what should we do about Frank Thomas

soxman35

whare should we put Frank  

34 members have voted

1. 1. whare should we put Frank

• should we DH him and move Carl
    • should we move Paul to DH and put Frank at First
    • or should we keep it how it is and try to get rid of frank or just not play him

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
That means frank would play every 4 days. I don't like it.

I agree, I think Frank plays every day, considering he will get on base more than almost anyone in the League. I think that this may take care of itself as Dye is due for a freak injury pretty soon. BUt we can always use the 4 man rotation in the OF going into the dog days of summer and keep everyone a little fresh.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(soxman35 @ May 9, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
we dont need Frank I rather have Carl in there hes proved himself to me. Frank i think is getting old and washed up and is pritty negative towards the team. when he is playing. I think if he comes back for a couple of game we are going to start losing and ozzy is going to get pissed take him out and then we will start our winning streak again.

It would be different if he was completely over the hill, but he had an 1.100 OPS at the end of May last year.

Seriously though, with your track record, NOBODY takes your baseball thoughts seriously anyway.

Guest JimH
he May be alright at first i actully might want to see him play there Konerko is sucking he is in a bad slump maybe he will be good there i would like to just check him out there at first just for like a game or so just to see if he can do it and if he can leave him there i am cool with that

:cheers  :gosox3:

I'm thinking maybe there should be a comma in here somewhere? :D :bang

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Maybe Frank can play CF...didn't he do that during ST??? :ph34r:

You know I would pay cash money to see him try and play CF....in an exhibition game of course :P .....

Seriously benching Rowand.... Please...He's a late starter...lets make the same mistake the Sox made every year (except last year) and take Rowand out of the lineup as he's getting hot. Glad your not the manager.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
It would be different if he was completely over the hill, but he had an 1.100 OPS at the end of May last year. 

Seriously though, with your track record, NOBODY takes your baseball thoughts seriously anyway.

if u take nothing i say seriously dont respond to me buddy

It goes without saying that they will ease Frank in. He's experienced a lot of muscle atrophy in that foot & it would be better to let him start every other day for a while. Of course that's only an issue if he ran hard the night before. If he never reached base, walked & had a pinch runner, hit a HR, or any other play where he didn't really run hard you can probably come back with him the next day.

But if at any time in the game he had to really run like a sprint it's probably best to give him the next day off. For a month or so at least.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Well, I don't like having Carl in the field or Frank...so both are DHs period.  I don't think there is a perfect answer.  Maybe Carl just needs to move around a little...play left....play first...DH...and get in 3-4 games a week, moving around....being a super sub type....who can't field :bang

I pretty much agree with this. As others said, Frank should be in almost every game for his OBP. They should be able to find a way to get Carl like 3 starts a week playing matchups. When we face a tough righty who one of the other guys has a hard time hitting, put Carl in there. Otherwise, I think he would be a great pinch-hitter off the bench.

If Frank plays any more games at first for the rest of his career I will be shocked. He's had 2 season ending injuries there. He's more immobile now then he ever was before and he never could throw. That being said I can't wait to see him back in the lineup at DH. I didn't vote in the poll because, as a number of you have pointed out, once he's back, we 'll have a round robin of playing time between Frank, Carl, Paulie, Aaron, Jermaine and Pods though mostly between Frank ,Carl and Dye.

The power off the bench will really be strengthened by Frank's return as will our ability to score runs from the every day lineup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1.) Frank has to be at DH almost everyday. His OBP and hitting are greatly needed for our lineup.

2.) Play Dye in RF versus lefties and bench Everett.

3.) Play Everett in LF, Pods in CF, and Rowand in RF versus righties and bench Dye.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
We don't need Frank in our line up?  Have you looked at our team OBP lately?  I can't believe anyone could possible think that and consider it logical.  :o

I don't know how long it will take Frank to get his swing back, but we all know that he will get walks in the meantime.

Frank is a BIG right-handed bullet to have in the gun late in games whether it be on the bench as a PH or in the lineup. Right now if we needed to have a RH PH, who would it be? If anything, he can get a late-inning walk and then Ozuna can pinch run for him, setting up a scoring situation.

Don't discount the presence of Frank in the game. Pitchers don't fear him like 10 years ago, but they also don't want to make a mistake against him.

I think you are asking a lot of Frank to play everyday at DH. The guy is going to get on base close to 40% of the time. Let's not forget he's still undergoing shock therapy to loosen the scar tissue in the foot.

I think initially the Sox should try to play him every other day so that he's not running consecutive days. Keep him available as a PH every game even if it's just for him to reach base & be replaced by a PR.

We should play this one by ear. If he complains of pain after saying running out a double it might be best to let him sit the next night.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
We don't need Frank in our line up?  Have you looked at our team OBP lately?  I can't believe anyone could possible think that and consider it logical.  :o

Consider the source... :ph34r:

Last year, Frank deserved to be an all-star before he was hurt. If he's healthy enough to play every day, and he can contribute like he did last year, then there's no question he's an upgrade over Everett. That man can simply kill the ball and dominate a game. He was on pace for a 40 HR season last year before he was hurt.

Personally, I like the idea of having Frank as the DH, and using Everett as a Ruben Sierra style pinch hitter. Of course, it's always possible that this will be rendered a moot point thanks to Franks' health issues.

Either that, or maybe we use Everett to replace Dye for part of the year. (I know people complain about Everett's defense, but really, can he possibly be that much worse than what Dye is doing right now that his hitting won't make up the difference?)