The 2005 Sox

whitesox91403

I really believe that The Sox are in a good position to contend in 2005. Obviously, some moves need to be made and I have full faith that they will.

As everyone knows they really need to add a starter and a bullpen guy. I think we will se those come via free agency. I just don't think RJ or one of the big 3 from Oakland is happening. I am leaning more toward Russ Ortiz or Brad Radke or Matt Clement type and would like to see Antonio Osuna brought back. I think that gives them the best pitching staff in The Central. If only Garland could put it together.

I don't think we need to trade Konerko, although I wouldn't object to it. The Offense doesn't need an overhaul, someone like EY and maybe Hidalgo or Dye could be brought in for the bench and as Carl Everett or Willie Harris insurance.

Hopefully a healthy Frank and continued improvement out of Crede and a follow up season by Rowand could off set the loss of Maggs. Also, when healthy, Carl Everett can produce.

I really liked Wislon Valdez, IMO, I think he deserves a shot.

These are all my opinions, I still think we are better off more so than the rest of The Central.

you have to make the right ones and he hasn't done it.

What right moves did he not make? We probably had one of the most talented teams in baseball in 2003 but they just didn't get the job done. I don't agree with everything KW has said or done but he has put a quality team on the field year after year. Last year sucked cause we lost Maggs for 3/4 of the seasons and Frank for 1/2 but we still finished 9 games out. I'm tired of everyone bashing KW. His job is to put a good team on the field year by year. It's the players job to then win.

What right moves did he not make? We probably had one of the most talented teams in baseball in 2003 but they just didn't get the job done. I don't agree with everything KW has said or done but he has put a quality team on the field year after year. Last year sucked cause we lost Maggs for 3/4 of the seasons and Frank for 1/2 but we still finished 9 games out. I'm tired of everyone bashing KW. His job is to put a good team on the field year by year. It's the players job to then win.

I agree with everything you've said. What could have been with that 2003 team. KW does everything he can to put a winner out there, for one reason or another they just don't.

I don't see us contending until Kenny Williams is fired. It fine to make tins of moves, but you have to make the right ones and he hasn't done it. He took over a team that finished 1st and he hasn't brought us back there yet. Something has to give with him.

2000 was a fluke. I explained it in another thread, and it has been explained multiple other times too.

In the technicality of it, he did take over a division winner...but that team's core needed a bunch of changing, because that pitching was not playoff caliber ever at any point.

It's hard to really imagine what moves the Sox may make. However, realistically, I see the adding of a good starter, someone like Ortiz or Clement, the addition of a decent bullpen guy, maybe Farnsworth, and a middle infielder...Renteria or Walker at best. The team probably won't look much different than last year, but that doesn't mean bad news. If they concentrate on the little things and solid pitching, things may be okay. But, unless we find a way to beat the Twins, it's a moot point.

Here is my possible 2005 Line Up

1. Rowand- CF

2. Todd Walker- 2B

3. Frank Thomas- DH

4. Carlos Lee-LF

5. Paul Konerko- 1B

6. Carl Everett- RF

7. Joe Crede- 3B

8. Juan Uribe- SS

9. Ben Davis- C

Bench

Jamie Burke

Timo Perez

Ross Gload

Willie Harris

Alex Escobar

Rotation:

Garcia

Buehrle

Russ Ortiz

Contreras

Garland

Pen:

Takatsu

Marte

Politte

Antonio Osuna

Adkins

Cotts

Here is my possible 2005 Line Up

1. Rowand- CF

2. Todd Walker- 2B

3. Frank Thomas- DH

4. Carlos Lee-LF

5. Paul Konerko- 1B

6. Carl Everett- RF

7. Joe Crede- 3B

8. Juan Uribe- SS

9. Ben Davis- C

Bench

Jamie Burke

Timo Perez

Ross Gload

Willie Harris

Alex Escobar

Rotation:

Garcia

Buehrle

Russ Ortiz

Contreras

Garland

Pen:

Takatsu

Marte

Politte

Antonio Osuna

Adkins

Cotts

I pray to God every day that Russ Ortiz is not in our rotation.

And I'm almost serious too. I want no piece of him. He's not a real good pitcher.

I do not want Todd Walker playing 2B for us next year. Not saying I don't like him as a hitter, just saying that he is not good defensively, and I think being strong up the middle defensively is very underrated by a lot of people.

I pray to God every day that Russ Ortiz is not in our rotation.

And I'm almost serious too. I want no piece of him. He's not a real good pitcher.

I do not want Todd Walker playing 2B for us next year. Not saying I don't like him as a hitter, just saying that he is not good defensively, and I think being strong up the middle defensively is very underrated by a lot of people

Holy Crap.. I agree with you 100%

I agree with everything you've said. What could have been with that 2003 team. KW does everything he can to put a winner out there, for one reason or another they just don't.

You are so wrong. it's pathetic. No team could have won in 2003 with Koch used the way he was, and who got him for us? KW. Talented team. We gave up great prospects for Everett and Alomar. Did that make us talented?

You are so wrong. it's pathetic.  No team could have won in 2003 with Koch used the way he was, and who got him for us?  KW.  Talented team.  We gave up great prospects for Everett and Alomar.  Did that make us talented?

Yes, without a doubt that made us talented, but the talent didn't translate into a division title.

You are so wrong. it's pathetic.  No team could have won in 2003 with Koch used the way he was, and who got him for us?  KW.  Talented team.  We gave up great prospects for Everett and Alomar.  Did that make us talented?

Why couldn't KW see that Koch was going to lose 7 mph of his fastball during spring training of '03? Looking back at it, sure, it seems like a dumb move. At the time, Koch was the reigning AL Rolaids Reliever.

Where are all these great prospects today?

LOL!!!!

"great prospects?"

Please tell me what good "great prospects" are a team is in a pennant chase. They are only good for trading.

Edwin Almonte has been released by the Mets, "Our future closer" Royce Ring couldn't cut it in the Mets AAA organization, and is now with their AA team, and I can't find anything on the where-abouts of Andrew Salvo. :huh:

Frankie Francisco had a pretty good year with the Rangers, but will forever be remembered as the guy who threw a chair into the stands at Oakland. Anthony Webster is with the Stockton Ports (A), and Josh Rupe is with the Frisco RoughRiders (AA) putting up unimpressive numbers.

I ask you, how many of these six "great" players would've helped the White Sox in 2003 and 2004?

I ask you, how many of these six "great" players would've helped the White Sox in 2003 and 2004?

Only francisco, but i have also heard people say that he would not have been on the sox this year which i find hard to believe. He is not better than mike jackson? My ass.

Only francisco, but i have also heard people say that he would not have been on the sox this year which i find hard to believe. He is not better than mike jackson? My ass.

At that point in time, these critics of KW would be too busy ripping on him for not making any moves to put us over the hump back in 2003, and could care less whom would be filling out our bullpen for 2004. :rolly

Hell, looking at Frankie's splits, he didn't even pitch in the majors in April, and his ERA in May was 6.14.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...7911&statType=2

I really believe that The Sox are in a good position to contend in 2005. Obviously, some moves need to be made and I have full faith that they will.

They are definetely in a good position as the Twins lose some key players. We have a good team right now(2 dependable starters, 2 with lots of potential but havent performed up to par). We get another dependable starter and Garland or Contreras step up big time, we will be in great shape. Our offense is still good(2 players who will be the variables in the sucess of our offense-Everett and Crede). We are weak at C and 2B. We have a good base and if Kenny makes the right(obvious) moves will easily take the AL central crown.

Where are all these great prospects today?

Everett prospects...

Frankie Francisco is doing the best, logging some very solid MLB innings. However, he had the whole chair throwing incident.

Josh Rupe had a solid year in the minors, going from low A ball to start the year and he ended up in AA. His splits were 6-2 3.43 ERA in 63.3 IP between low A, high A, and AA, with a WHIP of 1.42, K/9 of roughly 7 and a K/BB of 1.7. Most of those are dramatically effected because of a rough year once making it to AA.

Anthony Webster hit .287 8 44 20-for-24 in SB attempts with an .802 OPS in about 425 plate appearances. That was in low A ball(I believe).

A wash, in my book. We won't know the benefits Texas gets from this for a few years.

Alomar prospects...

Royce Ring went 5-3 3.70 ERA in 63.3 IP between AA and AAA this year, with a WHIP of 1.34, with a K/9 of 6.4, and a K/BB of about 2. Nothing too spectacular

Edwin Almonte posted a 5.50 ERA for the Red Sox AAA team. That's all you need to know.

Andrew Salvo played for an independent league team.

Damn, we got ripped off in that deal.