Most Valuable Acquisition After 28 Games

Wedge

Which of the additions to the Sox is most valuable this season?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the additions to the Sox is most valuable this season?

• Tadahito Iguchi
    • Orlando Hernandez
    • Scott Podsednik
    • Dustin Hermanson
    • Luis Vizcaino
    • A.J. Pierzynski
    • Jermaine Dye
    • Pablo Ozuna
    • Chris Widger

Each of these guys has had some role in this team's success so far this season, but who's contribution has been the most valuable so far?

I think the field gets narrowed to Iguchi, Hernandez, Pods, Hermanson, and AJ. I personally will vote for El Duque because adding a good fifth starter (not in the "fifth starter"'s role, per say, but rather, just getting a fifth major league pitcher) makes a huge difference from last season. We aren't just losing 20% of our games because we can't field a whole team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
So far, I would vote for AJ, with zero second thoughts.  He has made this pitching staff instantly better.

Ditto. AJ is the most valuable pickup for sure, he's great at handeling the pitching staff, blocks everything in the dirt, gives good offensive production from th catchers position and I believe is great presence in the club house. Not to mention the fact that he's becomming a fan favorite, at least in my heart. :wub:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
So far, I would vote for AJ, with zero second thoughts.  He has made this pitching staff instantly better.

I went with AJ also for those reasons. Each new Sox on that list has made significant contributions to the team. Wouldn't be where we are without all of them.

QUOTE(gettysburg32 @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
I'm voting for Gooch.  But, and this is a great problem to have, one could easily make cases for Pods, AJ, Hermy, or even El Duque, so basically an "all of the above" choice would've been my vote.

not if dye is on that list :banghead

When you are 12-3 in 1 run games in your first 28 games it goes without saying that your RBI leaders are your most valuable players.

He's not on the list but Everett's 25 RBI's have played a MAJOR role in the 21-7 record. He should be on the list as he is our MVP right now. W/out Everett we are likely on the short end of the 1 run game record & trailing Minny. Even with the good pitching were getting.

But since he's not on the list, Iguchi is the next obvious choice. Offensively his .337A speaks for itself. He's top 4 in RBI, & tied w Pods for lead in R. But what gives him the biggest edge is his defense. He's been a big part of the DP's & he shown terrific range near 2B. So his stellar D & stellar average make him an obvious choice.

I picked El Duque. He hasn't just solidified the 5th spot. He's served as a mentor an calming influence on El Conde.

Is it a coincidence that Contreras has been throwing better with El Duque in the dugout? I don't think so. I've seen him drop down side-arm and throw a variety of pitches from that arm angle. Who do you think is in his ear telling him to do that? It's not AJ or Coop, that's for sure.

I don't think there was a better fit for this pitching staff than El Duque.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 6, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
I picked El Duque.  He hasn't just solidified the 5th spot.  He's served as a mentor an calming influence on El Conde.

Is it a coincidence that Contreras has been throwing better with El Duque in the dugout? I don't think so.  I've seen him drop down side-arm and throw a variety of pitches from that arm angle.  Who do you think is in his ear telling him to do that?  It's not AJ or Coop, that's for sure.

I don't think there was a better fit for this pitching staff than El Duque.

Especially at the price we got him at, considering what others were getting.

I think I'd have to go with Duque too. The guy is pitching decent, he solidified the rotation, is helping to fix Contreras, and has done all this while being the oldest person in the dugout. :P

In addition to all the other reasons mentioned, AJ's attitude is paramount to the early success of the team. He brought a cockiness, a brashness, a chip on his shoulder that seems to be contagious to the rest of the team. The lack of that has always been our downfall in the past. AJ!