What Teams Would be Interested in Konerko?

Chisoxfn

Well, since Konerko himself said he wonders whether he will be back next year, and with the Sox trying Gload quite a bit, it seems obvious that the Sox are going to make a few major shakeups. Konerko may or may not be a part of them, but you have to think the Sox are going to at least consider it, especially with his trade value at its peak.

Here's a few teams I can think of that would have some interest:

Anaheim (they want to add some power and Erstad is likely going to be gone, they seem to be down on Kochman a bit, although I don't know if they would include him in a trade).

Los Angeles - They were interested in him before and could be interested in him again, but they have a lot of in house guys (Gagne, Beltre, Perez, etc), so I highly doubt they would add him.

Boston - They have a ton of free agents and could have interest in Konerko, although personally I don't see why Boston would add more offense. However, Johnny Damon and a good prospect would be something to at least consider, imo. .311 AVG, .388 OBP, and 30 years old. Steals are a bit down, but plays stellar defense in CF (has a weak arm though) and along with Rowand in RF, would help the Sox defense.

New York - They could definately enter the sweepstakes if Giambi turns into a long term concern, but I don't necessarily see it happening nor do I see them being a good fit via trade (what would they offer us???). Its not like they would deal Matsui for him.

Atlanta - Could definately use a first baseman and has some players the Sox could be interested in. Could Rafael Furcal and Juan Cruz be part of a package deal, I know I'd be interested. .291/.358 with 24 SB just 4 CS. Known to make some errors, but has good range and a cannon for an arm. Cruz would fit in very nicely in the bullpen, potentially as a right handed set up man. 6-2, 2.70 ERA and he's been dominate the last two months or so as he appears to be getting very comfortable. Just 25 years old, while Furcal is 26. Sox would save a bit of money as well.

Baltimore - Gibbons is struggling, Palmerio will play how much longer? Don't know if they'd be willing to give up some of their young pitching though. However, Jay Gibbons would be a nice bat to acquire, especially if his value is down. He's a strong, good left handed hitter, imo, who has been hampered by injuries this year. A guy worth taking a chance on.

San Francisco - Snow is going to be gone and they could use a legit hitter to give Bonds some protection. Konerko has done a solid job in the cleanup spot this year and would fit in at first. San Fran has some quality young pitchers it could give up. However, I think it would be more likely that a deal with the Giants would be a 3 way type deal.

Personally I'd love to get Furcal and Cruz on the southside. The Sox have showed interest in both guys in years past and would be tremendous fits, imo.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cruz has been on my wish list since he went 0-8 with a sub 3 era with the Cubs -- the kid has loads of talent and could possibly take over a back end of the rotation spot (Message to Judy).

Still dont like the idea of Gload at 1st everyday though. I am not too familiar with our system -- do we have any legit 1B prospects that would be able to contribute next year?

Atlanta - Could definately use a first baseman and has some players the Sox could be interested in.  Could Rafael Furcal and Juan Cruz be part of a package deal, I know I'd be interested.  .291/.358 with 24 SB just 4 CS.  Known to make some errors, but has good range and a cannon for an arm.  Cruz would fit in very nicely in the bullpen, potentially as a right handed set up man.  6-2, 2.70 ERA and he's been dominate the last two months or so as he appears to be getting very comfortable.  Just 25 years old, while Furcal is 26.  Sox would save a bit of money as well. 

If the sox made that deal, I'd honestly s*** myself I'd be so happy. :lol:

Or he could have a season like 5 out of his last 6.  2003 was a fluke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5908

I agree it was a fluke but you never know and something like that could happen. This is the highest his value is going to get, I think we have a solid replacement in Gload, and if you can trade Pauly for a good leadoff hitter, I'd do it in a heartbeat, jmo.

I had a Giants fan offer Edgardo Alfonso, Matt Cain, and 2 mill for Konerko. I thought that was a pretty interesting trade for both teams. We would get a guy that could play 3B, a nice prospect in Cain and money to help sign others. Alfonso I believe is making around 3 mill less than Konerko, could be wrong.

I had a Giants fan offer Edgardo Alfonso, Matt Cain, and 2 mill for Konerko. I thought that was a pretty interesting trade for both teams. We would get a guy that could play 3B, a nice prospect in Cain and money to help sign others. Alfonso I believe is making around 3 mill less than Konerko, could be wrong.

No thanks. Alfonso is not very good anymore, sure he's better then crede but who isn't. Cain is a nice prospect but if kenny plays our hand right in the offseason we can be a legitimate contender next year.

Well, since Konerko himself said he wonders whether he will be back next year, and with the Sox trying Gload quite a bit, it seems obvious that the Sox are going to make a few major shakeups.  Konerko may or may not be a part of them, but you have to think the Sox are going to at least consider it, especially with his trade value at its peak.

Here's a few teams I can think of that would have some interest:

Anaheim (they want to add some power and Erstad is likely going to be gone, they seem to be down on Kochman a bit, although I don't know if they would include him in a trade). 

Los Angeles - They were interested in him before and could be interested in him again, but they have a lot of in house guys (Gagne, Beltre, Perez, etc), so I highly doubt they would add him.

Boston - They have a ton of free agents and could have interest in Konerko, although personally I don't see why Boston would add more offense.  However, Johnny Damon and a good prospect would be something to at least consider, imo.  .311 AVG, .388 OBP, and 30 years old.  Steals are a bit down, but plays stellar defense in CF (has a weak arm though) and along with Rowand in RF, would help the Sox defense. 

New York - They could definately enter the sweepstakes if Giambi turns into a long term concern, but I don't necessarily see it happening nor do I see them being a good fit via trade (what would they offer us???).  Its not like they would deal Matsui for him. 

Atlanta - Could definately use a first baseman and has some players the Sox could be interested in.  Could Rafael Furcal and Juan Cruz be part of a package deal, I know I'd be interested.  .291/.358 with 24 SB just 4 CS.  Known to make some errors, but has good range and a cannon for an arm.  Cruz would fit in very nicely in the bullpen, potentially as a right handed set up man.  6-2, 2.70 ERA and he's been dominate the last two months or so as he appears to be getting very comfortable.  Just 25 years old, while Furcal is 26.  Sox would save a bit of money as well. 

Baltimore - Gibbons is struggling, Palmerio will play how much longer?  Don't know if they'd be willing to give up some of their young pitching though.  However, Jay Gibbons would be a nice bat to acquire, especially if his value is down.  He's a strong, good left handed hitter, imo, who has been hampered by injuries this year.  A guy worth taking a chance on. 

San Francisco - Snow is going to be gone and they could use a legit hitter to give Bonds some protection.  Konerko has done a solid job in the cleanup spot this year and would fit in at first.  San Fran has some quality young pitchers it could give up.  However, I think it would be more likely that a deal with the Giants would be a 3 way type deal.

Personally I'd love to get Furcal and Cruz on the southside.  The Sox have showed interest in both guys in years past and would be tremendous fits, imo.

Let's see:

I don't see who anaheim could give us for Pauly

LA - I wouldn't mind Edwin Jackson and the Young Firstbaseman they have

Who could Boston give us for Konerko? I know I would love to sign David Ortiz as a lefty Power hitter and he's dangerous. Even tho frank will be back to DH

If the Yanks would give Robinson Cano and Dioner Navarro, then bye Pauly

I like the Atalnta Idea, I don't know if they're gonna give up on Laroche just yet. I would love to get Furcal and Cruz, Maybe even if they would throw in La Roche. Juan Cruz is a future closer, he's got the stuff.

Baltimore. I don't think they're going to give up on Gibbons just yet. He's been hurt this year. I wouldn't mind Picking up Luis Matos or Jorge Julio

Konerko could put up good numbers with the Giants hitting behind Bonds. If they would throw in Merkin Valdez and others i would consider doing that trade

I'm not saying that any of this would happen, but it's just my Opinion. If Kenny is going to shakeup things i just hope he gets the best Quality in return

I love Furcal. I want Guzman or Furcal...just two of my favorite players.

Ohhhh Ya scared me there for a moment :lol:

Furcal can play, good speed, I think Ozzie could do a lot with his speed. Cruz is got good stuff, i've liked him since he was with the cubs. Still think he's closer material

Or he could have a season like 5 out of his last 6.  2003 was a fluke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5908

And here's how you can tell --

year - Avg - (AB/K)

1999 - .294 - 7.54

2000 - .298 - 7.27

2001 - .282 - 6.53

2002 - .304 - 7.92

2003 - .234 - 8.89

2004 - .273 - 5.27

Normally his K's mirror his BA -- More K's=lower BA -- Last season, he K'ed at a the lowest rated of his career, yet posted the lowest BA of his career...

My theory is just that he became conscience of his low BA, and actually cut down on his swing to make more contact -- The result was more weak GB's and GIDP's.

I'd love either the move with Boston or the move with Atlanta...either helps the team immensely.

Also...I think the Dodgers will make a very strong push at Delgado in FA, and I think they'll get him. He and Shawn Green are pretty good buddies from their Blue Jay days, and Delgado is in a sabermatician's wet dream.

Gload needs to play everyday and if that means shipping Konerko Im all for it. How about Konerko for Andrew Jones straight up. Jones could hit 40 home runs at the Cell and we would have a gold glover in CF. Move Rowand to right and you have a pretty good outfield.

Atlanta would in all likelyhood not accept Konerko for Jones straight up. They probably wouldn't even consider it. And with good reason.