Good News

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Did you even see it?  That was anything but clean.

I'm assuming you're talking about the play where Burke got bowled over at home plate. Ozzie even commented on how he thought it was a clean play and wished his players played that hard.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Winnin' Ugly @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
I'm assuming you're talking about the play where Burke got bowled over at home plate.  Ozzie even commented on how he thought it was a clean play and wished his players played that hard.

Ozzie said that having not seen the replay.

Burke gave him the plate. The throw was going to be late. Hunter knew that. He barrelled over Burke anyways.

Ozzie almost undoubtedly gave Freddy the OK to throw at Torii in that first series in September, so it is very likely his thoughts on the matter changed.

I would agree with 3E8 here...that play was anything but clean. It was a cheap shot...Hunter admitted so himself later in the year(he didn't refer to it as a cheap shot, he actually said he did it to try and light a fire under the Twins and get them hot...it seemed to have worked pretty well)

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
I agree, I think adding AJ would make us a near lock to win the division this year..

our pitching is better than it has been in a while

I refuse to say the Sox are favorites for the division. They aren't the favorites in my mind until they finally win the division and are the defending champs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
I refuse to say the Sox are favorites for the division.  They aren't the favorites in my mind until they finally win the division and are the defending champs.

We really won't be the favorites this year, unlike the last few years. A strong return by Mauer will more than answer for AJ, and even though El Duque will help, he won't completely close the gap between the performance of the pitching staffs last season (and Contreras is still a big, big question mark). Especially working w/o Maggs and Carlos, and Frank for who-knows-how-long, this division is now very tight even on paper, and I expect most people will think Minnesota's the favorite. (And that's w/o even considering Cleveland.)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
I refuse to say the Sox are favorites for the division.  They aren't the favorites in my mind until they finally win the division and are the defending champs.

haha, but if we believe were only gonna be second what fun would that make??

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Hell I don't think its a bad thing at all to not be considered the "Favorite". Seems like everytime the Sox are favored they find a way to piss down their pant legs...

AKA the past four seasons.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but what evidence do we have to know that A.J. is even considering the White Sox?  It's been rumored that approximately 6 teams have offered him a contract.  With Varitek signing with the Red Sox, I would have thought that A.J. would have decided on a team by now.  I hope we get him, but I can't say I'm optimistic about our chances right now.

I think that's a great point. I haven't even heard one other team named, one of them could easily be a big spending team and blow a Sox offer out of the water.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
my only concern is that maybe we shouldnt have signed ben davis, because i like burke a lot better and davis cant hit, pierz will most likely limit the other catchers playing time

I know some people will not believe me but i think if burke hits .250 next year with more than 150 at-bats we should be pretty happy with him. So far, he has been hitting way over his head.

I know some people will not believe me but i think if burke hits .250 next year with more than 150 at-bats we should be pretty happy with him. So far, he has been hitting way over his head.

Agreed. I think some people are drinking the Jamie Burke Kool Aid, that .333 average is totally not indicative of what he's done in his lengthy minor league career.

Burke is a good team guy though. Very unselfish and his teammates like him.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)

Jamie has a good approach to hitting, he obviously doesn't have a ton of talent but he's a smart player, imo he could hit .250 over a full year. Also I believe if A.J. were to be signed ozzie would keep 3 catchers.

Also I believe if A.J. were to be signed ozzie would keep 3 catchers.

Row, I thought about that and the numbers look awfully tough for 3 catchers, but it's a possibility. Assuming 11 pitchers, you've got 14 spots.

3B, SS, 2B, 1B, LF, CF, RF - that's 7 starters.

Gload, Everett, Timo Perez, and a backup middle infielder. That's 11.

Plus two catchers makes 13.

One spot left ... Frank Thomas?

If Thomas starts on the DL I can definitely see 3 catchers. If Thomas is healthy I can't see it.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Row, I thought about that and the numbers look awfully tough for 3 catchers, but it's a possibility.  Assuming 11 pitchers, you've got 14 spots.

Gload, Everett, Timo Perez, and a backup middle infielder.  That's 11.

If Thomas starts on the DL I can definitely see 3 catchers.  If Thomas is healthy I can't see it.

I've been thinking about that too, Jim. The thing that came to mind was that Jamie can also play 3rd base and ozzie loves his versatility and just likes Jamie in general. I think either way you got 3 catchers if Pierz is signed but that's jmo.

If Thomas starts on the DL I can definitely see 3 catchers.  If Thomas is healthy I can't see it.

If timo was never resigned that would help alot right about now. He is doing nothing more than wasting money and a roster spot.

Row, I thought about that and the numbers look awfully tough for 3 catchers, but it's a possibility.  Assuming 11 pitchers, you've got 14 spots.

This sounds a little perverse, but, if the Sox break camp with catchers who can't hit then they have to carry 3. If they get even one that can hit, then they can go with two.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
If timo was never resigned that would help alot right about now. He is doing nothing more than wasting money and a roster spot.

we dont really need timo and borchard and davis (if we get pierz)

It all hinges on Thomas.

If he's not healthy, Everett is DH and therefore they'd need another OF who can play CF.

If Thomas is healthy and Everett is in top shape maybe they wouldn't need a guy like Timo. Big if's there, though.

They seem to like Timo. Things may change in spring training, they always trade him or designate him for assignment if all the other issues come together. At this point, I'd rather have the depth and Timo appears to be a good fit in the clubhouse. I expect Alex Escobar to push for that last OF spot, don't know what they'd do with him since he's out of options I believe.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)

The big benefit is the fact that Burke can play multiple positions. Peronsally I give Burke the nod over Davis if you carry two, but with the money Davis is going to get that won't happen (i know 1 mill isn't that much but it still gives him the nod).

If they were to carry three you'd almost give Hankins the nod over Burke due to his mega versatility. But I am a Burke fan. Calls a good game, has a solid arm/quick release, and has a very unselfish approach at the plate. I think he can hit .250 plus in the majors. But .300, not over a full season, imo.

If they were to carry three you'd almost give Hankins the nod over Burke due to his mega versatility.

Agree on Davis playing over Burke, for money and other reasons. They want to see what they've got in Davis.

I think the only position Hankins can play that Jamie can't is 2B.

I'm a Burke fan too, he's the perfect 25th guy IMO.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Agree on Davis playing over Burke, for money and other reasons.  They want to see what they've got in Davis.

I think the only position Hankins can play that Jamie can't is 2B.

I'm a Burke fan too, he's the perfect 25th guy IMO.

I don't know how much experience Burke has in LF and RF but Hankins has played those positions as well, IIRC. Your right though, Burke is quite versatile too.

Burke goes well with the ball and keeps a short swing. He'll move guys around and if he continues to improve defensively and get a better understanding of the Sox pitching staff (which I think he will) then it seems like a no brainer to keep him.

I like Davis' potential, but I yack at his swing. Good god I think I have a shorter swing. He's definately got potential which is why I'm intrigued. Plus I don't think he's a bad guy.

But off the bench I don't really like Davis; Doesn't really handle the bat well (by that I mean moving guys around) while Burke can. Plus I don't think he's a guy that will react well to a benching or playing every few days. Then again he was pretty quiet when he didn't play for like the first week following the deal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
I don't know how much experience Burke has in LF and RF but Hankins has played those positions as well, IIRC.  Your right though, Burke is quite versatile too. 

Burke goes well with the ball and keeps a short swing.  He'll move guys around and if he continues to improve defensively and get a better understanding of the Sox pitching staff (which I think he will) then it seems like a no brainer to keep him.

I like Davis' potential, but I yack at his swing.  Good god I think I have a shorter swing.  He's definately got potential which is why I'm intrigued.  Plus I don't think he's a bad guy.

But off the bench I don't really like Davis; Doesn't really handle the bat well (by that I mean moving guys around) while Burke can.  Plus I don't think he's a guy that will react well to a benching or playing every few days.  Then again he was pretty quiet when he didn't play for like the first week following the deal.

now that i look at your avatar...isn't it kinda old?? :bang

i just read in the mailbag responce part of chisox.com that we KW is believed to have offered AJ a deal that is "signif**antly lower then his 3.5 million dollar salary from last year."

my question is, if there is such a need for catchers in MLB and AJ can be had for around 3.5 million... why should we believe that he will sign for us for less then what he just got paid... when he did a good job last season?

also, why should we believe that another club hasnt offered him something close to what he got last year?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't buy the cancer for the clubhouse thing.  I love players with attitude.  When Jamie was blindsided by Hunter last year, I was sickened to see every member of our team just sit there and take it.

Our season ended on that play. I wish the Sox had players who would do what Torii Hunter did. I hope we've acquired a couple this off-season, because we sure as hell need some.