This one is in for a rude awakening in a few years

Steff

Student Sues to End Summer Homework

Friday, January 21, 2005

MILWAUKEE — A student whose vacation plans were spoiled has sued to end summer homework in Wisconsin, claiming it creates an unfair workload and unnecessary stress.

Peer Larson, 17, had lined up a dream camp counselor job last June, but honors pre-calculus homework turned his summer into a headache.

"It didn't completely ruin my summer, but it did give me a lot of undue stress both at home and at work," the high school junior said Thursday. "I just didn't have the energy or the time for it."

Larson and his father sued in Milwaukee County Circuit (search) the Larsons' concerns.

"I strongly believe the district acted appropriately and didn't do anything wrong," she said. "Court is not the place to solve it."

While students will probably root for the Larsons, lawyers contacted Thursday questioned the suit's legal grounds. Larson and his son had acted as their own legal counsel.

"This is the sort of thing that has been traditionally handled by school boards," said attorney Thomas R. Schrimpf (search). Another attorney, Timothy Baldwin (search), predicted the case would be dismissed.

As a parent who has seen this every summer for the last few years, I hope he wins.

If the teachers want to make these assignments, then their ass better be available for help when the students need it. Of course they aren't. If the schools cannot teach the full curriculm in the normal school year, then there is a problem.

Instead, last summer I listened to my daughter stress for two months that her 8th grade year was already ruined before it started because she couldn't complete an assignment.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
It only gets worse.  I'd give anything to be back in high school.

Not me, college is so much easier than HS

I never have homework, all I have to do is go to class for like 2 hours a day 4 times a week and then im free for the rest of the time..

Its way better than HS ever was.. 8 hour days and homework for each class was such bulls***

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Not me, college is so much easier than HS

I never have homework, all I have to do is go to class for like 2 hours a day 4 times a week and then im free for the rest of the time..

Its way better than HS ever was.. 8 hour days and homework for each class was such bulls***

you never have or you never do homework? ;) in between my weekly classes they always give me a crapload to read. of course i hardly ever read it unless i absolutely have to, say for a test... :ph34r:

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
What kind of moron assigns homework over the summer?  :banghead

It's becoming the norm. Almost every English Lit course requires a novel be read over the summer. That I can kind of understand, yet it puts transfer students at a disadvantage. Calculus homework and some of the other core subjects really suck with this. No one to help if a kid gets stuck.

Ever since I transfered to a public school, we never have any homework over the summer. Back in the day when I went to a catholic school I had a math packet and like 5 books to read over the summer. That really sucked. Now all I do in the summer is play baseball, work, and hang out with friends, that is the way it should be.

I had to read 3 books for eng. lit. before my soph. year and before this year, but that's the only summer hw i've ever had. I'm taking AP English next year, so I'm sure I'll have at least 3 or 4 books to read, but you won't hear me complaining. It's just something that comes along with taking AP or honors classes. Although I do agree that it would be hard to do math over the summer if you had no one to teach you how to do it.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
I had to read 3 books for eng. lit. before my soph. year and before this year, but that's the only summer hw i've ever had.  I'm taking AP English next year, so I'm sure I'll have at least 3 or 4 books to read, but you won't hear me complaining.  It's just something that comes along with taking AP or honors classes.  Although I do agree that it would be hard to do math over the summer if you had no one to teach you how to do it.

That makes me glad that my school doesn't give homework over the summer like that. I'm in AP and honors classes but have never had any homework over the summer.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
It's an honors class, so he should expect more homework out of it. Sure, it's stupid to give out homework in the summer, but suing just because of homework is not very smart either.

Maybe it was for his Citizenship in the Nation class :D

Let's see here ... The US keeps falling farther and farther behind European and Asian nations in quality of education and our students feel they're entitled to a homework free summer.

This is more of an indictment of our national priorities than it is a slap at you guys. That's all you guys know. It's not your fault.

One day, our failure to get, and expect, the maximum performance from our youth is going to come back to haunt us.

In my last 2 years of High School I got regular Summer Vacation Homework that I had to do, especially reading books for English. I know it isn't glamorous, but you'll be glad you read the book and answered some topic questions then, instead of a day or two before a big exam.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:49 AM)
Let's see here ... The US keeps falling farther and farther behind European and Asian nations in quality of education and our students feel they're entitled to a homework free summer. 

This is more of an indictment of our national priorities than it is a slap at you guys.  That's all you guys know.  It's not your fault. 

One day, our failure to get, and expect, the maximum performance from our youth is going to come back to haunt us.

YASNY,

I agree with the summer reading program stuff, but the science, math, and other subjects I have a problem with. If the program is going to really work, the teachers have to be available as well. Whether it is once a week, via email, via phone, or whatever, the rest of the puzzle needs to be there as well.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:49 AM)

This is more of an indictment of our national priorities than it is a slap at you guys.  That's all you guys know.  It's not your fault. 

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy