Twins Geek hyping Matt Guerrier

RibbieRubarb

It must be something in water in one of the 10,000 lakes...

This is from the Minnesota Star Tribune

http://online.startribune.com/nuke/twins/

Matt Guerrier

The demotion of Seth Greisinger caught me off guard, but I'm excited to see Matt Guerrier pitch. The Twins made an early decision on him in spring training that didn't seem warranted, and he's been Rochester's best pitcher since Day 1. I'm running out of time and patience, so I'll just reprint what we said about him back in February...

Once again, Kenny Williams gave away a promising young pitcher. In this case, the pitcher was Matt Guerrier, who the White Sox traded to the Pirates for Damaso Marte, who is now closing for the White Sox. Guerrier went into spring training last year as a candidate to start in the Pirates rotation, but was limited by shoulder problems and sent to AAA. It doesn't look like he ever got healthy because he was placed on the disabled list for rotator cuff tendinitis on July 20th. This offseason, the Twins picked him up off waivers and added him to their 40 man roster.

He's 25 years old, with a decent strikeout rate and excellent control. He gives up a few too many home runs, but his hit rate is about average. That ERA looks a little unlucky next to the rest of those stats. And he did all that with an injured shoulder? Talk about your savvy use of a 40 man roster spot. Guerrier looks like a name which you'll want to learn to pronounce this year, whether it be in Fort Myers, Rochester or Minneapolis.

:lol:

He's had as big an impact on the Twins as Borchard has had on the Sox.

It's all potential that has yet to show up in the big leagues.

Plus, that's been the Sox farm strategy over the last ten years or so: draft anybody with a live arm and trade 'em for whatever you need.

The trade was a good one for the Sox. Matt Guerrier very well may help the Twins this year which could hurt the Sox, but that's the way trades work. You give up something to get something. The Sox got a more immediate return and Guerrier was not one of their top pitching prospects because he doesn't throw very hard.

Matt is a great kid and comes from a great family. I wish him a ton of luck.

How was it Kenny gave him away. Didn't the Pirates give him away. We just got a solid reliever for him. What a joke of an article.

I think the gist of the guys point was that he liked Guerrier. Fans like to throw jabs at their rivals, and sometimes they aren't accurate. It was nothing but a fan being a fan and nothing more.

Yes, Damaso Marte AND Ruddy Yan for Matt Guerrier was a horrendous trade.

Wake me up when Guerrier succeeds at the big league level, not AAA.

Exactly and even if he does, the Sox got a productive major leaguer out of the deal (hell, he's more then productive) and a quality infield prospect.

As I remember that trade, the Pirates were about to send Marte down or maybe even release him, so I thought that we gave up a pretty good propect for someone who couldn't make the Pirates. Matt had won 18 games the year before in the minors. So the Pirates ended up losing both Marte and Guerrier.

Since I live here in Minny, these newspapers dont give much detail about the Sox. This morning I read the sports section, and all they said about the game yesterday was:

Carlos Lee extends his hitting streak to 27 games. Frank Thomas hit a homerun and Boby Cox got ejected.

Really in depth!

Since I live here in Minny, these newspapers dont give much detail about the Sox. This morning I read the sports section, and all they said about the game yesterday was:

Carlos Lee extends his hitting streak to 27 games. Frank Thomas hit a homerun and Boby Cox got ejected.

Really in depth!

Well it's not like our newspapers say diddily about the Twins games. They're stuck in the back pages with all other baseball recaps (minus Sox and Cubs). That's how the Herald is, at least.

Like who?

VanBenschoten and Burnett are obvious. List others.

Bobby Hill is really the only one I know, you'd figure since they've been selling off so many of their older players, they'd be recieving decent talent, and it's not like that talent is going places. I can't name any because I don't know any, I guess I just assumed so since they've traded so many older players. :ph34r:

As I remember that trade, the Pirates were about to send Marte down or maybe even release him, so I thought that we gave up a pretty good propect for someone who couldn't make the Pirates.  Matt had won 18 games the year before in the minors.  So the Pirates ended up losing both Marte and Guerrier.

I remember being furious when the Sox made the deal. I was wrong though.

I remember being furious when the Sox made the deal.  I was wrong though.

I'd did seem to be somewhat one sided against us, didn't it. I remember people thinking he thought he was the Pirates GM or something. Glad we were wrong on this one.