Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the 2006 anime film "Paprika" today.

Paprika (パプリカ, Papurika?) is a Japanese animated science fiction film, based on Yasutaka Tsutsui's 1993 novel Paprika, about a female research psychologist involved in a project to develop a device that will permit therapists to help patients by entering their dreams.

It's a VERY good movie. Go watch it.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Id like to add I got Smokin Aces on Netflix and I thought it was terrible. I fell asleep during it the first time I tried to watch it and turned it off an hour into it the second time I tried.

The movie tried too hard to be edgy and cool, and failed at being either.

And I think Jeremy Piven is better in smaller roles. I like him, but in small doses.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 07:59 AM)
Anyone see the documentary "The Bridge"?

Im waiting for it to become available on netflix. I really want to see it, it sounds interesting, in a weird kind of way.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
No, but I read there's a lot of controversy about some of the things the film maker did to make the film.

From what I read, all he did was lie to the Golden Gate Bridge committee about the reasons he wanted to film. Have you heard something else?

Is there any Chicagoans here that go to the Landmark theatre on Clark St? Just discovered it and I think its great I dont think I want to go back to seeing mainstream movies anymore, independent films are the way to go.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
Is there any Chicagoans here that go to the Landmark theatre on Clark St? Just discovered it and I think its great I dont think I want to go back to seeing mainstream movies anymore, independent films are the way to go.

Redford is opening an indie film theatre somewhere in the loop sometime soon. I'm looking forward to it. For indie films, I usually hit up Pipers Alley.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)

I went out with this friend of mine there on, oh, Tuesday. Saw Paprika! It was so cool.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
From what I read, all he did was lie to the Golden Gate Bridge committee about the reasons he wanted to film. Have you heard something else?

Netflix shipped The Bridge to me today, so Ill have it tomorrow and watch it over the weekend and give you anybody interested a report

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)
New pic of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones on the set of Indy IV getting ready to yell at kids to get the hell of his lawn! :P

20070621.jpg

Photo by Steven Spielberg

Rocky, Rambo, Die Hard, Indiana Jones.....whats next

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)

He interviewed the victims' families but did not tell them he had footage of the suicides.

His film crew would set up and wait for people to jump and apparently made no attempts to try to stop anyone or call police. He's an article:

http://www.kottke.org/06/05/controversy-over-the-bridge

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
He interviewed the victims' families but did not tell them he had footage of the suicides.

His film crew would set up and wait for people to jump and apparently made no attempts to try to stop anyone or call police. He's an article:

http://www.kottke.org/06/05/controversy-over-the-bridge

Interesting article, and I'm really intersted to see it for sure now. On the film's site they have critic reviews of actual intereviws with family members who gave positive feedback. Also from critic reviews they state that the filmmakers did call police which is shown in the movie. Thanks for that link.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
Netflix shipped The Bridge to me today, so Ill have it tomorrow and watch it over the weekend and give you anybody interested a report

Thanks!! Looking forward to it.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 05:55 AM)
Rocky, Rambo, Die Hard, Indiana Jones.....whats next

Rocky, Rambo and Die Hard I really don't care all that much about.

Indy? I'm thrilled this is being done and I will be the first in line!