Iguchi Close to Signing with Sox?

beck72

It reminds me of the Rowand in CF situation over the years. 2002 KW signed Lofton (sorry Rowand) in 2003 he was ousted in the middle of the year thanks to the Everett trade (sorry Rowand) and in 2004 he FINALLY was given the oppurtunity to play everyday and it payed off.

Last season Uribe played a great deal of 2B due to Harris' struggles. And this year if KW gets Iguchi the only role I can see Harris having is a pinch runner.

I still wonder what the bench would look like...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
It reminds me of the Rowand in CF situation over the years. 2002 KW signed Lofton (sorry Rowand) in 2003 he was ousted in the middle of the year thanks to the Everett trade (sorry Rowand) and in 2004 he FINALLY was given the oppurtunity to play everyday and it payed off.

Last season Uribe played a great deal of 2B due to Harris' struggles. And this year if KW gets Iguchi the only role I can see Harris having is a pinch runner.

I still wonder what the bench would look like...

our bench is going to be pretty good, figuring everyone is healthy

Bench Players are;

everett

harris

gload

perez

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Everything that I've read about Iguchi says that he's pretty much a slick - fielding infielder. I think I read on a recent ESPN article though about Japanese players that he could struggle fielding on grass instead of artificial turf, but I could be wrong on that. Now I've found these snippets on the net about Iguchi;

1 - Iguchi's possible stats if he moved in 2004 (late 2003 piece):

2 - Forum Thoughts;

Also Iguchi's 2002 stats shoudln't really be taken into consideration as he was suffering from a shoulder injury for much of the year.

I've heard that he's good, but after Kaz I think there's reason to question how well 'good fielding' translates for Japanese middle infielders. Perhaps Kazuo had trouble b/c of the turf, I don't know, but something must have changed. Nobody could have watched what we saw last year and thought he was a whiz. 2b isn't as challenging as ss, admittedly, but many of the same skills are needed.

I don't put too much into his 2003 stats either, they look like an anomaly. The ks drop way down, the bbs skyrocket. But hitting has translated fairly well, so I'm not too worried about that aspect. Except, if we pick up this guy on the premise that he's more consistent than Willie -- I'm not sure about that. His stats have been all over the place.

I just don't see why the NY Post would know more about this issue then the local radio and news guys. Because of that I think everyone should caution themselves cause nothing is done yet.

I'd fall over in shock if they signed Pyrz, Iguchi, and Nenn to deals...but I don't think the odds are great. I think they may have two more signings left in them and for sure they will go for a backup middle infielder, but the key to me is getting Pyrz.

He's such a major upgrade over what the club has at that position. I can only hope.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 06:05 AM)
I'm trying to keep myself unexcited right now but if this is true, wow, we're going to have one nice of a 1-2 at the top of the order and this would definitely allow us to move aaron down.  I'm going to keep espn radio on see if anything comes up though I doubt it because Bruce is probably still sleeping, if anyone is listening to the score tell us if you hear anything.

No way in hell should Ozzie start him in the two hole. Rowand has proved his value there and has earned that spot time and time again. Why should we give it to a guy when we can't even be totally sure that he'll tread water in the MLB.

Jeckle, because aaron is better suited to hit down in the order. I think at worst Iguchi would post a .340 obp and do more in that spot then aaron could do as far as moving runners along. Then we move aaron down to give him more rbi opportunities.

My thoughts...

The NY Post may have included this blurb just because the Yankees have shown interest in Iguchi at some point. If they got reports that King George and Co. no longer wanted Iguchi (per the signing of Womack), they probably felt responsible for informing the fans where Iguchi may be headed. I would bet, us here at Soxtalk know just as much about Iguchi signing with the Sox as the Post does.

As for the Nen interest? Meh.

Two targets: AJP, Iguchi...make it happen Kenny.

Nen would be a perfect no-risk type signing with nothing but upside. If he's healthy and throws well in AAA, he'd likely be able to help in 2005. [Esp in case of injury, ineffectiveness, a trade of a bullpen arm]. Maybe the Hermanson signing had an effect on Nen.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
No way in hell should Ozzie start him in the two hole. Rowand has proved his value there and has earned that spot time and time again. Why should we give it to a guy when we can't even be totally sure that he'll tread water in the MLB.

I saw nothing from Arow that made me think he was a #2 hitter. He couldn't get down bunts and you never saw him swing the other way. The sad thing is that the guy best suited to hit #2 will be on the bench in Willie Harris. He knows how to bunt, he takes pitches/works counts, and is a lefty who can pull a ball through the hole at first or swing the other way.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
Jeckle, because aaron is better suited to hit down in the order.  I think at worst Iguchi would post a .340 obp and do more in that spot then aaron could do as far as moving runners along.  Then we move aaron down to give him more rbi opportunities.

Before a couple years ago, he hardly ever had a .340 obp in Japanese ball, yet now you're sure that he'll be that good in the ML -- even though his strikeout and walk numbers returned to Earth last year. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I find it hard to believe that's the worst-case scenario.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Before a couple years ago, he hardly ever had a .340 obp in Japanese ball, yet now you're sure that he'll be that good in the ML -- even though his strikeout and walk numbers returned to Earth last year.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but I find it hard to believe that's the worst-case scenario.

Yes I do think that's the worst-case scenario. He's had an outrageous obp the last 2 years, he's done this for two years in a row now, I'm thinking he's developed into this type of guy and Iguchi's numbers the last two years were better then the best years Kaz put up, Kaz wasn't great but his obp was right around .335 iirc, I really do believe at worst Iguchi would put up a .340 obp, jmo.

Uribe is more likely to start the yr in the #2 hole. Besides bunting [which won't be that big of an issue, as Pods won't need to be bunted over to 2nd, but will still be needed at times], Uribe can hit well w/ 2 strikes on him, when behind in the count [which should come into play to give Pods time to steal 2nd base], and hits to all fields.

If Aaron can hit in 2005 like he did in 2004, he's the #3 hitter

Truthfully, we don't have a true #2 hitter on this team.

Rowand-Power/Doubles hitter. Although he had a nice avg. and obp last season, Aaron is better suited to hit fifth or sixth. He doesn't hit behind the runner and he can't lay down a bunt.

Uribe-Nope. Juan is far too inconsistant to hit in the two slot. Although he'll be red-hot for a week or two at a time, he slumps with the worst of em'. He takes nasty hacks and swings from the heels.

Harris-Its a shame this bastard can't play everyday. Harris is the Sox best suited for the two hole, but unfortunately, he can't hit consistently or lay down a bunt. Besides, once he gets on base, he refuses to use his god-given speed and steal a base. 11 stolen bases? Ouch.

I suppose Iguchi would be the proper choice for the two hole. He sounds like a 20HR/20SB guy and according to reports, can lay down a bunt. Give him a shot in ST, and if he can cut it, its his spot to lose.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Yes I do think that's the worst-case scenario.  He's had an outrageous obp the last 2 years, he's done this for two years in a row now, I'm thinking he's developed into this type of guy and Iguchi's numbers the last two years were better then the best years Kaz put up, Kaz wasn't great but his obp was right around .335 iirc, I really do believe at worst Iguchi would put up a .340 obp, jmo.

Kaz had an obp over .360 for 7 consecutive seasons, and his walk numbers were consistent, always around 50. Iguchi's been great for only 2 seasons, and his walks numbers have jumped all over the place (from 30 to 80 to 50). I don't know how we can be sure from those numbers that this guy instantaneously developed so much plate discipline that he's guaranteed a .340 obp in the US. The possible range looks much wider to me, jmho.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Harris-Its a shame this bastard can't play everyday.  Harris is the Sox best suited for the two hole, but unfortunately, he can't hit consistently or lay down a bunt.  Besides, once he gets on base, he refuses to use his god-given speed and steal a base.  11 stolen bases?  Ouch.

Harris is not best suited for the #2 spot. #9 this yr, leadoff maybe someday. But with a SLG under his OBP, he'd never sniff the #2 spot. The #2 guy has to have some pop in his bat.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Kaz had an obp over .360 for 7 consecutive seasons, and his walk numbers were consistent, always around 50.  Iguchi's been great for only 2 seasons, and his walks numbers have jumped all over the place (from 30 to 80 to 50).  I don't know how we can be sure from those numbers that this guy instantaneously developed so much plate discipline that he's guaranteed a .340 obp in the US.  The possible range looks much wider to me, jmho.

Ok... Granted it might not work out. Considering what other options are available, is it worth a gamble?