Garland

HoosierSox

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really pisses me off is that everyone is acting like Grilli is doing as well or better then Jon.

Please wake up.

Jon has been very consistant about keeping us in games and has gone lots of times giving up 4 ER's or less over at least 6. He also has racked up some quality starts.

Jason has been getting lucky but there is no way he could do what Jon does at the major league level over a full season.

I think Garland will be much better then a 4th starter next year.

He was comparable to other 4th starters around the league this year. A few bad starts made his numbers seem higher then usual.

If he is our 5th starter next year then the Sox are going to be a damn good team.

What makes you think he'll be better next year? All of his numbers have gotten worse.

If Garland's the #5, who will be the #3 starter? Be specific with names, and how this pitcher will affect the team financially. How many teams have a fifth starter that cost between 3.5-4 million?

What makes you think he'll be better next year?  All of his numbers have gotten worse.

That sounds familiar...

I could of sworn I read the same thing about Mark Buherle this last offseason...

First off Jon has never thrown this many innings before and he is only 24. The kid still has plenty of time to improve.

What really pisses me off is that everyone is acting like Grilli is doing as well or better then Jon.

Please wake up.

Jon has been very consistant about keeping us in games and has gone lots of times giving up 4 ER's or less over at least 6. He also has racked up some quality starts.

Jason has been getting lucky but there is no way he could do what Jon does at the major league level over a full season.

Once more 6 innings and 4 earned runs may keep you in the game but it is a digusting era. The point of a 3-4 starter is to win more game than they lose unlike garland. 6 innings and 4 earned runs is more like 6th starter territory.

I think Garland will be much better then a 4th starter next year.

He was comparable to other 4th starters around the league this year. A few bad starts made his numbers seem higher then usual.

If he is our 5th starter next year then the Sox are going to be a damn good team.

For one there is no reason to believe he will better than a 4th starter next season. He has nshown no improvement this year if anything he is regressing. Secondly don't you think every pitcher has starts through out the season that make his season look worse than it actually was? You always use that excuse for him bet it happens to nearly every pitcher in the course of a season.

That sounds familiar...

I could of sworn I read the same thing about Mark Buherle this last offseason...

First off Jon has never thrown this many innings before and he is only 24. The kid still has plenty of time to improve.

Well it's kind of hard to improve numbers like 16-8 with a 3.29 ERA, or a 19-12 record with a 3.58 ERA, compared to going 12-12 with an ERA around 4.50.

Garland has shown no signs of improvements this year, whereas Mark has better numbers than last year, should've been an All-Star, and more importantly, he is a still WINNING pitcher, something Garland can't say.

As for this Garland is young bulls***, we've been hearing it for the past 3 seasons. He has nearly 800 IP under his belt, he's not a kid anymore. The reason why he is throwing more innings this year compared to previous year is due to Ozzie having more confidence in his starting pitching. Manuel HATED Garland! I recalled being at a game where Manuel pulled Garland after 78 pitches, and Garland wasn't even throwing that badly. When we are fighting for a division title, we can't waste time on a pitcher just to see if he can "improve." He was supposed to be a number 3, with #1 stuff, but now everyone wants to see him be the #5 just because he has failed in the #3 spot? :huh

Please wake up.

Two things about that. One, how do you know what Grilli can do over an entire season. The only reason why he isn't a seasoned major league pitcher right now is because of an injury. The guy has talent, and was a high draft pick not that long ago. Two, Garland has been nothing but inconsistent, and he gets paid a s*** load more to be that way. Garland has a lot of talent, but so does Kyle Farnsworth. Sometimes mental midgets just never get over the hump of being stupid.

Is it economically wise to spend 3.5-4 million on a fifth starter?  I'd rather see Felix in the #5 spot and have a quality starter to be in the #3 spot in the rotation.

So we can b**** and moan next year about the 5th starter hole being a black hole?

Felix Diaz is not a major league starter.

I'd rather pay Garland $3 million to go 11-11 from the 5th hole with a 4.8 ERA than to watch the parade of horribles the Sox trotted out this year - 100 earned runs in 100 innings (about that). Those extra 11 wins are worth a lot of $$, in my book.

Here's to hoping that the Sox make a ground-ball, top-of-the-rotation starter like Clement, Odalis Perez or Carl Pavano their #1 free agent signing. Here's to hoping that Garland is a #5 starter for the White Sox next year and puts up the same numbers as this year....

And here's to hoping that Jose Contreras gets a brain transplant in the offseason.

So we can b**** and moan next year about the 5th starter hole being a black hole?

Felix Diaz is not a major league starter.

I'd rather pay Garland $3 million to go 11-11 from the 5th hole with a 4.8 ERA than to watch the parade of horribles the Sox trotted out this year - 100 earned runs in 100 innings (about that).  Those extra 11 wins are worth a lot of $$, in my book.

Here's to hoping that the Sox make a ground-ball, top-of-the-rotation starter like Clement, Odalis Perez or Carl Pavano their #1 free agent signing.  Here's to hoping that Garland is a #5 starter for the White Sox next year and puts up the same numbers as this year....

And here's to hoping that Jose Contreras gets a brain transplant in the offseason.

Paying Garland 3 million won't leave enough money to sign Pavano. We'll HAVE to trade Konerko or Lee if we want to sign either Clement or Perez in addition to Garland. How are we going to make up for the loss of offense that Konerko or Carlos give us if we spend all our money on pitching.

I would love to see a rotation of

Buehrle

Garcia

Perez

Contreras

Garland

but that would cost us at least 28 million for next year.

The problem with Jon is so many people had very high expectations for him(I know I did) Like qwerty said, the sox came into the season with him as the 3rd starter and the sox organization as well as many fans thought he'd fit that bill but he hasn't come close to it. Garland would be a very nice 5th starter, people get annoyed and angry with him though because he has so much potential but he pitches with no balls and because of this he'll probably never meet that potential leaving him as a 4th or 5th starter for the rest of his career. This could change around but I've given up thinking he's going to be a top of the rotation guy but like I said I have no problem with him being the 5th starter.

Not only has Grilli been ineffective at the MLB level (his performance only seems good compared to our other 5th starters this year), but I don't trust a veteran pitcher who had a 4.83 ERA in the minor leagues! There's no way in the world that a team with Jason Grilli in their starting rotation will be a playoff caliber team. Every start that Grilli has, he's one pitch away it seems from getting knocked out of the game early. He's no different than Danny Wright.

Not only has Grilli been ineffective at the MLB level (his performance only seems good compared to our other 5th starters this year), but I don't trust a veteran pitcher who had a 4.83 ERA in the minor leagues!

Let me get this straight; Grilli is the veteran, and Garland is the young gun with promise? :bang