Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got out and ran for the first time in years yesterday. I only went a mile, but felt like I could do more pretty easily. I wanted to be smart and not kill myself the first time out, so I took it easy. I woke up today and didn't hurt so I am pretty happy about that. :)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
I got out and ran for the first time in years yesterday. I only went a mile, but felt like I could do more pretty easily. I wanted to be smart and not kill myself the first time out, so I took it easy. I woke up today and didn't hurt so I am pretty happy about that. :)

Make sure you stretch before and after you run. It makes a huge difference in recovery after a run. If you are going to do this more frequently drink lots of water.

Good luck with your running.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
Make sure you stretch before and after you run. It makes a huge difference in recovery after a run. If you are going to do this more frequently drink lots of water.

Good luck with your running.

Thanks for the advice... I did run years ago, back about 40 pounds and 10 years ago I was a Cross Country runner in college (5miles/8K) and then a pretty decent hurdler, sprinter, triple jumper in track. I definately felt like I got go a lot more than I did, I just wasn't sure how my body would respond anymore, as its been a LONG time.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
More info please.

Scott Lucas was on Local 101 last night, and he played a cover of some Pink Floyd song. I can't remember what it's called, but it was dreadful. Scott started mimicking their vocal style while he was singing, and the song just limped along at that meandering Pink Floyd pace. No tempo at all, just a really bad choice for a cover IMO.

It was brutal.

But the rest of the interview/performance was really good. Scott usually picks interesting songs to cover, but that was just not a good fit for him/them.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Thanks for the advice... I did run years ago, back about 40 pounds and 10 years ago I was a Cross Country runner in college (5miles/8K) and then a pretty decent hurdler, sprinter, triple jumper in track. I definately felt like I got go a lot more than I did, I just wasn't sure how my body would respond anymore, as its been a LONG time.

Trying to lose the weight from the pregnancy? :bang :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)

I ran cross country in high school. And ran off and on throughout my 20s, including a marathon. I took it up again in my 30s and found that my body revolted on me. My knees kept getting sore, I had some issues with my ankles. It took a while for me to realize that the same routine I did in my late teens/20s doesnt work now. I kept in good shape, but it still doesnt help when you cross that damn 30 threshold. Now I am finally at a good pace and distance where I feel real good running. It took a while, and a lot of time in the hot tub, but its worth it. As you know when you get back into running, and get used to that routine its a great feeling. I started running again nightly because of being diagnosed with type II diabetes. I want to be around for my son when I am older. What got you into it again.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I ran cross country in high school. And ran off and on throughout my 20s, including a marathon. I took it up again in my 30s and found that my body revolted on me. My knees kept getting sore, I had some issues with my ankles. It took a while for me to realize that the same routine I did in my late teens/20s doesnt work now. I kept in good shape, but it still doesnt help when you cross that damn 30 threshold. Now I am finally at a good pace and distance where I feel real good running. It took a while, and a lot of time in the hot tub, but its worth it. As you know when you get back into running, and get used to that routine its a great feeling. I started running again nightly because of being diagnosed with type II diabetes. I want to be around for my son when I am older. What got you into it again.

Yeah, that is exactly the kind of stuff that I wanted to avoid. I know with just playing softball or basketball I get pains I never used to get. I basically used to never stretch or warmup and could go for hours back in the day, today I do that crap, I pay for it.

To tell you the truth I have been wanting to pick up running again, just for another competitive outlet, but definately to get into a little better shape. Even after gaining the 40 pounds it wasn't too bad for me, as in college I was 5'9" and only 120 pounds, so I don't even want to lose all of the weight, just a bit of it. Mostly I would like to get back to roadracing and try to run the LaSalle Marathon once.

I found out/remembered what ravenous creatures teenagers are. I covered a baseball game tonight and sat beside/behind 8th graders. Yuck.

I was told twice tonight I look like Clay Aiken.

Once by a girl.

Once by a guy.

I died a little inside after that.

Fat people should not be allowed to play shortstop.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
I found out/remembered what ravenous creatures teenagers are. I covered a baseball game tonight and sat beside/behind 8th graders. Yuck.

I was told twice tonight I look like Clay Aiken.

Once by a girl.

Once by a guy.

I died a little inside after that.

Fat people should not be allowed to play shortstop.

:lolhitting

It gets better.

Girl: You look like Clay Aiken.

Heads: OK

Heads: That's the first time anyone's told me that. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? {chuckle}

Girl: {Quickly} Bad thing.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 5, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Scott Lucas was on Local 101 last night, and he played a cover of some Pink Floyd song. I can't remember what it's called, but it was dreadful. Scott started mimicking their vocal style while he was singing, and the song just limped along at that meandering Pink Floyd pace. No tempo at all, just a really bad choice for a cover IMO.

It was brutal.

But the rest of the interview/performance was really good. Scott usually picks interesting songs to cover, but that was just not a good fit for him/them.

That's right, I forgot he was gonna be on, damn I missed it.

Going to see them see them Friday??

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
62 years ago today...a storm over the English Channel broke, and gave 24 hours of decent weather.

I had a great uncle that was there.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
That's right, I forgot he was gonna be on, damn I missed it.

Going to see them see them Friday??

No, unfortunately.

Mandatory overtime at this f***ing useless job killed the idea for me.

It's also killing tonight's game for me.

And it's killing any chance of my attending my daughter's T-ball game tomorrow night.

I really want out of this pile of s*** job.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
You wanna know what the worst part about having a young child is? Getting a damned theme song from one of those kids shows stuck in your head :chair :fight :fight :puke :whip

Eh please, you wouldn't change any of it for the world. :)