The "realistic" plan

whitesox61382

Not a snowballs chance in hell.

I agree. I think it's likely that Vizquel will be the big FA signing and any other significant changes come through trades to try and stay salary neutral. I'm basing this on absolutely nothing but my opinion, so odds of it being an accurate prediction aren't that great :)

Anyone that knows more about the Sox organization have a feeling about this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken, than the Sox will have roughly 62M tied up for next year(this includes estimated arb. and increases). It is hard to say what the final payroll will be, but I think it is reasonable to expect at least a slight increase(this past season was 68M). If JR is willing to spend 75-76M, than the following offseason and roster wouldn't be unrealistic.

Sign Vizquel 4M/yr

Sign OPerez 7M/yr

Trade a couple of prospects for  Julio/Kolb/Baez(about 2-3M for any of three)

The roster would look as followed:

SS Vizquel

CF Rowand

DH Thomas

LF Lee

1B Konerko

RF Everett

2B Uribe

3B Crede

C Davis

The lineup is as dangerous as the lineup that started this season(with a healthy Maggs and Thomas). You add a quality top of the order hitter, a lefty(switch hitter) in the middle, and hopefully an improvement from Crede.

RH Garcia

LH Buehrle

LH Perez

RH Contreras

RH Garland

The rotation is 10x better than last year rotation. The two holdovers are Buehlre and Garland, and when you compare Loaiza(not 2003 form), Schoeneweis, and the army of 5th starters to Garcia, Perez, and Contreras it is like comparing night and day. Any way that you look at it, the rotation is drastically improved with the potential to be one of the top rotations in baseball.

RH Takatsu

RH Julio/Kolb/Baez

LH Marte

RH Politte

LH Cotts

RH Adkins

The bullpen would probably be better with the addition of a quality right handed reliever like Julio/Kolb/Baez(all with closing experience). You also hope that either/both Cotts and/or Adkins will show improvement.

1B/DH Gload

2B Harris

C Burke

OF Borchard/Escobar

IF Valdez

The bench is pretty solid and offers a little bit of everything power, speed, defense, ect.

Is this scenerio that unrealistic? I hope not, because I think the Sox would be improved across the board(when compared to the team that started the year). Last year the papers speculated that the Sox would end up with a payroll around 60M, and JR surprised us with a payroll of 68M, so is it that unlikely to have a payroll around 76M(especially with an increase in revenue)? I know that it is likely for the Sox to trade Konerko or Lee, but weren't the same things being said last offseason? I know that there have been talks about drastic changes, but I think the roster just needs a little treaking(and some health).

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Far and away the most realistic roster I've seen on this board. I think this is exactly what we should expect our roster to look like.

Disclaimer: Don't get your hopes up on Danny Kolb. Brewers GM Doug Melivn is going to do whatever it takes to make him a Brewer for a long, long time. I wouldn't expect him to be going anywhere.

I heard a sports columnist from Boston talking about Derek Lowe and said that after his post-season he's expecting to command potentially 10 million plus a year. 

Personally I dont think a postseason makes you worth that considering his regular season numbers were horrid.  Thats just me, but he does have good stuff and if he happened to be out their cheaper it could be an option.

He deserves six million a year, seven tops. He gets ten that will be ridiculous.

I like that idea.

Pretty much the same as mine, except I'd have a trade of Konerko going to either Anahiem or Baltimore in which we get (from Baltimore) at least Hairston and Julio or from Anahiem, Shields and Erstad/Guillen.  The second trade possibility is unrealistc, but I agree with your premise that we need another 7th/8th inning right handed pitcher.

You wouldn't get Shields for Konerko. There were talks about how Anaheim wouldn't include Shields(along with others of course) in a package to Arizona for RJ. I think that tells you a little bit of how much they value Scott Shields.

I would like Hairston and Julio for Konerko though. Move Gload to 1B, and have Everett become the team's 1B/OF type, and the good thing about Everett is that he can actually play the OF(unlike Gload). If Gload can't hack starting, you have Everett start at 1B.

Hairston is a big-time risk to stay healthy...but when he does stay healthy, he can be a pretty solid player. If we were to acquire him, he would become the leadoff hitter with Vizquel moving down to the #2 spot where he is much more comfortable. If that happened, I'd imagine the lineup would look similar to this...

Hairston - RF/CF

Vizquel - SS

Thomas - DH

Lee - LF

Rowand - CF/RF

Gload - 1B

Uribe - 2B

Crede - 3B

Davis - C

why does everyone have such a hard on for hairston??? I dont get it. I am not sure if it is just one guy who replies to every thread about how they want him so bad, but it seems that on every topic someone brings up getting Jerry Hairston

He only played half a season this year with decent numbers. BUt is a career 261 hitter with terrible power numbers. Not exactly a great RF replacement. Will someone please school me on your thinking, because im beginning to think there is one guy out there with 5 logons trying to get someone to say that picking up hairston is a great idea

why does everyone have such a hard on for hairston??? I dont get it.  I am not sure if it is just one guy who replies to every thread about how they want him so bad, but it seems that on every topic someone brings up getting Jerry Hairston

He only played half a season this year with decent numbers.  BUt is a career 261 hitter with terrible power numbers.  Not exactly a great RF replacement.  Will someone please school me on your thinking, because im beginning to think there is one guy out there with 5 logons trying to get someone to say that picking up hairston is a great idea

RF replacement? He plays second base.

I (and others) like him because when healthy, he's a speedy secondbaseman who's able to get on base at a pretty damn good clip. We also like him because we feel that a platoon of Hairston/Harris at 2B would be able to be a damn good two headed monster at the top of the order. He's a bit injury-prone, but he doesn't make that much, so it's not a huge risk in picking him up. Plus, they (Baltimore) has Roberts at second who they like better, making Hairston expendable.

RF replacement?  He plays second base.

I (and others) like him because when healthy, he's a speedy secondbaseman who's able to get on base at a pretty damn good clip.  We also like him because we feel that a platoon of Hairston/Harris at 2B would be able to be a damn good two headed monster at the top of the order.  He's a bit injury-prone, but he doesn't make that much, so it's not a huge risk in picking him up.  Plus, they (Baltimore) has Roberts at second who they like better, making Hairston expendable.

If the sox wanted to they could put him in center and move rowand over to right since hairston can play every outfield position.

Why would we want another homerun guy?

Seriously, I'd love to have Hairson, especially with it looking like Vizquel is going to come here, having him and omar at the top of the order would allow us to put Arow down in the lineup and make juan a super utility guy and allow him to be the fulltime 3b if Crede fudges up again.

with terrible power numbers.

Since typically a right fielder is suppose to have pretty good power numbers, all they would have to do is slide rowand over to right field. Then hairston would have power numbers comparable to the majority of center fielders in baseball.

Well, since we're discussing realisitic rosters for next, maybe it's appropriate to mention the article on the Sox website which says:

White Sox general manager Ken Williams told me last week that the payroll for 2005 figures to check in around the same point it was when 2004 concluded. That total should be somewhere between $63 million and $65 million

That's rather disappointing. I think it does mean the Konerko or Lee will have to be moved if the Sox plan any acquisitions beyond Vizquel (or whomever they pick up for 4 million a year). The article again strongly suggests it will be Lee since the Sox are "loaded with young outfield talent". Of course, none of that talent can replace his numbers next year, if in fact it pans out at all. If Lee gets traded in a salary dump, I'll be very disappointed. I know he can bring more in return than Konerko, but if the Sox want to win next year it seems clear to me that Konerko is the one they should shop. He almost led the AL in HRs, there should be some market for him.

The article did manage to brighten my mood somewhat though, since it had some pretty funny stuff to say towards the end:

Although his numbers don't back up the assessment, Jason Grilli asserted himself in the rotation's final spot during the last month of the season.

...Go all the way back to February, when non-roster invitee Robert Person ruptured his Achilles right before Spring Training. A healthy Person could have been a stellar addition, much along the lines of Esteban Loaiza in the previous year.

Every game that I have to watch Carl Freakin' Everett in the OF will be yet another game that i cringe on any flyball hit out there. I'm sorry, but from day 1 that we got Carl, I've been undeniably against him ever seeing the defensive side of the game. The guy just can't read the ball off the bat, and don't even get me started on his throws back to the infield.

As for Borchard...we should have gotten what we could for him 2 years ago before any GMs in the league saw what an abysmal swing he had at teh big league level. But, I imagine someone has to play right field. /puke

And its painfully obvious that either CLee or Konerko will be wearing a different uniform next year....I'm kind of torn as to which I want to keep. CLee IMO is one of the more undervalued members of this franchise. Konerko sure, he has his offensive capability, and plays a decent first base, but I can't take the slow foot speed anymore, especially if Ozzie wants to regear the direction of the team.

RF replacement?  He plays second base.

I (and others) like him because when healthy, he's a speedy secondbaseman who's able to get on base at a pretty damn good clip.  We also like him because we feel that a platoon of Hairston/Harris at 2B would be able to be a damn good two headed monster at the top of the order.  He's a bit injury-prone, but he doesn't make that much, so it's not a huge risk in picking him up.  Plus, they (Baltimore) has Roberts at second who they like better, making Hairston expendable.

so in your words, an injury prone speedy 2b project..........sounds alot like willie harris 2 me....didnt know we wanted some more of that. I saw this guy down the block the other day who was running from a dog, had some speed, probably couldnt hit a ball, but it looks like he could get to the base if he had the chance. (maybe he is a FA)

Vizquel is a mistake. The Sox should go after Planco. He's a free agent.

They need a #1 pitcher. Likely not a free agent, but possibly a trade. Maybe Lee or Konerko?

Lowe is over-rated. He's a converted relief pitcher with one - ONE - good year. His stats gets worse every year... And what if his cancer comes back. I say pass on Lowe...

so in your words, an injury prone speedy 2b project..........sounds alot like willie harris 2 me....didnt know we wanted some more of that.  I saw this guy down the block the other day who was running from a dog, had some speed, probably couldnt hit a ball, but it looks like he could get to the base if he had the chance. (maybe he is a FA)

Please, stop making stuff up.

First off, I wouldn't call Hairston a 'project' -- when he's healthy, he's a very excellent player. He doesn't make that much money, therefore, the risk isn't big. Good OBP, good improving average, something we need.

And since when is Harris injury prone?

Oh, and funny joke at the end. I almost laughed... :rolly

I think we have to have a healthy Frank all year for any chance of anything. He totally changes how other teams approach us.

Definetely, his patience at the plate and power is really underappreciated here in chicago. His patience and fear to pitch to him help other players as well, including himself.

I doubt Vizquel will lead off, looks like A-Row might have to, if we don't sign or trade for a leadoff hitter and Willie isn't back in the lineup.

If we get vizquel, you would rather have rowand leadoff??

Vizquel is a lot more patient, is faster, a great baserunner, and is a good contact hitter. I like Rowand at the 2 spot right now anyways.