Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I just got back from The New World.  It was the longest, most boring piece of crap I've seen in a while.

There is basically no fight scenes.  There's one, to be exact.  And it was just a love story.  It sucked.

Thx, I almost got suckered into that. I thought it focused more on the first interaction between the English and Native Americans.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Thx, I almost got suckered into that.  I thought it focused more on the first interaction between the English and Native Americans.

Very little of that, too. The girl seemingly becomes fluent in English in a few months, which is glazed over in about 10 minutes. The movie was not what I expected.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 03:16 AM)
The newest is by far the best version of ... oliver twist

Haven't see it yet, but I'm sure Roman Polanski made it a unique interpretation.

I still like musical. I mean, what could be more natural than happy singing orphan-slaves in filth-ridden Victorian London? :)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I've been waiting to see this.  I usually read what Ebert has to say and then subtract 1 star from his rating.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EVIEWS/60117002

messing around on ebert's website i saw this:

Re: "Glory Road" and coach Don Haskins. Thought you would be interested to know that Mr. Haskins received roughly $375,000 for the movie. The players received about $7,500 apiece. When Haskins found out how little the players received, he insisted that his portion be divided evenly amongst all. Everyone then received roughly $37,000, including Mr. Haskins. What a man.

how cool!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
I am thinking about renting The Aristocrats and it sounds like it will be either a riot, or horrible...  Without scanning 80 pages here, what did people think of it???

I suggest watching it with your grandparents. It's safe. Heck, it's got Bob Sagett in it so how bad can it be? :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
I am thinking about renting The Aristocrats and it sounds like it will be either a riot, or horrible...  Without scanning 80 pages here, what did people think of it???

Nothing offends me, and I love vulgar humor. I've walked out of one movie in my entire life, and that was The Aristocrats. It simply was not funny, and it just dragged on and on.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 08:54 PM)
I just got back from The New World.  It was the longest, most boring piece of crap I've seen in a while.

There is basically no fight scenes.  There's one, to be exact.  And it was just a love story.  It sucked.

Oh I loved the New World. One of the best movies of the year. I think anybody interested in American History should see this. It is very accurate and will probably become a video that they show in History Classes when they are talking about Jamestown and the settlement of the colonists and Native Americans instead of Pocahontas (which is just a corny romance has not historical accuracy.) It is also not a chick flick. It has some great battle sequences and the sets are amazing. What is the problem with making a love story. I also recomend another great movie called Junebug. this movie is a great comedy. I laughed a lot and it is very sweet and warm hearted.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I've been waiting to see this.  I usually read what Ebert has to say and then subtract 1 star from his rating.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EVIEWS/60117002

He has said his star ratings and thumbs up mean very little... it's just something he has to do. To get how he truly feels you have to read his reviews. He has some of the best reviews out there because he describes what the movie is about so well. I know the majority of the time how i will feel about a movie by just reading what he says ( even if i disagree with him... because there are certain things he does not like that i do).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)

I've seen more than a few posts in this thread saying how horrible the film was.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
I've seen more than a few posts in this thread saying how horrible the film was.

I keep hearing how bad it is everywhere yet it is rated pretty damn well on every site and most reviews of it.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
I keep hearing how bad it is everywhere yet it is rated pretty damn well on every site and most reviews of it.

I know i have zero interest in seeing it. One joke being told just over and over in a different way. I'll pass.