Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Oh I loved the New World.  One of the best movies of the year.  I think anybody interested in American History should see this.  It is very accurate and will probably become a video that they show in History Classes when they are talking about Jamestown and the settlement of the colonists and Native Americans instead of Pocahontas (which is just a corny romance has not historical accuracy.)  It is also not a chick flick.  It has some great battle sequences and the sets are amazing.  What is the problem with making a love story.  I also recomend another great movie called Junebug.  this movie is a great comedy. I laughed a lot and it is very sweet and warm hearted.

^I rest my case.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow, if anyone has three hours to waste--either from 7-10pm or 10-1am--watch "Grizzly Man" on Discovery Channel. I the topic detailed within the documentary was recently discussed on Soxtalk. It chronicles the life and death of grizzly bear enthusiast (Timony Treadwell) living amongst his cherished carnivores. Unfortunately, one day a bear decides he's either hungry or fed up with Tim's nonsense and chomps on his head, kills his girlfriend, then dismembers both their bodies. And no, we don't see or hear any of it.

It goes without much debate this guy was absolutely insane. You figure that's obvious for anyone willing to spend several months every year, for thirteen years, alone with ferocious, 1,000 pound creatures.

Two of my favorite parts of the movie were when an Ecologist reads an email which suggests "Bears feast on libs and dems.......More should be included around the Berkley campus," and Treadwell's enthusiasm for observing a bear's recently laid pile of crap. Honorable mention goes to the utter gayness he conveys throughout the film.

"I LOVE YOU MR. BEAR!"

"Look at that dying flower--IT'S...SO...SAD."

"If there's a God, please rain. MOTHER BEARS ARE FORCED TO EAT THEIR CUBS!"

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
Tomorrow, if anyone has three hours to waste--either from 7-10pm or 10-1am--watch "Grizzly Man" on Discovery Channel. I the topic detailed within the documentary was recently discussed on Soxtalk. It chronicles the life and death of grizzly bear enthusiast (Timony Treadwell) living amongst his cherished carnivores. Unfortunately, one day a bear decides he's either hungry or fed up with Tim's nonsense and chomps on his head, kills his girlfriend, then dismembers both their bodies. And no, we don't see or hear any of it.

It goes without much debate this guy was absolutely insane. You figure that's obvious for anyone willing to spend several months every year, for thirteen years, alone with ferocious, 1,000 pound creatures.

Two of my favorite parts of the movie were when an Ecologist reads an email which suggests "Bears feast on libs and dems.......More should be included around the Berkley campus," and Treadwell's enthusiasm for observing a bear's recently laid pile of crap. Honorable mention goes to the utter gayness he conveys throughout the film.

"I LOVE YOU MR. BEAR!"

"Look at that dying flower--IT'S...SO...SAD."

"If there's a God, please rain. MOTHER BEARS ARE FORCED TO EAT THEIR CUBS!"

i saw bits and pieces of it last night, holy crap that guy was absolutely nuts. When he's looking at the giant piece of poo, he touches it and whispers, "this was just inside of her, how beautiful.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
ok, whip it out...I wanna see "ID." you can't be jewish :lol:

Nope, I'm goyim through and through, despite what the yutz (aka shlong aka shmeckel aka shvanz, putz, shmuck. . . ) may have to say about it. But my Irish bubbe on my Dad's side hung with lots of bubbes of miscelaneous eastern European descent back in her time and learned to make some seriously good Jewish food. Her Polish food in particular was mighty good. In college I had to teach a Polish friend about the joys of good keeshka.

*finally* went and saw Walk the Line. Really, a good film. Joaquim Pheonix was incredible. I really felt like it was Johnny Cash I was watching. Really good. Even my non-Johnny Cash liking friend enjoyed it.

Tonight: Capote.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
He has said his star ratings and thumbs up mean very little... it's just something he has to do. To get how he truly feels you have to read his reviews. He has some of the best reviews out there because he describes what the movie is about so well. I know the majority of the time how i will feel about a movie by just reading what he says ( even if i disagree with him... because there are certain things he does not like that i do).

he reviews the film based on what the director intended to do and what he and the audience going to the movie expect.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
*finally* went and saw Walk the Line. Really, a good film. Joaquim Pheonix was incredible. I really felt like it was Johnny Cash I was watching. Really good. Even my non-Johnny Cash liking friend enjoyed it.

Tonight: Capote.

good movie

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)

Just saw that again tonight. It was even better the second time. The difference between this movie and Ray is that in the end Johnny Cash becomes a great person while ray stays a dickhead.

Joaquin Phoenix must win best actor, Paul Giamatti should win supporting.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 02:08 AM)
Just saw that again tonight. It was even better the second time. The difference between this movie and Ray is that in the end Johnny Cash becomes a great person while ray stays a dickhead.

Joaquin Phoenix must win best actor, Paul Giamatti should win supporting.

I think that Philip Seymour Hoffman was more amazing in Capote, though. Which was also an incredible moving. It was really interesting, I had no idea that Capote was such a total amoral self-serving jerk. It was definitely a good movie and I really enjoyed watching a biography of a true American classic novel. Great movie, and like I said, PSH was absolutely mind-boggling as Capote. Really, absolutely stunning.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
I think that Philip Seymour Hoffman was more amazing in Capote, though. Which was also an incredible moving. It was really interesting, I had no idea that Capote was such a total amoral self-serving jerk. It was definitely a good movie and I really enjoyed watching a biography of a true American classic novel. Great movie, and like I said, PSH was absolutely mind-boggling as Capote. Really, absolutely stunning.

I haven't seen the film yet, but insdiers say it's a natural fit for PSH to play Capote. Both rather, uh 'eccentric' personalities.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
I haven't seen the film yet, but insdiers say it's a natural fit for PSH to play Capote.  Both rather, uh 'eccentric' personalities.

I'd buy that, but when yo usee PSH in this role it really isn't him. If that makes sense, you don't see the actor AT ALL at any point. It's really amazing. I can't describe it.