The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Brown, Tillman, Urlacher, AND Zoom, AND Ogun.

Yes, the Prince is back and healthy. The line should be downright filthy this year. We should finally get to see what Big O can do.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
i know it is, but IAN SCOTT!!?????? WITH 2 MONTHS TIL A MEANINGFUL GAME??? wait, i forgot its the bears, they dont play any meaningful games...............................

on a side not i am a die hard bears fan and by know way does my belittling of them have anything to do with me not being a true fan

I'm with you man. I'd rather have them talking about the Sox. But the fact of the matter is, there is only one football team in town, and at least 95% of the sports fans in this town root for them. And in this town, even seemingly meaningless news is big news when it comes to the Bears. For me personally, I don't start caring about the Bears until the Sox games don't matter any more. Unfortunately for the Bears fan in me, this season it looks like the Bears will have to take a back seat until at least the middle of October.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Has it been mentioned that Burnett is more of a groundball pitcher than Jose over their careers?  Also Burnett is getting groundballs at a great rate this year.

we digress with the bears talk, back to burnett, per jayson stark....this may have been posted already, if it was sorry......

According to an official of one club who has been speaking regularly with Florida GM Larry Beinfest, the Marlins aren't ready to jump at a White Sox package headed by hot pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy for one reason: They wouldn't be getting back an established starter who was ready to beat the Braves, Nationals, Phillies and Mets down the stretch. So either the White Sox would have to expand this deal to include the risky Jose Contreras, or Florida would have to turn around and make a companion deal for another starting pitcher.

QUOTE(Bonkeymutt @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
why the hell do you want a new ss?  uribe is an excellent ss, and a pretty good hitter.  (although he has no patience at the plate).  does anyone else think the team should be left alone?  we're 31 games over .500, what more do you want?!?

Vizquel hits in the 2 hole, Uribe becomes the Joe Crede back insurance at 3rd and Gooch can hit lower in the lineup and become more of the power bat he was in Japan because Vizquel is very capable in the 2 hitters role. That is why you would want a new SS.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
Has it been mentioned that Burnett is more of a groundball pitcher than Jose over their careers?  Also Burnett is getting groundballs at a great rate this year.

You have MLB.tv go back and watch his start yesterday vs. the Giants everything he throws is low in the zone. As long as he keeps the ball down he's going to induce groundballs, which is exactly what you need to do at the cell.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
You have MLB.tv go back and watch his start yesterday vs. the Giants everything he throws is low in the zone. As long as he keeps the ball down he's going to induce groundballs, which is exactly what you need to do at the cell.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Contrary to public opinion there is a limit to what BOS & NYY can spend.

The NYY stand at $209M, & BOS stands at $130M. I think the most Burnett can hope to get is $30M/3 yrs. That's more than Clement got from BOS & he was a more accomplished pitcher.

Cashman is already on record as saying they are not interested in Burnett

so that takes a major player out of the FA equation.

I'm still skeptical on this guy but it's Ozzie's team, the team is 30+ gm over .500, & Ozzie believes in the guy. So what the hell do I know :D

I do not mind losing BMAC because he hasnt really shown any electric stuff when he was up. His fastball has no movement, so it's hittable. BMac you dont really know what you're going to get in a few years, yeah he could be great but he can also be bad. Burnett you pretty much know what you're getting, he's got great stuff, the only thing with him are the injuries. what sounds better:

Buehrle

Garcia

Burnett

Garland

or

Buehrle

Garcia

Bmac

Garland

I don't get that Jayson Stark quote. If they don't want to take the Sox package because they'd need a starter, then why in the hell are they trading a starter away? I know that there's been some issues with Burnett down in FL, but are they really bad enough to move him prior to a run at the division crown? What do the Marlins know that we don't know about AJ?

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:29 AM)
Burnett throwing 98 and having pitching mistakes is like Contreras throwing 98 or Jenks throwing 98 and having pitching mistakes.

The ball just travels farther than if it was thrown 89.

But Burnett can get his breaking ball over more consistently than those guys, which as you should know makes a big difference

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I don't get that Jayson Stark quote.  If they don't want to take the Sox package because they'd need a starter, then why in the hell are they trading a starter away?  I know that there's been some issues with Burnett down in FL, but are they really bad enough to move him prior to a run at the division crown?  What do the Marlins know that we don't know about AJ?

From what I've heard from Marlins fans who live in Florida and follow the Marlins as closely as I follow the Sox this is the rap on AJ:

*He loves his teammates, especially Pavano (who is now gone). But he's always had a good repour with the players on the team, he's the clubhouse prankster.

*He doesn't get along with the current coaching staff especially Jack McKeon.

*He doesn't get along with the current front office.

*He and the fans do not have a great relationship. Sort of how Cubs fans should be acting toward Kerry Wood.

robinventura23 reported that levine threw out numbers on a deal the sox were working on for burnett 3yr/30 mil. at abotu 5:15. i flipped on the radio since he posted it and ive heard nothing. seriously guys if you are just posting s*** to get a rise out of everyone on this board, id kick you in the nuts harder than that chick in southsideirish71s avatar

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
robinventura23 reported that levine threw out numbers on a deal the sox were working on for burnett 3yr/30 mil. at abotu 5:15. i flipped on the radio since he posted it and ive heard nothing. seriously guys if you are just posting s*** to get a rise out of everyone on this board, id kick you in the nuts harder than that chick in southsideirish71s avatar

But for daa84's point of reference.

kickedinthejimmy.gif

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)

Bobby Jenks?

QUOTE(Pods70Rowand33 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I heard it on 1000 too, so they're not lieing. they've just been talking about football

ok, thanks, robinventura23 i apologize, im just tired of people falsely reporting, or exaggerating posts of stuff they hear on the radio

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
ok, thanks, robinventura23 i apologize, im just tired of people falsely reporting, or exaggerating posts of stuff they hear on the radio

:cheers

Again, this Bruce Levine. So, take FWIW.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Gammons on Sportscenter said FLA keeps winning AJ Burnett will NOT be traded.

Peter Gammons knows nothing except for Boston s***. He seems to be never right.

If we are really talking contract with AJ Burnett then a deal has already been agreed to and we are just trying to lock him up for further years.

Don't listen to Peter Gammons. He is a big jamoke.