Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
I think that Philip Seymour Hoffman was more amazing in Capote, though. Which was also an incredible moving. It was really interesting, I had no idea that Capote was such a total amoral self-serving jerk. It was definitely a good movie and I really enjoyed watching a biography of a true American classic novel. Great movie, and like I said, PSH was absolutely mind-boggling as Capote. Really, absolutely stunning.

I still remember in this thread when i mentioned how amazing it was... when it first came out. I think i saw in the oscar thread that someone wasn't really thrilled with it. Maybe flash? Whoever it was can you explain the reason (s) why? I am curious.

I'm probably the only one looking foward to Final Destination 3. I liked the first one. Thought it was different from other teen horror movies at the time. The plot holes were far fetched but it was a fun movie. The 2nd one, I hated. No suspense for the deaths. They tried to make up in gore for story, even though the crash scene on the highway was cool.

The 3rd one brings back the guys from the first. I am expecting huge plot holes, bad dialogue and acting, but some suspense and fun in the death scenes and that is all I expect out of a movie like this. I also think the roller coaster idea is clever.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
I'm probably the only one looking foward to Final Destination 3. I liked the first one. Thought it was different from other teen horror movies at the time. The plot holes were far fetched but it was a fun movie. The 2nd one, I hated. No suspense for the deaths. They tried to make up in gore for story, even though the crash scene on the highway was cool.

The 3rd one brings back the guys from the first. I am expecting huge plot holes, bad dialogue and acting, but some suspense and fun in the death scenes and that is all I expect out of a movie like this. I also think the roller coaster idea is clever.

I would be more excited about it if they didn't show how every one dies in one preview or another...

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
I would be more excited about it if they didn't show how every one dies in one preview or another...

For real? I didn't notice or think about those shots in the trailer.

At a board i post at someone said this... ''I dont know, but at this point, it's not looking like it'll be a good year for movies''.

I listed maybe 10-12 of the really big ones... which is not even touching the brink of how good this year really is gonna be. I feel it is useless though because the guy doesn't even seem to know what the word ''majority'' means.

Btw, this year is just stacked beyond belief.

Edited by q\/\/3r+y

So anyway, I saw 'goodfellas' for the first time last night.

I was expecting more of a classic mobster 'godfather' type movie and have to say I was pretty suprised at how different it really was.

I really enjoyed it.

I saw the Shining for the first time last night (Yeah I know weird that it took so long) and I watched it again tonight.

What an awesome, strange movie that leaves so many things up for interpretations. Not really sure why some say it was so scary though...

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
I saw the Shining for the first time last night (Yeah I know weird that it took so long) and I watched it again tonight.

What an awesome, strange movie that leaves so many things up for interpretations.

by far my favorite horror movie. It's so unique and just downright entertaining

Watched the Great Raid tonight. I really enjoyed the movie. I like historical/war movies and I have no idea how realistic this movie was, but I thought it was a neat story and didn't seem quite as over-dramatized as some stories.

Plus I haven't seen many recent movies about the Japanese/US part of the war and never saw one that detailed the underground movement from the Phillipino's.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
Caught Land of the Dead yesterday and it was bad

Devils Rejects was also horrid

You must have some high expectations. Neither are genre redefining, but compared to the utter crap labeled as horror these days, I had no complaints. Both surpass High Tension--which was heralded as TEH AWESOME.

One problem with Land:

I didn't really appreciate the evolution-of-Zombie's angle (which Day also featured), or Romero's political agenda, but it proves a worthy addition to his series.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
You must have some high expectations. Neither are genre redefining, but compared to the utter crap labeled as horror these days, I had no complaints. Both surpass High Tension--which was heralded as TEH AWESOME.

One problem with Land:

I didn't really appreciate the evolution-of-Zombie's angle (which Day also featured), or Romero's political agenda, but it proves a worthy addition to his series.

I should say for Land of the Dead I had higher expectations. It was basically a c- movie but it did have entertaining parts of it and some cool action scenes.

But Devils Rejects was just a disgusting movie. Gore doesn't bother me one bit but the movie was ridiculously dumb and the people in it were just entirely ridiculous. I think I got dumber watching that crap. Thankfully I netflixed it and didn't pay an actual fee.

I will never watch a Rob Zombie movie again.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
What an awesome, strange movie that leaves so many things up for interpretations.  Not really sure why some say it was so scary though...

It's similar to how people typically regard The Exorcist as freightening. Suppose elements within both movies appeal to general horror movie audiences.

Honestly, the 'scariest' part for me in the Shining was the beginning theme music. The combination of strange synthesizers/sound effects and the setting work well together.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
It's similar to how people typically regard The Exorcist as freightening. Suppose elements within both movies appeal to general horror movie audiences.

Honestly, the 'scariest' part for me in the Shining was the beginning theme music. The combination of strange synthesizers/sound effects and the setting work well together.

The Exorcist is the one movie that flat scares the hell out of me. Simply because I've done a little reading and listened to people detail some supposed true exorcisms and well quite frankly the fact that some of the stuff seen in the movie has been documented by the church as to happen (not in the setting of the movie or anything, but they claim some of the symptons of the girl have happened).

For example...IIRC there was a person supposedly posessed in a farm in Iowa (I think thats where it was) and the person ended up throwing up this film all over the church and it was documented into the records. I have no idea how true it was and it was part of an art bell series on exorcism I heard a few years back (back when he was doing the show full time).

It was interesting stuff and after hearing all about that I saw the movie for the 1st time (when they brought it back to theatres) and I must say I had trouble sleeping.

Not since I saw "it" when I was like 8 or 9 had I been that scared, and yes, I realize that was a totally lame movie, but it scared the hell out of me and my friends (first horror I ever saw).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
Not since I saw "it" when I was like 8 or 9 had I been that scared, and yes, I realize that was a totally lame movie, but it scared the hell out of me and my friends (first horror I ever saw).

Funny you mention IT. It's one of the few horror movies which legitimately scared me growing up.

I've always felt the films which seemingly attach horrifying circumstances with people I could connect to are most freighening. Don't know what it is about the Exorcist--perhaps the location in Georgetown, or how the possession didn't really kill anyone (unless you count the Priest.), but it never had the effect on me other films did.

Three movies, reflecting on my childhood, absolutely terried me: Candyman, IT, Pet Sematary.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
Funny you mention IT. It's one of the few horror movies which legitimately scared me growing up.

I've always felt the films which seemingly attach horrifying circumstances with people I could connect to are most freighening. Don't know what it is about the Exorcist--perhaps the location in Georgetown, or how the possession didn't really kill anyone (unless you count the Priest.), but it never had the effect on me other films did.

Three movies, reflecting on my childhood, absolutely terried me: Candyman, IT, Pet Sematary.

Haha, Candyman and It are the two that stand out to me from my childhood. It more so than any of the others.

Exorcist was later on but got me. Definately understand why the Exorcist may not get some though for the exact reasons you say.

One movie I've been meaning to see that I've heard is scary as hell is the Omen. I've seen bits and pieces of it before, but never the whole thing.

Oh and the worse horror movie I ever saw was Blair Witch. I have no idea how, but everyone in my high school was going around saying it was the scariest movie ever and there were stories of kids our age walking out of the movie. In fact while watching it two people next to us got up and left all scared, but how anyone thought that was scary is beyond me. Awful and naushus is all I could think of when it comes to that piece of garbage.