TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
The Yanks don't work that way.  They use $ & vets to secure young players from a 3rd team to get what they want from the 2nd team.

So if they think Burnett can get it done they won't hesitate to trade a Sheffield, Godzilla, Willams, Giambi & a boat load of cash to get what Fla wants from a 3rd team.

Wang is hurt. There are some reports he's out for the season. Pavano was supposed to pitch this series against Boston. He's going to be out at least a couple more weeks. There is talk Al Leiter may be coming to the Bronx. With Redding and May, that is one pathetic rotation.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
THe Marlins beat-writer was just on 670WSCR and confirmed that 12 teams are after Burnett, but the 3 major teams interester are Baltamore, Toronto and the White Sox.  He said the Marlins have been interested in Contreras for over 2 years now- and see him as there potential closer. He also said the Marlins want to dump Mike Lowell's contract so would most likely have to be involved with this trade. So this trade would most likely be: Contreras, Marte and Crede for Burnett and Lowell. WOW- thats Blockbuster.

If FLA liked Contreras, they'd still get the SP they wanted for this yr, maybe move him as closer next yr. The key to me is that FLA wants to dump Lowell's contract. Except the sox wouldn't take it on, mostly because it would displace crede. More likely, FLA could find a team to take on another contract to swap with another underachieving guy.

Of any team to trade contreras to, the Marlins would be a good fit for Jose due to its proximity to Cuba. the key is whether FLA would want him.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
I forget where I read it [maybe from Bob Nightengale of Sports Weekly] he said Beane was listening to offers for Zito despite his public stance. If the price were similar for Zito as it would be for Burnett, I'd rather have Zito: Cheaper next yr, not the injury concerns, better acquainted with the AL.

If the prices were equal and I had to make a trade, I also would choose Zito over Burnett. I think Zito is more of a viable option for the Sox. He hasn't pitched superwell the last few years, but he has some playoff experience.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
If anyone was scouting contreras and marte tonite I'm sure they were very impressed. Meanwhile Burnett pitches pretty bad.

Man, this is such a tough call. Burnett pitched terribly tonight, and to give up Contreras, Marte and Crede for Burnett and Lowell is pretty tough!

Such tough decision!

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Man, this is such a tough call.  Burnett pitched terribly tonight, and to give up Contreras, Marte and Crede for Burnett and Lowell is pretty tough! 

Such tough decision!

I personally don't think KW does it, but that's just me.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
This team has 58 wins in mid July, and im really get worried about sending away 3 pretty big position players for one or two brand new ones. I really think a Ted Lilly is what this team might need, I really do.

This is such a good point. I really do like Burnett but no matter how good he is, it would be hard to give up 3 players who have had roles in our success this season. Lilly would be great as you mentioned because he brings some versatility to this club in case of injuries. If Damaso is fully healthy and can throw the ball the way he did today the bullpen should be fine.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
One thing about Lowell is that up until this season, his average offensive season is extremely similar to Eric Chavez's. But the dropoff in the second half last year and even farther down so far this year have to raise some flags. Moneywise, if the Sox aren't throwing in any cash, the payroll would only go up slightly if at all. Plus they would have all their prospects for other players. I don't know if I would do this trade to be honest with you. The biggest problem I have with it is the Sox are trading 2 pitchers and getting 1 back. If KW had another trade lined up to replace Marte, then I think I would like this deal. For the record, I am a big fan of Jose Contreras. I think the White Sox should either send him to a shrink or have him hypnotized. I really believe if he believed in himself his $8 million salary would be one of the biggest bargains in baseball.

Possibly trading prospects for Guardado and Wagner?

It shouldnt take all that much to get Guardado. Wagner would take more, but we wouldn't be giving up any prospects in the Brunett trade so we would have them to trade here.

Guardado, Wagner, Brunett, Lowell > Contreras, Marte, Crede?

Then send Jenks down?

Guardado, Wagner, Politte, Hermanson, Shingo, and Vizcaino all have closer experience and would make for a really nice bullpen. Not to mention Cotts who is pretty damn good himself. Plus you will have an awesome rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Burnett, Garland, and El Duque. That is down right scary. I would still like to add a lefthanded bat (Aubrey Huff would be nice, maybe package Lowell to TB and a prospect to get him?), but I guess we can't have everything.

Too much dreaming, I know.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
This team is just not built on big names AT ALL, and adding Lowell and Burrnet just frankly scare me in not only the whole "chemistry" stuff, but just the makeup, and the look and feel of the team, sort of down the chemistry path.

In my eyes, Lilly just fits more than anyone right now.

I would rather count on the Count or El Duque instead of Lilly

Contreras pitches 7 shutout innings against a division rival.

Burnett gives up 6 runs on 6 hits (3 HRs) and 4 walks, with 3 Ks in 5 innings against a division rival. 86 pitches, only 47 strikes. Marlins give him a 3-0 lead in the top of the 2nd, and it doesn't even last a half inning.

I hope we steer clear of Burnett at this point. I don't watch Marlins games, but he seems just as much of a head case that can't control his great "stuff" as Jose.

Burnett has had only had 1 outing this year when he gave up less than 2 runs. After tonight, Contreras has had 6. Yes, 6.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
This team is just not built on big names AT ALL, and adding Lowell and Burrnet just frankly scare me in not only the whole "chemistry" stuff, but just the makeup, and the look and feel of the team, sort of down the chemistry path.

In my eyes, Lilly just fits more than anyone right now.

But tell me again why Toronto is shopping Lilly when they just lost their starting ACE? Toronto needs to add a starter, not subtract another one. We may think they are out of the wild card, but I'll bet they don't think that.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
I would rather count on the Count or El Duque instead of Lilly

Agreed with Tony and R44.

Lilly is coming back down to his norm. In June, he made five starts, went 2-3 with a 4.20 ERA in 30 IP. In July, he's gone 20 innings and put up a 1.35 ERA. More importantly (though an extremely small sample size), he's done well against some real good competition, making me think he's back to his normal self. Seven innings of shutout ball against the Cards, seven innings of two run ball against the O's (10 K's), and six innings of one run ball against Boston.

I still don't think we'll land Lilly, but he'd be a nice addition for the right price. Day would have been awesome as our long reliever, but that possibility is (most likely) out the window now.

My educated (or uneducated -- probably the latter :D ) opinion tells me that we don't get Burnett; like you guys said, too much to give up such a big part (if healthy) of our bullpen in Marte. Honestly, I think KW is doing everything in his power to get Billy Wagner. Hermanson-Wagner-Politte-Marte-Cotts-Shingo... I'd say that's the best bullpen in all of baseball.

I just don't know why we would give up Marte. When healthy he is HUGE part of our team. Burnett just doesn't feel right to me. Guardado and Wagner are on the top of my list of who I want. Kenny Rogers and Omar Vizquel are some others who I would like.

Jason Schmidt's night:

6 innings, 4 hits, 4 BBs, 7 Ks, 1 run, left for pinch hitter in 7th in 1-1 tie at Dodger Stadium.

He's still the right move for the Sox. Now that Contreras has found his form in back to back games, I wouldn't give much more than Contreras-Uribe for Schmidt-Vizquel, but it's still the best deal that has been discussed over the last two weeks. One A list prospect like Anderson and a B list prospect should be enough. And I'm not in a hurry to make this deal. July 31 would be fine.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Jason Schmidt's night:

6 innings, 4 hits, 4 BBs, 7 Ks, 1 run, left for pinch hitter in 7th in 1-1 tie at Dodger Stadium. 

He's still the right move for the Sox.  Now that Contreras has found his form in back to back games, I wouldn't give much more than Contreras-Uribe for Schmidt-Vizquel, but it's still the best deal that has been discussed over the last two weeks.  One A list prospect like Anderson and a B list prospect should be enough.  And I'm not in a hurry to make this deal.  July 31 would be fine.

Contreras hasn't rounded into form. He'll crap his pants as soon as you feel comfortable with him again. Probably next outing.

I meant to double quote... From the last post on the previous page...

Why would Toronto give up Chacin? and who is Shane?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
Contreras hasn't rounded into form. He'll crap his pants as soon as you feel comfortable with him again. Probably next outing.

I meant to double quote... From the last post on the previous page...

Why would Toronto give up Chacin? and who is Shane?

Gustavo is rumor to be going to Fla in the Burnett deal

Burnett is 5-6 now; I'm not sure he is the answer if we have to give up Contreras. Count still is the hardest pitcher to hit in the AL. I think he will be fine with more run support. Burnett or Schmidt would both be great additions, but not at the expense of Contreras.

the sox dont need to trade for 3 or 4 guys... come on

need to turn timo/willie into one better utility guy, then use that extra roster spot for bullpen arm (wagner??) OR for another starting pitcher, and push el duque back into the bullpen/starter later on this year in playoffs