music

hi8is

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 06:34 AM)
:lol:

I forgot to mention When You Were Young, which is a good song as well. I think from what I've read on various messageboards it's an album you really need to listen to quite a few times before you start to appreciate it, but if you don't like it, then you're not going to listen to it again are you.

Its true, it took me a few times to get to like it, but the reason I like the new album, is because its a bit different than Hot Fuss. Put it down for a few days, and listen up again, you're opinions might change like mine did.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 06:19 AM)
I'm sure you're not the only one who holds that opinion, but I would disagree with that opinion.

I like most of the songs on Hot Fuss, although I'm disappointed with the new disc.

I like the "retro alternative" sound of the Killers, Interpol, She Wants Revenge, and so on, but I can certainly understand how some people wouldn't like it.

I love Interpol and I thought the Strokes first album was good. But as more and more retro 80's bands came out, it smelled more like a Gap trend then anything else. Turn On The Bright lights is one of the best albums of this century, IMO. Is This It? brought in the pop charm. From there I'd rather listen to my Duran Duran records.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Man I hope these guys sell a billion records and end up rich and fat....*sigh* but they're not Justin Timberlake, so they won't.

Click on the 'Chips Ahoy' video and crank it up, hope it works for you.

http://www.spinner.com/2006/10/17/video-pr...S00050000000039

I like that song, but to be honest it's the first song from The Hold Steady that I've liked.

Luckily, they have a free mp3 of the song on the Pitchfork site, so I have the song on my iPod now.

see, i actually feel much better about the pop music of today than the late nineties. I dislike emo very much, but their pop structures are very catchy and listenable. I am a bit suprised that is the trend right now, in 02 i wouldn't have forseen that. But, i do still love brand new and thursdays old stuff. And as far as hip hop goes, so much better than the pdiddy days. And pop music is much better than the boyband/britney spears days. And i've found so many great albums this year...

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
honestly could the killers have gone a more predictable way on this new album? "Hey, lets go bigger! Like U2!!!" ugh. I've always disliked em anyway since that song "it's indie rock and rol for me" or whatever. Suicide booth.

I like that song and it was excellent live.

But I agree with your assessment of pop music. The late 90's blew.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
see, i actually feel much better about the pop music of today than the late nineties. I dislike emo very much, but their pop structures are very catchy and listenable. I am a bit suprised that is the trend right now, in 02 i wouldn't have forseen that. But, i do still love brand new and thursdays old stuff. And as far as hip hop goes, so much better than the pdiddy days. And pop music is much better than the boyband/britney spears days. And i've found so many great albums this year...

Don't forget the rap/rock trend resulting in quite possibly the worst music ever made. How the hell did people listen to stuff like Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit and think that was good music.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
95% of music these days is unlistenable. It's a terrible time to be a music fan.

So wrong again my friend. It is the greatest time and if you sit a spell, I'll tell you why.

Unless of course your musical taste are in line with 98% of the population, then it's as good a time as any. And if your taste isn't in line with 98% of the population, it is the finest time ever on this planet to be a fan. With the internet, you can experience bands of all sizes, those with contracts and those without. Bands that want a big audience but not finding it, and bands that are fine with just making music for their mom's and girlfriends. That has never been the case in the history of mankind. If I'm in the mood for some Icelandic atmosphere, I am a couple mouse clicks away, Some 8-bit garage music by some 14-year old with an idea, a couple mouse clicks away.

Terrible time? Nope, the only thing terrible is how much is out there and so little time to explore.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
So wrong again my friend. It is the greatest time and if you sit a spell, I'll tell you why.

Unless of course your musical taste are in line with 98% of the population, then it's as good a time as any. And if your taste isn't in line with 98% of the population, it is the finest time ever on this planet to be a fan. With the internet, you can experience bands of all sizes, those with contracts and those without. Bands that want a big audience but not finding it, and bands that are fine with just making music for their mom's and girlfriends. That has never been the case in the history of mankind. If I'm in the mood for some Icelandic atmosphere, I am a couple mouse clicks away, Some 8-bit garage music by some 14-year old with an idea, a couple mouse clicks away.

Terrible time? Nope, the only thing terrible is how much is out there and so little time to explore.

This is the best thing about the Internet. Any band can get their music out there, and there's a TON of great bands out there, if you take the time to search them out.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)

unfortunately I can't get my 40 minutes back that i wasted on Interpol's first album... So pardon my extreme generalizations about s***ty music.

"it's automatic when I

Talk with old friends

The conversation turns to

Girls we knew when their

Hair was soft and long and the

Beach was the place to go

Suntanned bodies and

Waves of sunshine the

California girls and a

Beautiful coastline

Warmed up weather

Let's get together and

Do it again"

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
unfortunately I can't get my 40 minutes back that i wasted on Interpol's first album... So pardon my extreme generalizations about s***ty music.

"it's automatic when I

Talk with old friends

Girls we knew when their

Suntanned bodies and

Waves of sunshine the

California girls and a

Beautiful coastline

Warmed up weather

Let's get together and

Do it again"

Maybe you've just got s***ty taste. :P http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...e_Bright_Lights

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I like that song and it was excellent live.

But I agree with your assessment of pop music. The late 90's blew.

Woah, Woah, slow down there (unless you are talking ONLY about pop music, which I think you are). The late 90's feature:

Pulp - Countdown

Pulp - Hardcore

Radiohead - OK Computer

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - slow riot for new zero kanada

Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind

Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire - Oh! The Grandeur

Beck - Mutations

Beck - Odelay

Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap

Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk

The Beta Band - The Three E.P.'s

I'd keep going but there are too many to mention.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Woah, Woah, slow down there (unless you are talking ONLY about pop music, which I think you are). The late 90's feature:

Pulp - Countdown

Pulp - Hardcore

Radiohead - OK Computer

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - slow riot for new zero kanada

Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind

Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire - Oh! The Grandeur

Beck - Mutations

Beck - Odelay

Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap

Belle and Sebastian - Tigermilk

The Beta Band - The Three E.P.'s

I'd keep going but there are too many to mention.

i was talking about pop music exclusively. And AB wasn't really a hit until 2000 i'm sure you'll agree.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 07:23 AM)
Just got my hands on Tom Waits album Orphans - Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards (No. It's not out yet.). It's absolutely amazing. Has to be the album of the year.

I listened to the single on Sunday, can't wait for the CD to come out.

I saw Alabama 3 on Saturday night, outstanding. To those not in the know, the music playing over the opening credits to The Suprano's is Woke up this Morning by them. They're not from Alabama (somewhere in the midlands in the UK) and there arn't three of them.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)

"it's automatic when I

Talk with old friends

Girls we knew when their

Suntanned bodies and

Waves of sunshine the

California girls and a

Beautiful coastline

Warmed up weather

Let's get together and

Do it again"

But that's my point, a generation ago, you wouldn't have had that opportunity. Would you like to go back to the days that you could only hear what your local radio station was playing, or what your local store may carry? You don't like almost anything played on the radio by "corporate bands", this is a far better time for you than any other time in history.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)

Pitchforkmedia is the single worst music site on the internet. Those yahoos wouldn't know their asshole from a hole in the ground. I've downloaded TONS of their "best of the year" stuff and 99% of it sucks....

Deefhoof

animal collective

bloc party

clap your hands say yeah

Wolf Parade

the only bands I remotely liked when I took pitchcrap's advice were:

sage francis/ non-prophets

danielson

the wrens

My stinky crap > pitchforkmedia