Is Borchard Finally Ready?

The Ginger Kid

Borchard's ripping the cover off the ball (again) in Charlotte. I'm one of the few who thinks that Timo remains a clutch hitter, despite his average, but it's impossible to ignore Borchard's power.

His impressive run of late makes him tasty trade bait, no doubt. But should he be given a chance over Timo? I also think he's a better defensive option in the outfield.

:huh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borcard does this every year. He's still striking out a ton.

Let me know when he's hitting .280 and isn't strikingout once everyy 3 atbats.

.255 avg. 99so/306ab and only 33bb at AAA :puke

He strikes out 3 times for every walk. The guy is still all or nothing 16 HR is pretty good but he can't do anything else and he doesn't do that enough to offset his major and vast flaws.

I still like Borchard and I still think he has the potential to be an Adam Dunn type character for someone.

However, I don't think it'll be for us, for 1 simple reason. He's out of minor league options after this one. In other words, if we bring him back up, he can't be sent down again without clearing waivers and giving other teams a shot at him.

I think he'll probably move if KW does any sort of deal, for that simple reason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Borcard does this every year. He's still striking out a ton.

Let me know when he's hitting .280 and isn't strikingout once everyy 3 atbats.

.255 avg. 99so/306ab and only 33bb at AAA :puke

He strikes out 3 times for every walk. The guy is still all or nothing 16 HR is pretty good but he can't do anything else and he doesn't do that enough to offset his major and vast flaws.

Still on a hitting tear at Triple-A Charlotte, Joe Borchard went 4-for-4 with his 16th home run Thursday. During a 16-game stretch, Borchard was hitting .379 with five homers and 10 RBI.

I thought any Borchard talk was finally dead. This guy is an absolute bust. Think of any definition of bust, and he fits the description.

I hardly consider a .250 average in the minors to be tearing the cover off the ball. That equates to about a .180 average in the majors, just like every other time he came up.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Not a chance.  Listening to KW talk earlier this year, it was pretty evident to me that he had given up on Borch.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was included in a deadline deal.

I for one would not object. The White Sox gave Joe Borchard plenty of chances. One 504 foot home run does not make a career. Anyone remember Dave Nicholson?