Aubrey Huff

VAfan

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Who are we really competing for with respect to Huff?  Boston?

I don't think so.  You think if Boston isn't able to unload Manny Ramirez that they are still shopping their best prospects to TB for Aubrey Huff?  Is anyone else in the Huff market? 

Either TB is going to come down in price for Huff, or they are going to end up keeping him.  Both results would be fine would me.

Tampa supposedly likes Boston's offer for Huff more than they do the White Sox offer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Maybe it's just me, but I don't watch McCarthy pitch and think "wow, this guy has amazing upside".  And yes, I think if McDowell pitched in the Cell with the way the ball carries now, he would have had a lot of problems keeping the ball in the park.

Ok. I can't take it anymore. Do y'all remember when there were actually threads about whether you would rather win a world series or hold on to BMAC? I called this back before he ever started a major league game. A prospect is a prospect. Can you imagine asking the same question now? He will still probably be very good, but he is not Roger Clemens. Let's win now and everytime BMAC comes back to haunt us, I can look at a Sox world series poster or something. I would trade him for Aubrey Huff, absolutely. Aubrey Huff would start EVERY game of the playoffs, not just the first.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
Who are we really competing for with respect to Huff?  Boston?

I don't think so.  You think if Boston isn't able to unload Manny Ramirez that they are still shopping their best prospects to TB for Aubrey Huff?  Is anyone else in the Huff market? 

Either TB is going to come down in price for Huff, or they are going to end up keeping him.  Both results would be fine would me.

There's a good chance Trot Nixon is out for the year. Boston wants Huff, and according to BP, Tampa likes their package for him better than what the White Sox were offering for him at least as of about midnight. Maybe the fact that they are in the same division may sway them to KW's offer.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Ok. I can't take it anymore. Do y'all remember when there were actually threads about whether you would rather win a world series or hold on to BMAC? I  called this back before he ever started a major league game. A prospect is a prospect. Can you imagine asking the same question now? He will still probably be very good, but he is not Roger Clemens. Let's win now and everytime BMAC comes back to haunt us, I can look at a Sox world series poster or something. I would trade him for Aubrey Huff, absolutely. Aubrey Huff would start EVERY game of the playoffs, not just the first.

I couldn't resist patting myself on the back.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
Ok. I can't take it anymore. Do y'all remember when there were actually threads about whether you would rather win a world series or hold on to BMAC? I  called this back before he ever started a major league game. A prospect is a prospect. Can you imagine asking the same question now? He will still probably be very good, but he is not Roger Clemens. Let's win now and everytime BMAC comes back to haunt us, I can look at a Sox world series poster or something. I would trade him for Aubrey Huff, absolutely. Aubrey Huff would start EVERY game of the playoffs, not just the first.

McCarthy's trade value will never be higher than it is right now.

This move is for this year and beyond.

You get Huff who is a good young left handed hitter. He is at a good price right now. You replace Konerko who is a myopic pull only power hitter. Huff hits for average, he has a few 300 seasons and has started slowly this year. He is back up to .270. Project more power here at the Cell over the 65 degree juicebox.

Huff is also a BoSox killer. His splits against the bosox are great. He would be an asset in the post season.

I like Brandon as much as the next guy. He possibly a great future. But we went through this same crap last year. We were trading away the next Irod, who was traded again after spending a good amount of time in the minors this year. We traded the next Mark Kotsay who has been a good fielding but hasnt clicked with the bat yet. And also a throw in Morse who seems to be the best stick out of that bunch with no glove. I would trade McCarthy for Huff.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Leave Soxtalk.

Please.

Just Leave.

Asking nicely.

...do us all the favor and play MVP baseball from now until 3:00 CT.  It's a magical fantasy world in which you can trade for whomever you wish!

It's a real Candyland...of the mind, the mind.

this whole thread is cracking me up. All over Brian Mcarthy. Unreal. People love the triple A players more than there own team. Addison,Milkman, on behalf of Jim and I thanks for being real. Its actually refreshing.

It's okay VAfan, you got to remember it's that time of the month for some people here. I agree with the others that you have started numerous topics about not trading McCarthy, but I think you have a very valid point this time. Trading for Huff would no doubt help in the playoffs, but if we were to make the World Series, how much does he truly help? He can potentialy DH a possible 4 home games, and for the away games he would have to replace one of our other starter players, where his defense wouldn't be nearly as good as the starter. Is it worth trading McCarthy for? That's an extremely tough call, but I know when McCarthy does become a great pitcher within the next two years, a lot of people will be b****ing about trading him. If Kenny is to trade McCarthy for Huff, then he has to be certain that a very, very good left-handed bat is our biggest need for the playoffs.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Why don't you answer the question of the thread?  Would you trade McCarthy for Huff?  Would you start Huff ahead of one of the 5 guys I mentioned?

yes and yes, what are you 10 years old? How many threads does it take to get points across. In your many years following baseball how qualified are you to provide insight on how good Mcarthy would be? You don't know, its a crap shoot and thats the point. In addition when you build for a contender you build for injuries and matchups in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
There's a good chance Trot Nixon is out for the year. Boston wants Huff, and according to BP, Tampa likes their package for him better than what the White Sox were offering for him at least as of about midnight. Maybe the fact that they are in the same division may sway them to KW's offer.

I just read the report. Nixon has a strained oblique muscle. That doesn't sound like out for the year to me. Plus they just added Jose Cruz Jr, suggesting they are looking stop gap, not long term.

And the prospects TB was getting when Manny was part of the deal included Anibel Sanchez, a AA pitcher who seemed a lot more like Gio (who I would give up) than McCarthy.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
yes and yes, what are you 10 years old? How many threads does it take to get points across. In your many years following baseball how qualified are you to provide insight on how good Mcarthy would be? You don't know, its a crap shoot and thats the point. In addition when you build for a contender you build for injuries and matchups in the playoffs.

Can't you make a post without trying to personally insult me?

Stick to the merits. It is a crap shoot. But no one that is against my point has articulated a plan for how we are going to keep our starting pitching at the top of the game over the next 3 years. Yet you would all agree, I bet, that starting pitching is the reason we have the best record in baseball.

this thread blows, I am done with it. Because of this htread I sincerely hope they trade mcarthy just so we can end this bulls***. Mcarthy could turn out to be a bust. Nobody knows, win the pennant and the world series, I really don't care what players we have when we do that, I do not care about next year.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
I just read the report.  Nixon has a strained oblique muscle.  That doesn't sound like out for the year to me.  Plus they just added Jose Cruz Jr, suggesting they are looking stop gap, not long term. 

And the prospects TB was getting when Manny was part of the deal included Anibel Sanchez, a AA pitcher who seemed a lot more like Gio (who I would give up) than McCarthy.

Funny enough I put my trust in KW. They pay him a good amount of money to do this for a living. If he trades BMAC for Huff, maybe its a good idea. I know we all become attached to certain players. But if they trade them you move on. This is not 1930 where a player stays with a team forever. You have to move on and find allegiance with another player on the team.

I liked Maggs, he was my type of hitter. I have moved on. If they trade Jenks, I will get over it and move on. I am a Whitesox fan first.

KW does things that will help the team and are about winning. Everyone was bent all out of shape at losing Reed last year. I remember all the freakin away Freddy Splits and how freddy is garbage. Well Freddy has turned out fine.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)

Stick to the merits.  It is a crap shoot.  But no one that is against my point has articulated a plan for how we are going to keep our starting pitching at the top of the game over the next 3 years.  Yet you would all agree, I bet, that starting pitching is the reason we have the best record in baseball.

VA- I don't care about the next three years. I will leave that to KW. Not my problem. As far as attacking you, I will apologize.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
this whole thread is cracking me up. All over Brian Mcarthy. Unreal. People love the triple A players more than there own team. Addison,Milkman, on  behalf of Jim and I thanks for being real. Its actually refreshing.

No quickman, this thread is against trading Brandon McCarthy. You can trade Brian, im sure VAfan doesnt mind. ;)

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)

Stick to the merits.  It is a crap shoot.  But no one that is against my point has articulated a plan for how we are going to keep our starting pitching at the top of the game over the next 3 years.  Yet you would all agree, I bet, that starting pitching is the reason we have the best record in baseball.

How would the staff that you would have planned for 3 years ago, looked compared to the staff that is in place? You can't project 90% of pitchers that far into the future.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Yet you would all agree, I bet, that starting pitching is the reason we have the best record in baseball.

Well did you know the starting pitching that got us here will all be here next year? If we can add Huff (30/100 guy from the left side) without losing any of them, I'd call it a wise moving heading into the playoffs. We will always have offseasons to address pitching needs in the future. Please stop worrying about how awesome McCarthy will be in 2007 and whether or not Billy Beane would approve of our methods.

Whoever misinterpreted VAfan saying that they could get less for Huff than McCarthy is a pretty ignorant poster.

VAfan simply said that he doesn't want to trade McCarthy for Huff, not that they could get him for Arnie Munoz. Some people need to take a chill pill before they all look like complete retards.

I mean, please, asking someone to leave a message board for this? How 5th grade is that?

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
It's okay VAfan, you got to remember it's that time of the month for some people here.  I agree with the others that you have started numerous topics about not trading McCarthy, but I think you have a very valid point this time.  Trading for Huff would no doubt help in the playoffs, but if we were to make the World Series, how much does he truly help?  He can potentialy DH a possible 4 home games, and for the away games he would have to replace one of our other starter players, where his defense wouldn't be nearly as good as the starter.  Is it worth trading McCarthy for?  That's an extremely tough call, but I know when McCarthy does become a great pitcher within the next two years, a lot of people will be b****ing about trading him.  If Kenny is to trade McCarthy for Huff, then he has to be certain that a very, very good left-handed bat is our biggest need for the playoffs.

Thanks.

And to think I'm getting ripped even though I posted that I wanted Huff before any of the guys who are ripping me posted on this subject.

Here's my June 1 post. http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=34574&hl=huff

Anyone who is ripping me about Huff is challenged to offer a post earlier than this one saying the Sox should trade for him.

Thanks. 

And to think I'm getting ripped even though I posted that I wanted Huff before any of the guys who are ripping me posted on this subject. 

Here's my June 1 post.  http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=34574&hl=huff

Anyone who is ripping me about Huff is challenged to offer a post earlier than this one saying the Sox should trade for him.

Just to clarify, I think the ripping has come from the numerous posts about not trading McCarthy. Lots of people here would like Huff, you and me included, but this is not a contest to see who posted what first. Huff has been a desireable commodity since he came into the league.

Edited by JimH