Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Has anyone seen 'Elephant' by Gus van Zandt?  It's based on the Columbine murders, although he doesn't use the same names and details.

What was up with the black dude just walking the halls all casually while all hell was breaking loose only to get shot? It was like dude wanted to get shot.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
What was up with the black dude just walking the halls all casually while all hell was breaking loose only to get shot?  It was like dude wanted to get shot.

lol, yeah, he was like hmmmm, I hear gun shots and I see dead bodies everywhere, let me see what's going on here.

Everyone was just walking the halls, that was most of the film.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
What was up with the black dude just walking the halls all casually while all hell was breaking loose only to get shot?  It was like dude wanted to get shot.

I recalled the Elephant discussions earlier in the week while browsing through On-Demand's HBO selections last night. Thought I would experience the film for myself. What I found was 'Elephant s***' would have been better a better title. It's f***ing terrible. If you're going to create a movie about the school shooting--which obvious references to Columbine--atleast make it more factual. Or interesting.

I absolutely despise movies such as these, where there's various elements of latent symbolism. You know, the type of movies where a simple action such as walking down a hallway is meant to "draw parallels to the fragile psyche of mankind." Gus Van Sant wishes he were Stanley Kubrick.

And what's the basis behind the references to homosexuality? Gus Van Sant, IMO, was merely attempting to add a controversial issue to his story. If his direction didn't spend time following some goofus through an enormous highschool, or listening to a gunmen play classical music, perhaps there would have been time for proper character development. I practically laughed when the nerdy girl was shot in the Library. Didn't know a damn thing about her except her reluctance to change with other girls and wear short pants.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

i just finished watching requiem for a dream and now i'm shaking. I've yet to finish and Aranofski film without being shaken at the end. That said he sets up his shots soo f***ing beautifully. Contrasts colors so wonderfully from the beginning of the film to the end. ANd forces you to take in the reality of the situation. The mother was brilliant. Everyone did a brilliant job.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
i just finished watching requiem for a dream and now i'm shaking. I've yet to finish and Aranofski film without being shaken at the end. That said he sets up his shots soo f***ing beautifully. Contrasts colors so wonderfully from the beginning of the film to the end. ANd forces you to take in the reality of the situation. The mother was brilliant. Everyone did a brilliant job.

One of my all time favorites.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)

all I can say about that film is:

ASS TO ASS!

ASS TO ASS!

ASS TO ASS!

:D :D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
all I can say about that film is:

ASS TO ASS!

ASS TO ASS!

ASS TO ASS!

:D  :D

what's amazing is i was so shaken by everyone's situation on that point it didn't even come across as over the top or cheesy.

That was the most f***ed up movie I have ever seen in my life. The eyeball scene was bad. Really bad. But overall, the movie was not nearly as gory as originally expected. Honestly, I think Tarantino was masterful in having the first 1/2 hour have absolutely nothing to do with what the movie was supposed to be about. This way, when the actual horror part begins, it kinda hits you like a train. (pun intended) The movie wasn't great but it wasn't bad. The scene with Josh was easily the best scene in the movie. You can almost feel his pain.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
That was the most f***ed up movie I have ever seen in my life. The eyeball scene was bad. Really bad. But overall, the movie was not nearly as gory as originally expected. Honestly, I think Tarantino was masterful in having the first 1/2 hour have absolutely nothing to do with what the movie was supposed to be about. This way, when the actual horror part begins, it kinda hits you like a train. (pun intended) The movie wasn't great but it wasn't bad. The scene with Josh was easily the best scene in the movie. You can almost feel his pain.

Hostel was great. I saw it the night it first came out. The eyeball scene got me warm.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:32 AM)
Hostel was great.  I saw it the night it first came out.  The eyeball scene got me warm.

I don't think it was great but it definitely wasn't bad. I think "entertaining" is the perfect adjective.