New Hints at the '05 Sox

beck72

From today's papers:

Daily Southtown: "We have a center fielder, we have a left fielder and we have to see who's out there to see who we can get," Guillen said.

Guillen wants the Sox to have more speed and a stronger defense next year — with or without Ordonez.

"I want defense. I want people who can run," Guillen said. "I think (hitting coach) Greg Walker doesn't want to hear that, but that's the way we're going to go.

"To me, the teams that win are the teams that have speed, chase the ball and pitch."

Chicago Tribune:

"But now it appears that general manager Ken Williams is looking to fill as many as five of the nine starting positions, among them third base, catcher, right field, shortstop or second base and either first base or left field."

From the sounds of this, here's who would likely be set for '05:

CF-Rowand

DH-Thomas

LF--Lee

2B or SS--Uribe

1B-- could be manned by Ross Gload, with PK traded. [Not many FA's available here; wouldn't make sense to trade for a "impact 1B" if the Sox trade one to begin with]

3B--open, with Crede unlikely kept as a bench player who can only play one position; acquire via trade, FA? FA Placido Polanco plays both 3b and 2B--the sox could use him for an important role, might be attractive for a FA as a reason to sign; Koskie may be a long shot but a solid choice

2b or SS--the sox don't seem sold on a Harris / Uribe starting tandem; of the two, Uribe has shown the most promise and should get a starting spot at either SS or 2B. Omar Vizquel is likely available

C--A Davis/ Burke tandem could get the nod. Not many other C's around fit the "speed and Defense" mold; [only a Jason Kendall would fit that description, and its hard to see the sox getting him--though I'd love it, and would give the Sox a position player/ leadoff hitter/ grinder signed for a few years]

RF--Someone in house, of Everett, Timo Perez, Escobar, Borchard, Brian Anderson, Andres Torres, or sign a FA to a 1 yr deal, or Via Trade. Not a lot of good options here. {Unless the Sox could trade for an impact CFer [ala Juan Pierre], having Aaron in RF would be a solid choice.

There are many unknowns. But for some reason, I look for some deal with FLA this offseason. With Florida not making the playoffs after some big moves, and a stadium deal unlikely, something tells me that one of Pierre or Castillo could be traded for in the right deal. LoDuca could hit #2, and both Pierre and Castillo could hit leadoff. Either could fit in nicely on the Sox. And their GM has shown a willingness to take big chances. And we know how KW operates.

Should be an interesting offseason to say the least. and its long overdue

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this makes me think about last offseason when we waited and waited and waited for something to happen. KW is going to have to take a new approach...

8 years since we signed a significant FA in the offseason - belle.

There will be FA's signed. Not the biggest names but some will come to the Sox. The biggest reasons--The Sox have openings and cash to spend

If Ozzie doesn't make Uribe the starting SS and Harris the starting 2B then he is a f***ing idiot.

They are great defensively and Harris would end up being the #9 hitter. Seriously he would have something wrong with him if he's too stupid to see that.

You keep beating this drum, but I don't think Guillen is listening.

Further, IMO, Guillen knows a lot more about baseball than you do.

this makes me think about last offseason when we waited and waited and waited for something to happen. KW is going to have to take a new approach...

8 years since we signed a significant FA in the offseason - belle.

Why does it have to be a free agent? We have picked up ton of quality players through trades.

I'm encouraged that Kenny is thinking of a dump 'em all strategy, but with a 4.99 ERA, I'm not so sure that focusing on the pitching staff isn't more important.

Also - Freddy Garcia with a 4.95 ERA in a Sox uni doesn't look so good.

Jose Contreras starting to look like a bust inasmuch as the Sox have two more years of him at $6 million per.

If Ozzie doesn't make Uribe the starting SS and Harris the starting 2B then he is a f***ing idiot.

They are great defensively and Harris would end up being the #9 hitter. Seriously he would have something wrong with him if he's too stupid to see that.

I totally agree. Unless the Sox can get a significantly better second baseman or shortstop, then Uribe and Harris should be playing. I mentioned earlier I'd like to see Harris play in center, Rowand in right, and Uribe at second. Then the Sox could sign Visquel.

I'm encouraged that Kenny is thinking of a dump 'em all strategy, but with a 4.99 ERA, I'm not so sure that focusing on the pitching staff isn't more important.

Also - Freddy Garcia with a 4.95 ERA in a Sox uni doesn't look so good.

Jose Contreras starting to look like a bust inasmuch as the Sox have two more years of him at $6 million per.

Re: your point on pitching, I think you're right, and this is more important than everyone's making it. 3 of our 4 starters for next year are talented (good stuff), but maddeningly inconsistent. We can't count on 3 break-out seasons on our staff.

But I don't like the "dump 'em all" strategy. We get rid of PK or Lee, we have another question mark. We're not going to get two players who are just as good for one of them -- if we're the one shopping them, I'm not sure we'd get even value.

Does anyone know how many teams have had this much turnover (4-5 lineup players) and competed (at least won their division) the next year?

Only if the Sox landed a 3B man like Koskie or better, and traded for a leadoff man. Then the Willie/ Uribe combo wouldn't be bad. A crede, uribe, willie and gload IF, without a top notch OF, would make the sox a 4th place team.

I would ask the fans that post here to step back and consider the overall impacct to the team if certain trades are made. I can't understand the clamor to trade someone like Paul Konerko and replace him with Ross Gload. Paulie is hitting .280 plus with 39 homers and over 100 RBI's. Gload is a utility player, who does very well in filling that role. Trade Carlos Lee, who is hitting .300 with 26 plus homers and 90 RBI's and who does a real good job in the OF. Trade Crede, who has a lot of talent, but replace him with who? Uribe is a super sub, who perfomrs even better than Graffanino did in that role. Valdez is a possible I.F. reserve. We need pitching folks #1. We need an ace closer more than anything in my book and a good starter. I would even be reluctant to let Valentin go. We have given up too much in the last 2 years in young talent going after Everett and Robbie Alomar, not once but twice. I see Jon Rauch over in Montreal is now 2-0 and has thrown two consecutive 3 inning long relief stints giving up zero runs. Keith Foulke saved game #30 with Boston. We could have still had Keith if we had been willing to pay a little money. We haven't had a solid relief ace since he was traded. Folks, you don't trade away all-star caliber players and have nothing and no one to replace them with. You need someone who can play just as good if not better. Slow down on the "let's get rid of our players bandwagon." There isn't just one player that's responsible for the Sox decline. I even could point a finger at Ozzie Guillen and say fire him, but lets give him and the others a chance.

I would ask the fans that post here to step back and consider the overall impacct to the team if certain trades are made. I can't understand the clamor to trade someone like Paul Konerko and replace him with Ross Gload. Paulie is hitting .280 plus with 39 homers and over 100 RBI's. Gload is a utility player, who does very well in filling that role. Trade Carlos Lee, who is hitting .300 with 26 plus homers and 90 RBI's and who does a real good job in the OF. Trade Crede, who has a lot of talent, but replace him with who? Uribe is a super sub, who perfomrs even better than Graffanino did in that role. Valdez is a possible I.F. reserve. We need pitching folks #1. We need an ace closer more than anything in my book and a good starter. I would even be reluctant to let Valentin go. We have given up too much in the last 2 years in young talent going after Everett and Robbie Alomar, not once but twice. I see Jon Rauch over in Montreal is now 2-0 and has thrown two consecutive 3 inning long relief stints giving up zero runs. Keith Foulke saved game #30 with Boston. We could have still had Keith if we had been willing to pay a little money. We haven't had a solid relief ace since he was traded. Folks, you don't trade away all-star caliber players and have nothing and no one to replace them with. You need someone who can play just as good if not better. Slow down on the "let's get rid of our players bandwagon." There isn't just one player that's responsible for the Sox decline. I even could point a finger at Ozzie Guillen and say fire him, but lets give him and the others a chance.

I imagine you'll get a lot of flak on this post, but...count me as at least one fan of this post. I'd prefer we get a better 3b, not sure about Valentin, but definitely agree w/ Konerko, Lee, and absolutely agree w/ the main idea. We should be disappointed w/ the team, but to ship off the best parts doesn't make much sense.

Even though I don't agree w/ some of your specific points, I think you're very right about the "start all over" tenor on the site.

There isn't just one player that's responsible for the Sox decline. I even could point a finger at Ozzie Guillen and say fire him, but lets give him and the others a chance.

Good points. A few questions for you though.

*What do you see as the reason for the Sox failing to make the playoffs four the 4th yr in a row?

*Who exactly do you want to see given more chances?

*Do you see any problems with the Sox offense, and what changes would you make?