White Sox Trade Thread

Chisoxfn

Im sure that this has been stated already, but I was thinking that if the problem with Frank Thomas persists, and it looks like he isnt going to be able to make it back this year without constant pain, then Griffey should be one target. I have been laughing at the KGJ bandwagon this whole time, but if Thomas stays on the DL, it changes my outlook. If Griffey and Everett could share the DH/4th OF role much in the same way that thomas and everett share the DH role, this team would probably be more improved. Just my two cents.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes down to it, I think Frank will need the off season to heal. He really looked like he was in pain. Can we afford to wait and see? I don't think so. Griffey is the type of player we need to replace him, but that contract is hideous.

I really hope Philly pulls the plug, because the more I think about it, the more I'm willing to take a chance on our starters in the postseason, but could you imagine if we had FIVE solid arms in the pen (and that's not even counting the super stud talent that is Bobby Jenks)? Opponents would be forced to score early and often, because they'd know that once our pen was called upon, they'd basically be shut down.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but in the Trib today it was written Philly has pulled Billy Wagner off the market. However, if they change their mind, he's the guy KW should sell the farm for IMO.

Also, Phil Rogers wrote in the Trib I think it was yesterday they could move Contreras to the pen if the Sox get AJ Burnett and don't give up JC for him. I don't lke that idea. You can't be a relief pitcher and have a penchant for walking guys, giving up HR's, and being extremely slow to the plate to boot.

The Seattle Times

July 24, 2005

This is what happens during trade-deadline week, when every lineup change, minor-league transaction, or scout's visit crackles with significance and portends heavily on the dealings to come. Or not:

• Angels beat reporters enter Mike Scioscia's office, and notice that his computer screen has Jason Schmidt's home page up. Instant conclusion: The Angels must have interest in Schmidt, whom the Giants continue to insist is not on the market.

• White Sox closer Dustin Hermanson misses time with lower-back pain, raising concerns about his availability for the stretch drive, despite MRIs that show no major damage. Instant conclusion: The Sox are in the market for a closer, a group that includes Danys Baez, Jose Mesa, Miguel Batista, possibly Billy Wagner (a free agent after the season), and the Mariners' mystery man, Eddie Guardado, whom sources say doesn't interest the Sox but beguiles just about everyone else.

• The Mariners demote outfielder Chris Snelling to Class AAA Tacoma, then change their minds and bring him back before he reports to the minors. Instant conclusion: The Mariners have a deal brewing that involves Randy Winn, and keep Snelling to take his spot - a scenario that the Mariners insisted had no truth whatsoever.

In this last, frenzied week before next Sunday's deadline for making deals without waivers, truth is often the first casualty. But with 22 of 30 teams entering the weekend within 6-½ games of a playoff berth, and numerous prominent players believed to be on the trade block, there are definitely deals to be made.

The Mariners have yet to publicly concede the obvious - that they are hopelessly out of contention - but most baseball officials expect them to reluctantly come to that conclusion this week and join the forlorn realm known as "the sellers."

That would put into play any number of veteran players, a group that can be roughly defined as everyone not named Ichiro, Beltre or Sexson.

Any number of Mariners pitchers are known to be coveted by contenders, led by Guardado (who has a limited no-trade clause), Jamie Moyer (who has complete veto rights), Ron Villone (who throws with his left hand, and effectively) and Gil Meche (who throws effectively just often enough to convince other teams that they can find the elusive keys to consistency).

Considering that conspicuously available rent-a-player A.J. Burnett (6-6, 3.68 ERA) of the Marlins is setting hearts aflutter across the tightly bunched American League East and beyond, you have to figure that a decorated war horse like Moyer would be a great enticement to a team that feels it's just one starter away. And that's a category that includes just about everyone this side of the Cardinals.

Winn is said to be of particular interest to the Yankees as a center fielder, which just reinforces how poorly poor Bernie Williams plays the position in his dotage. Winn, while a competent left fielder, has never been highly regarded for his work in center. But he remains upright, which is a step forward.

By all accounts, the teams that stand to be aggressive sellers, as in fire-sale time, constitute a smaller group than normal.

Put the Devil Rays in that group, of course (Baez, Aubrey Huff, Julio Lugo, Eduardo Perez), along with the rest of the perennially downtrodden: Colorado (Shawn Chacon, Dustan Mohr, possibly Jason Jennings); Cincinnati (Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, David Weathers, Rich Aurilia, Kent Mercker; also Ken Griffey Jr., who has veto rights but has indicated a willingness to waive them, probably a moot point given his daunting contract); Pittsburgh (Mark Redman, Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, Daryle Ward, Matt Lawton); and Kansas City (Mike Sweeney, Jeremy Affeldt, Mike MacDougal, Matt Stairs, Terrence Long).

The bubble teams, whose ultimate trade stance might depend on how they fare in the next week, are the Mets (who have numerous contract-heavy veterans to dangle, such as Mike Piazza, Mike Cameron, Kaz Matsui and Tom Glavine), Phillies (who have reportedly at least broached the possibility of dealing Jim Thome, though his contract and health make that extremely unlikely), Cleveland (Kevin Millwood and closer Bob Wickman), and Detroit (Jason Johnson, Rondell White).

Others who may be available under the right circumstances: Texas's Alfonso Soriano, Minnesota's J.C. Romero and Kyle Lohse, San Diego's Phil Nevin, San Francisco's Brett Tomko, Florida's Mike Lowell, Baltimore's Jorge Julio, Larry Bigbie and prospect Hayden Penn (the key pieces in the Burnett deal being kicked around), the White Sox's Jose Contreras or Orlando Hernandez and Toronto's Ted Lilly.

The Padres reportedly have a trade for Nevin in place that would bring pitcher Sidney Ponson from Baltimore, but Nevin would have to waive his limited no-trade clause to push the deal through.

The Blue Jays are an intriguing X factor. The Jays were given a $20 million windfall when SkyDome was renamed the Rogers Centre in February - too late to use on free agents. So the money is still available to pick up high-priced talent, if they so choose.

It's one of those hidden factors that could mean everything in the upcoming days. Or not.

FLM: Do you want Burnett? Take Lowell & his $18M/2yr. Sox names: Marte, Contra, Crede, BMac (mix & match)

SFG: Giant scouts following WSox. LHer Eyre interests WSox.

PITT: Redman to FLM to replace Burnett? Perhaps this is where Crede's name has popped up. 3-team-deal?

TBD: LH OF/DH (as if we didn't have enough of them) Huff interests the WSox.

PHI: Wagner interests every contender in the AL because the Phils have Urbina as well. It makes no sense to keep them both. They covet Burnett & will meet his price so see FLM. What would he cost long term? He turned down an extension for $21M/3 last yr. Having served some DL time it might be $16M/2 now.

CIN: Griffey. It's WSox vs NYY$ here, but the NYY$ have s*** to trade with. It's been reported that CIN is prepared to pick up a substantial chunk of his contract which I suspect is the deferred $ they already owe him.

Note: Nevin rejected the BAL trade. I guess that throws them in the mix for Burnett again too.

Update NLE L10: ATL(5-5), WAS(3-7), PHI(6-4) & 3 gb div/wc, METS(6-4), FLM(5-5) & 4.5 gb div/wc.

Update NLW L10: SDP(2-8), AZD(4-6) & 3 gb of div, LAD(5-5), SFG(4-6) & 7.5 gb div.

* When the guys on top look vulnerable your hopes of getting back in soar. That's why teams are reluctant to deal.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Meh, I am not putting any more speculation into these rumors. I will believe nothing until the deal is DONE.

Believing a deal will happen before it does is the wrong way to go. Listen to the rumors, disect them, talk about them, but don't believe until the deal goes down.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Well dang, its quieter out there than a theif in a monastery.  Hmm...

Keeping with the mode of the cliche thread in SL&P .. Is this the calm before the storm?

I just read the Reds are asking for a 3 player pkg with no less than a #3 starter for Dunn. Sheesh! What are they smoking in Cincy?

Likewise Wagner is saying all the right things to get an extension in Philly so he looks to be off the market as well. Nobody seems interested in Eddie G so there must be a reason.

These look to be the two guys most certain to be traded now:

LHRP Scott Eyre, 2-1 with a 2.53 ERA with the Giants

LHRP Ron Villone, 2-3 with a 2.33 ERA for the Mariners

The problem for Kenny is that every contender is a buyer for these guys.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I just read the Reds are asking for a 3 player pkg with no less than a #3 starter for Dunn.  Sheesh!  What are they smoking in Cincy?

I dunno, I guess the market for a low average, high OBP, high strikeout, high homer guy is pretty big right now. I have found that there is no middle ground with Dunn, people either think he is great or dont like him at all(as a player). Im one of the unimpressed. I think his high K rate and low BA outweigh his high OBP, but I think I am in the minority.

The Cubs fans are jonesin' for him bigtime though, they think his high OBP will somehow lead to more runs being scored, but fail to recognize that he is the one to be driving the runs in, not the one to be driven in.

I dunno, I guess the market for a low average, high OBP, high strikeout, high homer guy is pretty big right now. I have found that there is no middle ground with Dunn, people either think he is great or dont like him at all(as a player).  Im one of the unimpressed.  I think his high K rate and low BA outweigh his high OBP, but I think I am in the minority.

The Cubs fans are jonesin' for him bigtime though, they think his high OBP will somehow lead to more runs being scored, but fail to recognize that he is the one to be driving the runs in, not the one to be driven in.

I can see their side of it though. Dunn-Lee-Ramirez makes for a pretty formidable middle of the lineup. But I could never see Cincy trading him to the Cub.

I haven't heard much about Houston. I think they'll pull a major trade off, their three starters are off the charts right now, and with another bat that is a scary team. With Bagwell hurt, a 1b would be perfect. If KC wants to trade Sweeney or Colorado wants to trade Helton, Houston should be all over that... but more realisticly, someone like Darrly Ward would be an upgrade

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
Bruce Levine said the Cubs are after Alfonso Soriano and if they get him, Soriano will play LF.

LMAO, Soriano already said numerous times that he WON'T play LF.

If they thought Dubois was a butcher in LF wait till they get a wiff of Soriano out there, assuming they can somehow convince him to play outfield.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Detroit Radio is reporting the Tigers and Marlins are talking about a deal for Burnett... but the Tigers won't meet the demands of the Marlins wanting Curtis Granderson in the deal.

ha, the Tiger suck.