TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Thats absolutely huge.  But does it solve the problem of insuring against El Duque's health? Nope.

This could possibly exaggerate the problem, with Lowell and his down year(.226, 4 HR, .282 OBP, .351 SLG, 36 RBI) making Crede look like a godsend, and no gaurantees for Burnett.

This could be a bad deal.

Yea the whole adding Lowell to the deal kind of puts a damper on it. Lowell is not the same player he was last year.

Would i trade Marte and Contreras for Burnett? YES

Would i trade Marte, Contreras and Crede for Burnett and Lowell? NO! Crede>Lowell IMO.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Agreed that this could be a deal that looks really good... if it was 2003 or 2004.  How is Lowell's defense?  I'm unfamiliar since I haven't watched him play except in spots (playoffs/interleague vs. White Sox).

/turns to the numbers wizard Juggernaut

Time to churn out some numbers Juggs!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
THe Marlins beat-writer was just on 670WSCR and confirmed that 12 teams are after Burnett, but the 3 major teams interester are Baltamore, Toronto and the White Sox.  He said the Marlins have been interested in Contreras for over 2 years now- and see him as there potential closer. He also said the Marlins want to dump Mike Lowell's contract so would most likely have to be involved with this trade. So this trade would most likely be: Contreras, Marte and Crede for Burnett and Lowell. WOW- thats Blockbuster.

I would do that deal. If sox doctors say burnett and lowell are healthy, i think the sox would do this.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Yea the whole adding Lowell to the deal kind of puts a damper on it. Lowell is not the same player he was last year.

Would i trade Marte and Contreras for Burnett? YES

Would i trade Marte, Contreras and Crede for Burnett and Lowell? NO! Crede>Lowell IMO.

Lowell was very average the second half of last season, and brutal the first half of this. Up until then, he's an All Star. He only made 7 errors last year, but I heard his range isn't the greatest. He definitely would be a downgrade defensively from Crede. Offensively, he could be anything from a huge upgrade to actually a downgrade. If that's the deal, and really who knows, its a good thing that Ozzie knows Mike Lowell very well. What is the cause of the drop off? Did he use the same vitamins the Giambi boys and Corky were using?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
It seems to me the asking price for both Schmidt & Burnett is too high.

Garland for Schmidt?  Hell no.  A Penny like pkg for Burnett?  No.

Burnett & Ozzie are not good friends nor do they share any family like ties.

Burnett is a rent-a-player no matter who trades for him.  He's not going to pass up what he's likely to get on the open market in an off-season where he'll be the #1 target.

With Halladay down Lilly has been promoted to #1 in the TBJ rotation.  They do have a fan base to appease so his price just went up.  You're asking them to trade their current #1.  That won't come cheap.  They had to promote from w/in for their 5th & with Lilly gone they would be expecting at player in return who could be a #3/#4 on their team. 

I think KW should concentrate on Omar & Randa since they seem more likely candidates on teams going no where.

How do you know this?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Toronto is a runner for Burnett as well and they have needs in the rotation because of the injury to Halladay so I think Burnett will go to the blue jays.  Money is not an issue with them...

Blue Jays: Team making play for Marlins pitcher Burnett

Thursday, July 14, 2005

News

There are plenty of suitors for Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett as the trade deadline nears, but the Blue Jays are one of the teams with the most realistic shot at acquiring him, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg is one of Burnett's closest friends, dating to their partnership with the Marlins in 2002-03. Add to that the fact the Marlins covet what the Blue Jays consider a tradable commodity in pitcher Gustavo Chacin, and the Blue Jays have the ability to raise payroll as much as $30 million a year over the next two years and you have a scenario that makes sense. Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi recently called Marlins GM Larry Beinfest and told him to check back with him before dealing Burnett, so we'll see if something gets done.

Views

The Jays are even more desperate for quality starting pitching given the Roy "Doc" Halladay injury and Burnett would be a very solid patch to that problem, and eventual number two when Doc is able to return. If Burnett makes the move, he'll be going from an extreme pitcher's park to an extreme hitter's park which would make predicting his success much more difficult. Burnett is likely to be somewhere besides Florida when the trade deadline hits and for now, only time will tell.

Not coming.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
Lowell was very average the second half of last season, and brutal the first half of this. Up until then, he's an All Star. He only made 7 errors last year, but I heard his range isn't the greatest. He definitely would be a downgrade defensively from Crede. Offensively, he could be anything from a huge upgrade to actually a downgrade. If that's the deal, and really who knows, its a good thing that Ozzie knows Mike Lowell very well. What is the cause of the drop off? Did he use the same vitamins the Giambi boys and Corky were using?

I would do this deal in a heartbeat. Yeah Lowell may not be as good as Crede defensively, but he is not awful defensively. He is actually very solid.

His upside offensively is huge compared to Crede. Crede is what he is. We have seen what he can do. Lowell could breakout at anytime and he is a natural pull hitter.

AJ Burnett is much better than Contreras and I am not a big fan of Damaso, so that part of the deal is easy to say yes to to me. I like this trade and all I have to say is :

WHERE DO I SIGN?!?!

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
Not coming.

He could decide to come here as a rent-a-pitcher and sign with the jays next year. the jays aren't going to make the playoffs so why not try to put us over the top and sign his big money deal after the season.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I would do this deal in a heartbeat. Yeah Lowell may not be as good as Crede defensively, but he is not awful defensively. He is actually very solid.

His upside offensively is huge compared to Crede. Crede is what he is. We have seen what he can do. Lowell could breakout at anytime and he is a natural pull hitter.

AJ Burnett is much better than Contreras and I am not a big fan of Damaso, so that part of the deal is easy to say yes to to me. I like this trade and all I have to say is :

WHERE DO I SIGN?!?!

One thing about Lowell is that up until this season, his average offensive season is extremely similar to Eric Chavez's. But the dropoff in the second half last year and even farther down so far this year have to raise some flags. Moneywise, if the Sox aren't throwing in any cash, the payroll would only go up slightly if at all. Plus they would have all their prospects for other players. I don't know if I would do this trade to be honest with you. The biggest problem I have with it is the Sox are trading 2 pitchers and getting 1 back. If KW had another trade lined up to replace Marte, then I think I would like this deal. For the record, I am a big fan of Jose Contreras. I think the White Sox should either send him to a shrink or have him hypnotized. I really believe if he believed in himself his $8 million salary would be one of the biggest bargains in baseball.

THe Marlins beat-writer was just on 670WSCR and confirmed that 12 teams are after Burnett, but the 3 major teams interester are Baltamore, Toronto and the White Sox.  He said the Marlins have been interested in Contreras for over 2 years now- and see him as there potential closer. He also said the Marlins want to dump Mike Lowell's contract so would most likely have to be involved with this trade. So this trade would most likely be: Contreras, Marte and Crede for Burnett and Lowell. WOW- thats Blockbuster.

No thank you. Moving Crede right now is a chemistry buster. Especially with the way Ozuna played everyday as his backup. Lowell is owed $18M/2yr for 2006/7.

Lowell's ZR .758 vs Crede's .831. These two have similar innings played. That's a

substantial decline.

Also, just because a guy is perceived trouble on some other team, doesn't mean will be trouble if he came to the White Sox.

Completely agree, it's all on a case by case basis.

Just saw this on the ESPN Rumor Mill about Javier Vazquez (no link included cuz it's on Insider).

According to the East Valley Tribune, Florida newspapers have reported that the Marlins are interested in Javier Vazquez. But Arizona managing partner Ken Kendrick says the Diamondbacks have had "no communication" with Florida and the team is "not interested in moving Javy."

Could a three way deal be in the works?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)

If we have to accept Mike Lowell's $32 million contract, then there is no way they should get Damaso Marte in the deal unless they are giving us something else or paying half of Lowell's contract.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
That is blockbuster; however, we have to remember what the goal of acquiring another starting pitcher is: to replace HERNANDEZ.  If we trade Contreras, we still have the same problem that we had before.

I disagree. If we want a 4th starter for the postseason, the best move is to send off Contreras and his $8 million salary. That would make Schmidt or Burnett affordable next year because they would be put into Jose's salary slot. El Duque will give us enough starts to help win the division, it is the postseason we should all be concerned about.

This is a blockbuster. We acquire our top notch SP that we want w/o giving up any prospects, or at least none of any magnitude. With that said, there would still be more than enough to trade for, say, Wagner.

What is up with Lowell? This guy is a very good player and has just been crappy at the dish thusfar.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
No thank you.  Moving Crede right now is a chemistry buster.  Especially with the way Ozuna played everyday as his backup.  Lowell is owed $18M/2yr for 2006/7. 

Lowell's ZR .758 vs Crede's .831. These two have similar innings played.  That's a

substantial decline.

I don't like Lowell's lack of range and offensive funk (though maybe he'd hit more HRs in the Cell). But mostly I don't like his contract. Unless JR is going to up the payroll significantly, adding Lowell will cost us a significant piece somewhere else. And no way do I give them Marte too (as he's the best chip to getting Guardado if we want to upgrade the pen).

If there's this many teams still involved, and Burnett has a wicked start tonight, the package for him will be insane. Especially now that Wang is on the DL for the Yankees (although if Pavano can't get it done on Sunday the Yankees might have to realize they have zero shot this year without those two) they might be major players in this with a ton of $$$ going to the Marlins.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
If there's this many teams still involved, and Burnett has a wicked start tonight, the package for him will be insane.  Especially now that Wang is on the DL for the Yankees (although if Pavano can't get it done on Sunday the Yankees might have to realize they have zero shot this year without those two) they might be major players in this with a ton of $$$ going to the Marlins.

I'll guarantee you the yanks aren't even a player for Burnett.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
If there's this many teams still involved, and Burnett has a wicked start tonight, the package for him will be insane.  Especially now that Wang is on the DL for the Yankees (although if Pavano can't get it done on Sunday the Yankees might have to realize they have zero shot this year without those two) they might be major players in this with a ton of $$$ going to the Marlins.

The Yankees have crap to trade compared to a handful of teams including the Sox. Big Stein won't be able to buy Burnett.

Edited by sircaffey

The Yankees have crap to trade compared to a handful of teams including the Sox.  Big Stein won't be able to buy Burnett.

The Yanks don't work that way. They use $ & vets to secure young players from a 3rd team to get what they want from the 2nd team.

So if they think Burnett can get it done they won't hesitate to trade a Sheffield, Godzilla, Willams, Giambi & a boat load of cash to get what Fla wants from a 3rd team.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Beane has stated repeatedly that Zito goes nowhere during the season.  Either he means it or the price for Zito will be outrageous.

I forget where I read it [maybe from Bob Nightengale of Sports Weekly] he said Beane was listening to offers for Zito despite his public stance. If the price were similar for Zito as it would be for Burnett, I'd rather have Zito: Cheaper next yr, not the injury concerns, better acquainted with the AL.