ESPN Insider - Griffey Interest

SkokieSox

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His kind of town?

Aug 4 - The White Sox are still in hot pursuit of the Reds' Ken Griffey Jr., the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Chicago reportedly had been trying to land the 35-year-old center fielder before the non-waiver deadline.

According to The Chicago Tribune, Griffey is owed $12.5 million each year through 2008. The Reds hold a $16.5 million option or $4 million buyout for 2009.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
FWIW, GEorge Offman said this AM that 3 sources confirmed that a Griffey trade was in the works, with Griffey agreeing to waive his no-trade to the sox

Hold on. Did Offman mean that a trade was in the works as in a few weeks ago before the deadline, or was in the works as in right now?

It seems that everyone thinks you mean it's going on right now.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Has he passed waivers?

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
and once again, i'll get my hopes up

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
:pray You gave my stomache butterflies

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
ugh enough with geroge freaking offman and his so called sources. the guy is a fake, and steals info from bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce and others

Youd be stupid to steal the info from bruce there all false.

Is there still actually a possibility he might end up here? I have read some conflicting post saying the KGJ would approve a move to Chicago and then some that KGJ would rather stay close to home.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
im sure by now griffey has cleared through nl waivers at least

but what do i know

No, it dosent work like that the person is on waivers for 3 buisness days teams make claims not knowing if other teams have. Then after 3 buisness days the team lowest in the standing gets the player or trades for the player or the team pulls him off them. Its not offered team by team.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Hold on.  Did Offman mean that a trade was in the works as in a few weeks ago before the deadline, or was in the works as in right now?

It seems that everyone thinks you mean it's going on right now.

My bad. I should have put "the trade" was in the works, before the deadline. Didn't say the Sox were still pursuing Griffey

Edited by beck72