Harris and Gload

Dick Allen

QUOTE(jamslam @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Gload is 2 years away and Harris blows, sure let's put adkins in the pen

2 years away from what, getting a senior citizen discount at Denny's?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Bajenaru's ERA is over 4 f***ING RUNS LESS THAN ADKINS could it? :headshake

1.18 or 1.98??? Im not sure which....still WAAAY better than Adkins...

Adkins is up because he fills a specific role which is innings eater in blowout or injury situations in order to let guys like Viz,Cotts, Politte, and Marte pitch an inning then get out. Everyone better start realizing this is how a smart team prepares for the post season. When pitching is your strength , you better keep your arms fresh. The Sox will only go as far as their pitching takes them.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Why, because he posts here and you guys kiss his ass constantly?

I think Rex said it best in one post way back. Baj is just one hell of a a guy who deserves a chance. He leaves an impression on anyone he talks to but unfortunately he doesn't fit into a role that the Sox feel they need. That being said, on a lot of other squads he'd be in the majors.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
For the last time, Adkins is up because he has MLB expierence in the midst of a pennant chase.  You do not want two rookie arms in your bullpen when you are trying to clinch an AL pennant.

uh, see Rodriguez, Francisco - 2002 Angels. Thank you.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
uh, see Rodriguez, Francisco - 2002 Angels.  Thank you.

Baj doesn't have that electric stuff though. Not say Adkins does, but it's not fair to compare K-Rod and Baj like that.

I think the demotion of Gload definitely highlights one area that Kenny Williams will look to upgrade during August, and that's the lefty hitter - I think Adkins is, more or less, filling a roster spot (and will be much needed) until Williams can add another hitter. Come September 1st, Adkins will be back.....

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
Adkins is up because he fills a specific role which is innings eater in blowout or injury situations in order to let guys like Viz,Cotts, Politte, and Marte pitch an inning then get out. Everyone better start realizing this is how a smart team prepares for the post season. When pitching is your strength , you better keep your arms fresh. The Sox will only go as far as their pitching takes them.

Ok, fine.

Arnie Munoz can eat innings. And he has a reason to be called up. He's actually, uhh, succeeding at AAA. As opposed to a 5.8 -- or whatever -- ERA that Adkins has.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
Ok, fine.

Arnie Munoz can eat innings.  And he has a reason to be called up.  He's actually, uhh, succeeding at AAA.  As opposed to a 5.8 -- or whatever -- ERA that Adkins has.

Decisions are not just made on minor league numbers. Adkins has more experience in the majors and Ozzie was very impressed with the job Adkins did last year IIRC.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
Decisions are not just made on minor league numbers. Adkins has more experience in the majors and Ozzie was very impressed with the job Adkins did last year IIRC.

He did Ok last year. 4.65 ERA or so. When he finally was given innings that meant something down the stretch, when Politte was hurt, he was garbage.

And, major league experience -- that did Kevin Walker real well, huh?

He's not very good at all. I guess his ERA will come down from 5.80 or whatever, and he'll suddenly start fooling hitters.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
I think what most of you are forgetting is those terrible AAA numbers are from him being used as a starter pretty much exclusively....

He will be in the pen here...

Besides seeing Harris and Gload on the way to Charlotte was like a wonderful dream come true....

So, him being a starter is the reason he's giving up a homer every SIX innings?

Or that he's only striking out about six guys per nine?

He doesn't have good stuff. And, look for yourself, he's had one good year in his professional career -- 2000. Then he had a couple of decent years with Charlotte. He's just not that good.

Wee Willie quotes

"If you really look at it, our second baseman is signed for a couple of years," a somewhat defiant Harris explained. "So, I guess it might be pretty much over.

"But you never know. Anything can happen. I'm going to stay positive and one thing I can say is this isn't the last of me because I'm going to Triple-A. Somebody had to go. So, go down there and get your work in, but it's definitely not the last of Willie Harris."

I love third person.

Wee Willie