done correctly.

Are you defining success as

A playoff appearance with a payroll approprate to the attendance with players who are all earning less than other players with comparable stats?

Losing Maggs after this year is not a franchise breaker if the money saved on his salary is reinvested wisely.  Retaining him at $15M a year very well could be, if he gets hurt.  Griffey never had injury problems before he went to Cinci, but we all know how that turned out.  Do we want to be the Reds of the past few seasons?

Trading Maggs would be a dumb move.  We should be adding players, even "rent-a-players", not subtracting.  Just consider Magglio a "rent-a-player" that didn't cost us any prospects.  Not a bad deal.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

I mean, if we are going to throw questions, how about some with some historical import! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mary of Guise was in tight control and Mary Tudor had returned England to Catholicism. Scottish Protestantism seemed defeated. Knox, fulminating in exile, denounced the iniquity of the female influence, issuing his infamous tract: ‘The First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regiment of Women’: aimed directly at Mary Tudor and Mary of Guise.

Is this close?

I'll make this simple for the MAGGLIO lovefest on this board:

Please explain in terms of wins why O-E-O (I can't wait until that stupid chant is gawn!)

is worth 20-25% of the SOX annual payroll over the next 5 yrs.

After you make that attempt I will be more than happy to gun it down to smithereens.

He is the most over-rated 30/300/100 in the modern game & at best deserves no more than 9 mil a yr.

I'll make this simple for the MAGGLIO lovefest on this board:

Please explain in terms of wins why O-E-O (I can't wait until that stupid chant is gawn!)

is worth 20-25% of the SOX annual payroll over the next 5 yrs.

After you make that attempt I will be more than happy to gun it down to smithereens.

He is the most over-rated 30/300/100 in the modern game & at best deserves no more than 9 mil a yr.

My issue is "worth it"

Which is better? .275 at league min or .300 at $12,000,000 in the standings?

Are we talking "worth it" to the fans, or "worth it" to the owners?

For example; If the season ended today, the Sox are home watching the playoffs. Would Colon and a couple wins at $12,000,000 have been worth it?

To the fans, I think yes. To the owners, probably not. I guess I'm a fan.

I'll be happy to respond once we have some definitions.

Look, I don't care about such meaningless trivia crap as Complete Games, hitting streaks, consecutive 300-30-100 seasons - give me somebody with a 2.00 ERA but no CG, somebody who hits .390 but never for more than 10 games at a time, and somebody who hits 295-29-140.....You get the idea.

But if Garret Anderson and Tejada are worth 12 Mill per, so is Magglio. Remember, losing Maggs would be a huge PR hit, so if it's a choice beyween paying him 11-12 Mill and not.....pay up.

But I do agree that 5/75 is overboard.

For example; If the season ended today, the Sox are home watching the playoffs. Would Colon and a couple wins at $12,000,000 have been worth it?

A) The season does NOT end today. Nor would the Sox go home - Twins are still a game behind in the loss column.

B..) Colon's money went toward Lee's, Frank's, Garland's, Show's, Marte's and Buerhe's raise this year. It wasn't pocketed by JR.

C) Another example: Sox finished the 1999 season 20+ games behind the Indians. Would Belle, Ventura, Brown, Unit and 25 extra wins at $40,000,000 Mill been worth it to the 1.1 Mill fans who attended? I would say 'yes'.

NCORGBL sez

Reinsdorf is a majority stockholder and CEO of the White Sox organization. He is a minority stockholder and managing partner of the Bulls. They are two seperate busnesses, two seperate corporations. If he took monies from the Bulls and put it in the Sox, he'd get 3-5 years for Federal Corporate laws broken. It cannot happen.

This is the most frustrating thing I read here. We even had one guy, a supposed 'businessman' demand that a wealthy Sox shareholder 'dig deep in his pockets' to fund the Sox for free agents. There are federal laws governing such things. Shareholders cannot put their own money into a corporation except by buying stock, that's what stocks are all about, a company selling shares to raise capital. Einhorn and Reinsdorf put all monies made back ito the club, no one makes money from the club except the employees, the players.

The 'job' of ownership is to field a team that can win a World Series Chapionship.

In the last 20+ years how many times have EE and JR fielded a team that can win? 4 Divisions, countless 2nd place finishes tells me they are putting a team on the field that CAN win. The players haven't done their job. They are the ones getting the money, and there are those who want to throw even more at them. Thomas was one of the highest paid players here, and now has a base contract with incentives that will pay, and has quite nicely already, if he performs. Is that too much to ask from others, like Maggs? Does anyone think it unfair to ask Maggs to sign a $14 million deal that has a base of $8 million, and incentives to the $14 million? Is it too much to ask him to EARN that money? Or the ones who would've thrown that kind of money at Colon. He wouldn't sign any contract like that because he knows what his talents, and limits are, the Angels are seeing that as we speak. $12 million a year for an 'innings (and everything else in sight) eater'? That's not only absurd, it's a totally childish way to look at business.

It's really easy to spend someone else's money.

I guess I didn't see when they started reporting contracts on the backs of baseball cards.

Am I suppose to watch the games and tell my kids

"look at that play, he's making only $1.3 million and that may be on web gems tonight!" vs. on the same play "he's making $12,000,000; damn right he should make that play"

I guess I didn't see when they started reporting contracts on the backs of baseball cards.

Am I suppose to watch the games and tell my kids

"look at that play, he's making only $1.3 million and that may be on web gems tonight!" vs. on the same play "he's making $12,000,000; damn right he should make that play"

Look, you've run this arguement into the ground. I get it, harsh business reality that governs these matters doesn't concern you in the least - maybe that's the way it should be, I wouldn't know.

I personally rather like having Willie Harris for 300 K than Ray "walking DL" Durham at 7 Mill. Same for the Rowand-Reed platoon in CF for 600 K than Carlos Beltran for 17 Mill. And so forth.

But I DO have certain conditions: money saved on the aformentioned bargains have to go toward a playoffs caliber 1-2-3 pitching and 3-4-5 hitting and a good set-up man and closer. Currently Sox do not have a #1 starter, the pitcher who would slide Buerhle-Loaiza-Garland-Show into more approprioate 2-3-4-5 spots. Sox get Garcia/Glavine, Maggs gets healthy and Sox run away with the division.

I personally rather like having Willie Harris for 300 K than Ray "walking DL" Durham at 7 Mill. Same for the Rowand-Reed platoon in CF for 600 K than Carlos Beltran for 17 Mill.    And so forth.

But I DO have certain conditions: money saved on the aformentioned bargains have to go toward a playoffs caliber 1-2-3 pitching and 3-4-5 hitting and a good set-up man and closer. Currently Sox do not have a #1 starter, the pitcher who would slide Buerhle-Loaiza-Garland-Show into more approprioate 2-3-4-5 spots.      Sox get Garcia/Glavine, Maggs gets healthy and Sox run away with the division.

I agree with you 100%. I think Harris has been great on the roster and has really helped this team. Would you think less of Harris if he was making $3,000,000?

What I cannot understand is (and maybe I'm reading this wrong) that some people would rather have a .275 10hr 85 rbi guy who is "worth it" for $300,000 than Maggs and his stats at $14,000,000.