Shingo News

Whitesox4ever

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
I was actually kind of hoping he would sign a minor league deal to stay with the Sox and maybe work some of his problems out in the minors and maybe come back to the big club sometime or another....

The Sox woudln't of had to do that. I think they knew they weren't going to use Shingo and wanted to give him a shot to catch on somewhere else. Shingo had all his options left so they could of sent him to the minors.

Instead they designated him for assignement and removed him from the 40 (opening up a roster spot).

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Could you imagine if Shingo signed with the Cubs, became their closer, and delivered them the wildcard?

Wow thats a bad thought...

Dempster's 14 for 14 in save opps, the Cubs are looking for bullpen help but if they picked up Shingo he wouldn't close.

He has no options. That's why he was designated for assignment.

It's up to Shingo if he's not traded. He can accept assignment to Charlotte & keep his pay or he can opt for FA & lose his pay. The only way he avoids Charlotte & keeps his pay is if the WSox choose to simply release him.

My guess is that he will opt for Charlotte. Why? Because then he can be called up in Sept when the roster expands.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
He has no options.  That's why he was designated for assignment.

It's up to Shingo if he's not traded.  He can accept assignment to Charlotte & keep his pay or he can opt for FA & lose his pay.  The only way he avoids Charlotte & keeps his pay is if the WSox choose to simply release him.

My guess is that he will opt for Charlotte.  Why?  Because then he can be called up in Sept when the roster expands.

Why would he have no options?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Options are inherited from minor league contracts so free agents who have never signed a minor league contract are not eligible.  The option is associated with the player & not the team.

Gotcha..thanks for that info Juggs.

i have a feeling he will stay with the sox in the minors. The reasoning is because i'm not sure if there is a market for him because everyone wants all of the sexy names on the market like Mesa, Wagner, and Baez. Especially if the Burnett trade is made, than KW will probably tell him stay with the organazation and you might have a good shot of making the team in September or earlier. JMO.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
Dempster's 14 for 14 in save opps, the Cubs are looking for bullpen help but if they picked up Shingo he wouldn't close.

they won't because they are falling out of it quickly. Plus you are talking about the same GM that thought joe borowski would be a better solution than Dustin Hermanson.