*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Is Konerko a solid contributor to our offense?  I think at this point in the season you'd have to say no.

At this point, no. Earlier in the season? Yes He's streaky and everyone knows how his monthy averages fluctuate. I do recall several games (most recently against Washburn in Anaheim) where he provided crucial hits for this club. Every run is important with this offense.

I just don't envision Williams trading Konerko. Which contending team is so desperate for offense they would be willing to to trade a decent reliever or another solid, major league contributer for Konerko?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
He leads the team in RBI's and HR's

True, but I feel like Tadahito or Podsednik add more to this offense than Konerko does. There's a lot of first basemen out there that can hit for power AND better average than Konerko and they come a bunch cheaper.

Konerko leaves a wide margin for improvement from the 1B spot.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
Wow, that goes far beyond what I thought it did.  :ph34r:

What were people talking about only 30 million remaining on his contract?

If you're going to pay a guy (on average) ten million bucks a year, Chavez is just about the guy who you should give it to. One of the best defensive thirdbasemen in all of baseball, and it looks like he's going to be a fixture every year in that 125-135 OPS+ mark, which is really good.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
At this point, no. Earlier in the season? Yes He's streaky and everyone knows how his monthy averages fluctuate. I do recall several games (most recently against Washburn in Anaheim) where he provided crucial hits for this club. Every run is important with this offense.

I just don't envision Williams trading Konerko. Which contending team is so desperate for offense they would be willing to to trade a decent reliever or another solid, major league contributer for Konerko?

The only team i see needing a good hitting firstbaseman that contending are the braves

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
i dont know if someone said this earlier but eric chavez hit a grandslam earlier.

(maybe he is coming out of his slump)

I wouldn't say that yet. He has to go on a tear for at least a week before we can think that. Crede hit two homers in two days, but I'm sure we all know he's not coming out of any slump.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
I wouldn't say that yet.  He has to go on a tear for at least a week before we can think that.  Crede hit two homers in two days, but I'm sure we all know he's not coming out of any slump.

crede is to streaky he will go on like 2 week tears then he go through 2 months where he'll play like crap. id rather have chavez proven talent.

It makes no sense to add so much payroll and give up our insurance policy pitcher for a guy whose career BA is only 50 points or so higher than Crede. If you really want an upgrade at 3B, you could get Randa ($2 Mil. Salary) for only Crede and one of our lesser relievers, such as Vizcaino.

Edited by trexer

QUOTE(trexer @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
It makes no sense to add so much payroll and give up our insurance policy pitcher for a guy whose career BA is only 50 points or so higher than Crede.  If you really want an upgrade at 3B, you could get Randa ($2 Mil. Salary) for only Crede and one of our lesser relievers, such as Vizcaino.

I dont think we should give up Bmac we should give up Crede and a couple other minor leagurs.

QUOTE(trexer @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
It makes no sense to add so much payroll and give up our insurance policy pitcher for a guy whose career BA is only 50 points or so higher than Crede.

Only? :huh:

Edited by knightni

Here's my Eric Chavez dream situation:

Eric stays on the A's for the duration of his contract and makes them pay him that entire salary while they have no chance of contending. Meanwhile, the White Sox find some miraculous way of acquiring David Wright.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Eric stays on the A's for the duration of his contract and makes them pay him that entire salary while they have no chance of contending.

There's another reason I don't want Williams to approve any trade involving McCarthy, and the (probable) transfer of a high percentage of Chavez's contract: we're providing Beane with more financial wiggle room over these next 6 years. I don't want Oakland to take our prospects, in addition to spending availalbe money on acquiring necessary components for their club. I enjoy watching this Oakland team collapse. :drink :cheers

What harm would be done if every general manager just ignored Beane? Didn't take his phone calls; looked the other way when he attempted to unload unwanted contracts. Let him draft his way back to contention. Just let Chavez continue to question the foundation of "moneyball" (aka mulder+hudsonball), and otherwise dissolve the sentiment among management and Chavez. Should make the next 6 years VERY interesting in Oakland. :headbang

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
There's another reason I don't want Williams to approve any trade involving McCarthy, and the (probable) transfer of a high percentage of Chavez's contract: we're providing Beane with more financial wiggle room over these next 6 years. I don't want Oakland to take our prospects, in addition to spending availalbe money on acquiring necessary components for their club.  I enjoy watching this Oakland team collapse.  :drink  :cheers

What harm would be done if every general manager just ignored Beane? Didn't take his phone calls; looked the other way when he attempted to unload unwanted contracts. Let him draft his way back to contention. Just let Chavez continue to question the foundation of "moneyball" (aka mulder+hudsonball), and otherwise dissolve the sentiment among management and Chavez. Should make the next 6 years VERY interesting in Oakland.  :headbang

yeah but who gives a f*** about Oakland. Instead of screwing Oakland most GM's as well as fans want their own team to win. I'll fix Beane's problems if it helps get the Sox to a World Series.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
I hope this deal gets done but I am going to take the ol wait and see approach and try not to get over excited by every new rumor or whatever....

Thats the approach we should tall take to any rumor. Remember KW likes to hide under the radar as far as rumors and trades are concerned. This rumor seems to be right on KWs doorstep. He rarely pulls a move off when its the talk of town. Last season we didn't expect KW to acquire Freddy Garcia when he did it. And this year- if we aqcuire Chavez- it would be when we least think about it. Or when we think the rumor is in fact just a rumor.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 3, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Out of curiousity, does anybody remember any of the rumors when we were trading for Garcia, specifically, which players at that time were being rumored to go to Seattle?

I don't think anybody here anticipated Miguel Olivo being part of any trade discussions. That was a stunner.