Which injury is more detrimental to the White Sox?

aboz56

Which injury hurts the White Sox chances more this season  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which injury hurts the White Sox chances more this season

• Mark Buehrle
    • Frank Thomas

Buerhle, and its not even close. Frank is a great hitter, but Buerhle is the only guy in the Sox projected starting rotation with an era under 6.00 this spring. Frank is out, Everett takes his place. You might lose a little but you never know how Frank comes back. Buerhle eats up innings, besides wins games. If he's out a prolonged time it not only downgrades the starting rotation immensely, it also taxes the bullpen. Hopefully everything is ok with Mark. He is IMHO the guy the Sox could least afford to lose on their roster.

Frank...

MB will be fine.. Schilling proved you can pitch with an f'd up foot. I don't think the injury is too bad, and he'll be back to normal before you know it.

Thomas? Have you seen his calf? Mine's bigger than his. He uses his front foot more than anyone else in baseball. It's going to be awhile before he's the frank of old.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Thomas? Have you seen his calf? Mine's bigger than his. He uses his front foot more than anyone else in baseball.  It's going to be awhile before he's the frank of old.

Great point, hell he may never be the Frank of old again.

As much as I like Frank, it's Buerhle.

This puts a lot of pressure on BMac. As much as I want to see him pitch, I feel he'd still benefit from more time down in AAA. However, we don't seem to have much choice on that anymore. Our pitching's a lot deeper this year than last, and BMac just has to try to put up #5 starter numbers while Buerhle's out. This is just a big blow.

The offense proved last year that it could do just about the same thing while Frank's out. The offense has proven that it can do a decent job with this new mindset sans Frank, this spring. Frank's bat and numbers will help this offense a lot though when it comes back. Though the 2004 offense was comparable without Frank, it was no question better with Frank.

Without a doubt,MB. You can't replace your best pitcher. Look at the offense last year without Frank and Maggs with no good replacements. We still scored tons of runs but couldn't stop anyone from scoring. In baseball pitching and defense wins.

Does anyone know the fundamental difference between baseball and all other sports?

The defense has control of the ball/puck/object. This is why pitching and defense is so important.

this team still has enough pop to make up for Big Frank. what killed us more than anything last year was the lack of a 5th starter, and for the first month that's what our problem will be. on the bright side, we'll get a good look at McCarthy, and see how he responds to the pressure.

Edited by AirScott

Well think of it this way. If Buehrle goes down for the long haul its definately Buehrle. In the case that Buehrle may miss 1 or 2 starts, I'd go with Frank because his bat when 100% and coming off a completely healthy offseason is an MVP caliber bat.

However, if Buehrle is out a while the Sox lose there best pitcher and while I love Bmac, now have him and then the other questionable guys. With Thomas down, something the Sox have known about the entire offseason, they still have Gload and Everett, two very capable performers.