Ross Gload- Starting first baseman in 2005?

bjm676

From today's Sun-Times:

[Gload (.304) could make Konerko expendable

September 13, 2004

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Manager Ozzie Guillen wants a new look to his offense next season, and one solution to his needs could have been on the bench this whole time.

Ross Gload's play in the series at Anaheim might get the Sox thinking about putting the contact hitter at first base next season and dealing Paul Konerko for an upgrade at shortstop or to find a replacement in right field for Magglio Ordonez, who is not expected to return.

The Sox might even be thinking about finding a center fielder and moving Aaron Rowand to right field.

Gload, who was the designated hitter Friday and played at first base Saturday and Sunday, went 6-for-13 in the series against the Angels with a home run and five RBI. Gload wouldn't come close to Konerko-type numbers over a season, but is as good at situational hitting as anybody on the Sox roster.

''The only bad thing about this kid is he never got the opportunity,'' Guillen said. ''He was a backup for Mark Grace [while in the Cubs organization], then he came here and Paul Konerko was playing. But if somebody gave him the chance to play, he's a good .270, .280 hitter with 70 RBI and 15-20 home runs. His defense makes him even better. He can play every day.''

If the Sox are sold on that option, Konerko would have to be dealt with offense in mind.

''I was given an opportunity and was lucky enough to win a bench job, and I think I've done my job at that,'' said Gload, who is batting .304 with four home runs and 33 RBI in 171 at-bats. ''I've just kind of hung back and taken the role of when the big guys need days off, hopefully just go in there and just help out or get something done.''

''I want to be in the big leagues, but I don't know if I can play every day. My goal for this year was to be here the whole year and enjoy it. I've driven home the day after the season and been told [twice] that I'm being taken off the roster, so I take it day by day.

''If our good players come back next year there really isn't a place for me to play. But I'd like to be back and helping out in some way here.'']

Thoughts?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO!

I love G-Load but a starting 1B he isn't, when I look at a starting first baseman I want a potential #3 man, not a weak link.

If we drop Konerko we have to spend a few bucks for an adequate replacement. We cannot trade in Ordonez and Konerko for Joe Borchard and Ross Gload and expect people to take us seriously.

I was thinking this was something the Sox were thinking about, especially with Gload playing quite a bit in Anaheim and I expect to see him getting a ton of playing time the rest of the way. If he stays strong, while playing pretty much everyday the rest of the year, I think the Sox will take a chance on Gload at first. First baseman can be acquired if things don't work out.

Gload is an above average defender, good baserunner, and a left handed bat for the back part of the lineup. He's the type of guy the Sox could use and Konerko could not only get some legit talent in a trade, but also free up a little more payroll for the Sox to add pitching, another outfielder and whatever else is necessary.

I'm not at all against this move and I've been a big Gload backer since I saw him in Charlotte about two years ago. I just love his approach at the plate and what not.

so I assume all of you guys have seen what Gload to do if given the chance over the course of a whole season?

Oh wait, you couldn't have because he's never been given the opportunity. The chance he has been given has been this season off the bench and he's been not only productive but consistent through it all.

Since 2000, the Sox and us fans have been stuck on getting the guys with the best "numbers" at each position and what has it gotten them? nothing.

if they find the right replacement for Ordonez in right field and/or solidify their situation at third base, having Gload play first and bat between 7-9, then this isn't something anyone should be pissed off about.

I, like Jason, have liked Gload since seeing him play two years ago in Charlotte. He's a solid, consistent, fundamental hitter who never been given a chance. You hear that, a consistent fundamental hitter ... a consistent fundamental hitter ... we haven't had many of those guy pass through the organization in years. And when we do, a lot of people would rather say he isn't a "starter" because he isn't going to hit homers and put up nice numbers that will likely be put up in non-pressure, useless situations.

Now, don't get me wrong, Gload could turn out to be one of those players who is a great bench player and below average starter ... Gload even mentioned the possibility, but if the Sox make the right moves around him, Gload starting at first isn't a bad idea by any means.

People thought Aaron Rowand would never be a starter, and now there are some who believe is a longterm piece (some are even buying his jersey).

Juan Uribe was supposed to be only a bench player, but there have been many people (whether they are saying it now or were saying it earlier in the season) who would prefer him starting at short or third.

Ben Davis was guy many here thought upon acquiring him that he was a add-in that would spend time in the minors and never see the majors, let alone produce. Now people are ready to make him and Jamie Burke (another guy who, like Gload, has never been given the chance) the catching duo for next year.

Sometimes someone just needs to be given a chance to prove himself, especially if they've earned that look in the brief time they've been given.

Gload is one of those guys that a playoff team needs to come in and hit in situational situations. But I don't like him as astarting first baseman yet.

obviously you need some sort of a backup plane. the idea here isn't to sign Gload to a seven-year deal and ignore any possibility of getting a firstbaseman simply because Gload has been good for 90 games.

you have to have a backup plan whenever you are a playoff-aspriing team looking to start a guy like Gload.

the dumb thing would be to put all your money on Gload ... not giving him a shot.

What bothers me is we are talking about an almost certain decline in offense at 1st base for maybe improvements at SS of somewhere else. More two steps back to move forward.

If anything Kong this year is making Thomas expendable. How about keeping the younger, more versitil player?

Edited by Texsox

I personally am against the idea of having a DH-only player, which is what Frank Thomas is.

My only thing is that it is Frank Thomas.

Plus, he brings something to the team we lack for the most part, an eye and patience.

Another plus, who do you think would be easier to trade? A young Paul Konerko who can still play the field, is healthy and is making $8 million or an older Frank Thomas, who can't play the field (at least in his eyes), is coming off an injury and will be making $10 million.

I would love the idea of having a situation where we have more than one option at DH, as well as other positions. Trading Thomas, however, will likely get us the lesser player in return and will require us to pay some salary.

good point though. tough call.

Ross Gload is a great utility man, a role Brian Daubach couldn't fill last year. A full time 1B? No way.

I don't understand how someone who has never been given the chance to start before and is considered to be a "great" bench player with impressive numbers will automatically be a poor starter. that doesn't make any sense.

if someone is a great bench player, has been productive and has the numbers to back that up, why is he is no way capable of being a starter?

I understand that everyone likes PK, because I have liked him ever since we aquired him. He hits homers, is a good lockeroom guy, and always comes to play. But we have to face the facts, he isnt a very good situational hitter, hits into alot of double plays, cant leg out a single even if the shortstop broke his leg on the way to make the play. I enjoy dingers as much as the next guy, but im sick of solo shots, rallies ending on three consecutive flyouts, and not being able to move the runner over. Of the past 3 world series champs, how many of those teams led the league in home runs????

I don't think Gload is better than Konerko. nor am I blaming Konerko for the teams struggles. If Konerko stays, great, but trading him, which would land us someone and clear up salary, and opening the position up for Gload is something to consider.

I started a thread this past weekend saying Gload should start at 1B next year and Konerko should be traded for help in other departments.

EDIT: Gload starting IF AND ONLY IF we got a top notch pitcher and possibly help at 3B. I don't want him starting just to clear some payroll without using it elsewhere.

If the Sox got rid of Thomas, only then would I believe that KW has lost his mind and must be fired. What kind of sensible move is it to trade your best obp guy, with a ton of power, who walks almost 100 times a year? Frank is not still the best hitter in the ML, like he was in the 1990s, but he is still great, big-time great. When healthy this year, Frank was the best hitter on the White Sox, hands down. He is NOT expendable.

I don't like the idea of trading Konerko. At least, I expect the Sox to get equal value, which is unlikely if they are the peddlers. If he leaves, giving Gload a chance is okay. But I'm not sold -- I worry that this is arrising from Gload's great August + September performance. 47 abs in those months, who knows what that means for a full season?

Most people would love to have a Doug Mientzkiwitz or a JT Snow type player on the Sox. Gload could be that type of player- a hard nosed grinder with solid baseball instincts, plays above average defense [the games I've seen him at 1B he's been stellar there], a lh bat who makes contact, runs well, hits LH and RHP well. He's done everything asked of him this year, without any complaint, braincramps, or lack of intensity. Kind of like Rowand in years past. And we know how that's turned out when the sox gave him a chance.

Not only do you get something good for Konerko, but you potentially give financial flexibility, remove a slower player, and add a left handed bat. Their is no doubting that Konerko is a solid player, but this lineup has had numerous chances.

JM had a great pitching staff two years ago, Ozzie had a solid one for part of th e year (not great, but solid). Now its nothing near that, but hell, this offense needs some changes. It scores runs and everything, but it doesn't have enough of a balance, imo. Which is why we have so many all or nothing games.

Also, the Sox need better pitching, if your going to do that, you need to start focusing on defense, imo.