White Sox Acquire Blum

AddisonStSox

Got this off the ESPN Padres website.........Scouting Report

2004 Season

The Devil Rays acquired Geoff Blum from Houston thinking that he was a utility infielder who was only an opportunity away from becoming an everyday third baseman. Instead, he struggled from the start of spring training, never made the adjustment to the AL, and went on to have the worst season of his pro career.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Blum's strength had been consistency. But he was so lost at the left side of the plate and his mechanics were so off that he actually hit much better righthanded in 2004. The more he struggled, the more frustrated he got and the more often he got himself out chasing bad pitches. Blum has smooth hands and moves well enough for a big guy that he can still be an asset defensively, though he looks more comfortable at third than second, shortstop or in the outfield. While Blum isn't fast, he is a solid baserunner.

2005 Outlook

The Rays weren't going to pay Blum in excess of $1 million to be a backup again, so he headed back to the National League by signing a one-year deal with San Diego. He will assume the role of a versatile and valuable utilityman.

He is making $575,000 this year....but I guess he is a free agent after this year? If someone could help me clarify if this is the case or if he is arbitration eligible or what not it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
If we get Huff then both Willie and Gload are for sure gone...

Ohh that would be so great... I hope we can get rid of both of them...

Gload is gone if we get Huff and that also probably spells the end for Kong after this year

I don't know about all that "Ozzie doesn't like Gload" talk, if I remember correctly Ozzie loved that kid Gload in spring training of 04. Unless something went sour I don't think its Ozzie who doesn't like Gload.

Totally agree, I think it's a bunch of conspiracy theory BS.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Isn't Meaux the guy the Sox traded a year or two ago and then got him back this year via waivers or rule 5 or something.  If so, Blum for someone off of waivers is pretty good.

That was Ryan Wing, who was lost to the Rangers via rule 5 and then picked back up this year off waivers. He was supposed to be really good but had an injury early in his minor league campaign similar to Kris Honel.

All I know is that the thought of getting rid of Gload and Harris and getting Huff and Blum makes me all tingly inside...

Add Lugo to that to be our new starting SS and i'd just drool.... That gets Timo off the roster too and Uribe as a super sub...

Ohh what a dream...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
I'd rather have Uribe then Lugo.

Thats the whole point... We still have Uribe on the bench....

It would make Huff and Everett the DH/ backup COF's with Huff splitting time at 1B... Blum playing just about everywhere, Uribe Spelling the IF, Ozuna spelling the OF/MIF... and best part is no more Timo, Gload, Willie.....

In the words of Hawk.... YES!!!!

Sorry but this is just the deal I want to see happen...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)

It would make Huff and Everett the DH/ backup COF's with Huff splitting time at 1B... Blum playing just about everywhere, Uribe Spelling the IF, Ozuna spelling the OF/MIF... and best part is no more Timo, Gload, Willie.....

The team's built on pitching and defense. Lugo would mess that up in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)

I'd rather have Juan starting as shortstop then Lugo, Julio's a butcher in the field.

i saw saying a while back we should get mike lamb because hed be the perfect fit, blum and lamb are similar so i think this was a good move by KW, and i dont think we are going to re-trade him to someone else, especially not back to TB where he once was in his career

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
Didn't Kenny give a whole spiel about not trading for someone unless they're a special player (for chemistry reasons, of course)? Is Geoff Blum is a special player?

Well, we didn't have a back-up 3b....so he fits what this team needed.