seriously, mods I don't get it.

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
You know you're in trouble when you see her finger waving though...  :nono

:D

LMAO.. Poor Ken. I saw him last Sunday cause we were in the Scout Seats (and I never see him anymore since he moved) and he was like "there she is... " turns to the guy he was walking in the tunnel with and says.. "don't ever tick this girl off..." and did the " :nono "

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Actually it does. Newbies have always been welcomed with open arms. I guess you're the exception.

I gotta agree with you. At least from my experience. I am an evil Twins fan and have never had a problem with anyone on the board

I think newbies are mostly accepted by everyone on soxtalk, I came here middle of last season I think and fitted in perfectly.

It really is the newest crop of newbies that have just been causing a lot of problems. Im not saying all of them are but a majority of them seem to be. I think the problem is with us being so good this year instead of being mostly die hard sox fans joining the message boards its bandwagon fans who are annoying when discussing baseball.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
I gotta agree with you. At least from my experience. I am an evil Twins fan and have never had a problem with anyone on the board

:cheers

Who woulda thought having a twinkie fan here would be a good thing? :lol:

Jims a good poster for the enemy. He doesnt talk s*** and keeps it civilized.

I cannot speak for the other mods and admins but some posters have earned a level of respect and perhaps preferential treatment. Just like the NBA, a known commodity and superstar gets the calls. My thought process a lot of times works like this.

Man, that's weird that XYZ poster jumped all over that guy, he's never been like that in the past 12 months. This new guy has been here one week and already he's in a flame war with someone.

One flame in 12 months is probably no big deal.

One flame the first week you are here, it gets attention.

As a mod I feel that Jason (ChiSoxfn) has entrusted me to help in a small way. In turn we trust posters to act like adults and behave at this party. I'd give my best friend the keys to my truck without hesitation, I wouldn't to someone I met a month ago. I trust long term posters to act responsibly and when they get a little out of line, I politely as possible ask them to edit, modify, reword, delete, etc. I can say in the time I have been a mod, every poster who has been here more than a year has complied. The b****ing has always been from someone who has only been here a short time. What does that say?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
It really is the newest crop of newbies that have just been causing a lot of problems.  Im not saying all of them are but a majority of them seem to be.

W/ all due respect, I totally disagree. There are a couple problems, but there always will be. There were problems over the winter, and some have now become accepted. As someone else said, they just became part of the scene.

Just scanning the list of recent joiners, you have Milkman, kyyle, Princess, Balta -- all very good posters, in my experience. (Not limited to those -- I had a couple more in mind, but forgot them after leaving the list.)

The problem lies just as much w/ posters, old as well as new, who are impatient and carry grudges from one thread to the next. The 'riffing' after a bad idea does seem to drag on and on. It's easy to blame the problems on newbies, but I don't see that. Jmho.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
I cannot speak for the other mods and admins but some posters have earned a level of respect and perhaps preferential treatment. Just like the NBA, a known commodity and superstar gets the calls. My thought process a lot of times works like this.

Man, that's weird that XYZ poster jumped all over that guy, he's never been like that in the past 12 months. This new guy has been here one week and already he's in a flame war with someone.

One flame in 12 months is probably no big deal.

One flame the first week you are here, it gets attention.

As a mod I feel that Jason (ChiSoxfn) has entrusted me to help in a small way. In turn we trust posters to act like adults and behave at this party. I'd give my best friend the keys to my truck without hesitation, I wouldn't to someone I met a month ago. I trust long term posters to act responsibly and when they get a little out of line, I politely as possible ask them to edit, modify, reword, delete, etc. I can say in the time I have been a mod, every poster who has been here more than a year has complied. The b****ing has always been from someone who has only been here a short time. What does that say?

Well, again, all due respect -- but w/ reference to yr first paragraph, it might say that they realize they aren't being treated on the same level as older hands. Not w/ everyone, but w/ some.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
The problem lies just as much w/ posters, old as well as new, who are impatient and carry grudges from one thread to the next.  The 'riffing' after a bad idea does seem to drag on and on.  It's easy to blame the problems on newbies, but I don't see that.  Jmho.

I have a ton of respect for a few posters who go toe to toe in one forum, never agreeing, and can bury the hatchet and agree in another. For example Nuke should be living as a Neanderthal in a cave and is an absolute idiot on foreign policy and politics in general, but somehow is a genius when it comes to baseball. :gosox4:

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)

Wow, it's sad I never even realized. I noticed you a lot in the Twins series threads, but that's about it. At least this proves we're all able to get along. :cheers

Guys and gals, this is a GREAT thread. There's some things that have needed aired out and I think everyone handled this in a very good way.

We know we make mistakes, but we try to do what's best for every one of you. We try as best as we can to look at the big picture on this site.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Kap

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Guys and gals, this is a GREAT thread.  There's some things that have needed aired out and I think everyone handled this in a very good way.

We know we make mistakes, but we try to do what's best for every one of you.  We try as best as we can to look at the big picture on this site.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Kap

i agree this was the "creepy group circle discussion like the one in one flew over a cuckoo's nest" thread

hopefully this will help things around here.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
W/ all due respect, I totally disagree.  There are a couple problems, but there always will be.  There were problems over the winter, and some have now become accepted.  As someone else said, they just became part of the scene.

Just scanning the list of recent joiners, you have Milkman, kyyle, Princess, Balta -- all very good posters, in my experience.  (Not limited to those -- I had a couple more in mind, but forgot them after leaving the list.)

The problem lies just as much w/ posters, old as well as new, who are impatient and carry grudges from one thread to the next.  The 'riffing' after a bad idea does seem to drag on and on.  It's easy to blame the problems on newbies, but I don't see that.  Jmho.

I agree with this statment.

I do have some problems with some of the regulars on here and believe that they go out of line more often than enough, but I don't go confronting them every chance I get. I've picked up on 2 certain "regulars" who have seemed to cause their fair share of problems. I simply just avoid the threads they post in like they plague and don't bother debating with them. "Newbies", just stay clear of any potential danger and stay away from personal attacks. I say thats the best way to get along here, it's pretty simple.

With that said, I say the Mods/Admins(what ever they call you guys these days) do a pretty good job cleaning up these parts. They'll ban at the 1st sight of a troll and aren't afraid to lock or delete any controversial threads created by the "regulars".

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:44 AM)
With that said, I say the Mods/Admins(what ever they call you guys these days) do a pretty good job cleaning up these parts. They'll ban at the 1st sight of a troll and aren't afraid to lock or delete any controversial threads created by the "regulars".

Just to clarify, I think "troll" means something much different here, compared to some other sites -- merely having many people dislike you does not make you a troll. (It takes quite an effort.) I agree w/ this, just don't want anyone to feel cowed.

Jackie and MB>KW, thanks for the posts... seriously.

We like to think that one think that makes us stand out is that we as mods and admins aren't above critisism and correction. We know we aren't perfect, and we want to make this the best place we can. That's why we allow you all to say when you feel like we are messing up. For people who do not know, you are always free to contact any of us and tell us your concerns and feeling, because we won't blow you off, or tell you that you are wrong. We listen and try to incorporate what we can into our site.

Ive only been here a week and this is the best sox forum I have been to. I have felt welcomed here as I am sure most newbies have. With this thread and the announcement at the top by heads saying that the quality of this site has gone down has upset me, because from my first week here I noticed this is a great site. If this is how it is how good it is in its bad state, then it must be awesome in its good state!

Wow, I just read this entire thread and got a warm feeling inside. I've been worried for some time about whether our moderating had become too lenient or would become too strict.

I think the best part of this board is how users old and new can have thoughtful discussion without regard for each others' age/post count/etc. on this board.

I just don't want new posters to be afraid to start threads. In fact, I think the best way to get a feel for Soxtalk is to just jump right in and start a new thread or two if you have an interesting thought.

The emotional outbursts and knee-jerk reaction posts are common in game threads and I think that's where they should stay. So if something happens during a game and you're pissed about it, post it in the game thread. After the game if you're still steaming, maybe just cool down for a few minutes before starting a new thread. I think that would cut down on alot of what people sense is a degrading of Pale Hose Talk.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I just don't want new posters to be afraid to start threads.  In fact, I think the best way to get a feel for Soxtalk is to just jump right in and start a new thread or two if you have an interesting thought.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that point.

In my opinion, it's best to sit back and observe at first to get a feel for the board. I've noticed some of the new threads started by new posters have been a bit below-SoxTalk standards, in my humble opinion. Maybe that's just my personal style as far as sitting back and getting a feel for it first, but that's what I think, and I believe I have read similar sentiments in this thread...

:gosox3:

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Sorry, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that point.

In my opinion, it's best to sit back and observe at first to get a feel for the board.  I've noticed some of the new threads started by new posters have been a bit below-SoxTalk standards, in my humble opinion.  Maybe that's just my personal style as far as sitting back and getting a feel for it first, but that's what I think, and I believe I have read similar sentiments in this thread...

:gosox3:

That's true for some posters as well. Everyone is a little bit different but I really enjoy seeing a fresh idea from a new poster pop up once in a while, even if it is a bit unorthodox.

I just found a perfect example to the comment on how admins and moderaters are treated better than other posters. In the NHL Salary Cap thread people would say something bad about the NHL and everyone would say "If you dont like the NHL stay out of an NHL thread" well then aboz comes in and says "the nhl :sleep :sleep :sleep " and no one says a word to him.