Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Shining' is effective because it's creepy as well as scary. It wasn't about blood and guts or about having things jump out at you, it was about painting a horryfying mood and situation. I'm not sure how much of the hotel was re done for the film, but some of the colors and patterns of the location as well as the angles at which they are shot add to the fear and desperation. Also, the way he holds some of the shots for a long period of time is effective. Some of those images are burned into my memory forever. Truly, great film making.........and I'm not a fan of horror films.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 02:57 AM)
One movie I've been meaning to see that I've heard is scary as hell is the Omen. I've seen bits and pieces of it before, but never the whole thing.

The Omen is good, but I really doubt you'll find it scary. There are, I think, two sequels to it. They're awful.

Has anyone else seen the The New World yet? And if so, please back up that it is an extremely long and boring sack of hot garbage.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Talking about "it" reminded me that while me and my friends were shopping yesterday, we saw the movie "little monsters" on sale on DVD.

I haven't seen a mention of this movie in like 10 years, but I remember watching it a ridicuous amount of times growing up.

What a weird movie, anyone remember it?

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Talking about "it" reminded me that while me and my friends were shopping yesterday, we saw the movie "little monsters" on sale on DVD.

I haven't seen a mention of this movie in like 10 years, but I remember watching it a ridicuous amount of times growing up.

You can't go wrong with Kevin Arnold and Bobby Generic in the same movie. It's definitely one of those movies you watch a lot when you're a kid, and then kinda remember it fondly as you get older.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)

Ya, must have watched that movie 10 or 15 times when I was a kid.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
That'd be a good discussion to have.  What are some people's favorite childhood movies?

I was introduced to Nightmare on Elm Street & the Chucky series under the age of 6 IIRC. Had to have seen them each 5-10 times.

What a great brother I had.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
That'd be a good discussion to have.  What are some people's favorite childhood movies?

-pee wee's big adventure

-little monsters

-all of the ninja turtles movies

-beetlejuice

-3 ninjas

-batman movies

-random disney stuff

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
I'll name a few, once people start naming some more I'll remember more.

Little Mosters

Richie Rich

Little Big League

Rookie of the Year(I dont care if it was Cubs, I LOVED that movie)

Home Alone

You got to include sandlot. And yes, I too absolutely loved Rookie of the Year. I think the only movie I liked more was Sandlot. That movie was just awesome cause it was a lot like the way me and my buddies were when it came to playing baseball as kids.

Never was a big Richie Rich fan, although I saw the movie. But the others rank highly along with Red Dawn for me. I freaking loved that movie.

3 Ninja's and Ninja Turtles were also on that list and I must admit I think I saw Sidekicks a few times (with the Great Chuck Norris).

Oh and I loved almost all Steven Siegal movies (especially Under Siege).

I saw Lord of War on Saturday and I thought it was one of the best movies i have seen this year. It is so powerful especially the scenes in Sierra Leone where they show in detail the Blood Diamonds. One of the best anti-violence movies and a movie that needs to be shown in history class when they talk about Sierra Leone and Liberia. I also liked the dark humor and there are some scenes that are funny. A very brave performance by Nicolas Cage and Jared Leto turned in a great performance.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
The Exorcist is the one movie that flat scares the hell out of me.  Simply because I've done a little reading and listened to people detail some supposed true exorcisms and well quite frankly the fact that some of the stuff seen in the movie has been documented by the church as to happen (not in the setting of the movie or anything, but they claim some of the symptons of the girl have happened).

For example...IIRC there was a person supposedly posessed in a farm in Iowa (I think thats where it was) and the person ended up throwing up this film all over the church and it was documented into the records.  I have no idea how true it was and it was part of an art bell series on exorcism I heard a few years back (back when he was doing the show full time). 

It was interesting stuff and after hearing all about that I saw the movie for the 1st time (when they brought it back to theatres) and I must say I had trouble sleeping. 

Not since I saw "it" when I was like 8 or 9 had I been that scared, and yes, I realize that was a totally lame movie, but it scared the hell out of me and my friends (first horror I ever saw).

for me a very very scary movie is The Others and Silence of the Lambs. Both movies don't have a ton of violence (Hannibal was not scary) however they are great at Psychological Horror. The Exorcist is another movie that is great at Psychological Horror. Not over the top violent but the topic is scary enough.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
I saw Lord of War on Saturday and I thought it was one of the best movies i have seen this year.  It is so powerful especially the scenes in Sierra Leone where they show in detail the Blood Diamonds.  One of the best anti-violence movies and a movie that needs to be shown in history class when they talk about Sierra Leone and Liberia.  I also liked the dark humor and there are some scenes that are funny.  A very brave performance by Nicolas Cage and Jared Leto turned in a great performance.

Honestly, what History classes talk about Sierra Leone and Liberia, especially long enough to devote entire classes to the showing of Lord of War?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
Saw it at the theater.  Not as good as the first but entertaining nonetheless.

Ya I saw it at the theater as well, still excited for the DVD release.

1st was better but I thought the 2nd might flop, but it was solid as hell.