Official game thread for August 10th

Ishmookie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
I wonder if Pods is going to start pressing soon and change his swing.  I mean, he hit 12 HRs last year.  He has power.

We may be in the minority, but there are times when it appears that Pods is lost at the plate. I don't see good swings at the ball and he takes a lot of strikes. Yes, the demon has speed, but he has gotten thrown out more recently. I am hoping he is just in a slump and will come out of it soon. But, I would like to see more aggressiveness with the lumber and a bit more power even if it's just doubles.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Well the point of this game is to "Score" more runs than the opposition.

Just in case you didnt know.

Which means it is better to be winning 2-1 than losing 10-7. And when it comes to the "point" of the game we have won 73 times, which is truely all that matters.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Which means it is better to be winning 2-1 than losing 10-7.  And when it comes to the "point" of the game we have won 73 times, which is truely all that matters.

And that Paul Slownerko sucks.. don't forget about that.

Bottom 5TH B:2 S:1 O:1

Tony Womack grounds out, first baseman Paul Konerko to pitcher Freddy Garcia.

Bottom 5TH B:2 S:3 O:2

Derek Jeter strikes out swinging.

Robinson Cano grounds out, second baseman Pablo Ozuna to first baseman Paul Konerko.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
When the One Dog and Ray Durham and Tim Raines were leading off, they all scored 100+ runs a season. Its not his fault he doesn't score all the time, although he could hit a homer every now and then. I think its a flaw in the smallball or smartball philosophy.  I always agreed that stolen bases were undervalued, but I'm beginning to agree with the Billy Beane guys that they are overvalued. Pods isn't even in the top 50 for runs scored, and considering how many times he has been caught stealing and picked off where it was not ruled a caught stealing, his OBP is distorted. In reality it should be about 40 or 50 points lower.

I just hope that he doesn't get a big fat contract in the off-season.

I'm Ok with him as our leadoff man, but at the right price.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
took freddy until the 5th to find his groove.

IMO this was a huge start for Fred. I really thought he was getting out of a lot of jams because it was KC and the like, but hey, no earned runs yet, good job

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
We've sure done that a few times this year now haven't we?

I forget our offense is fine. You are the one who was talking about how great this pitcher is and that pitcher is when they shut out the sox only to watch them get destroyed by their next opponent.

I am sure Aaron Small is Randy Johnson version II, but I think our offense should be able to hit him.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Uribe has absolutely NO plan going to the plate other than swinging at every pitch.

After last year's display I have to admit Uribe this year has been a tremendous let down. He pulls off everything. I remember reading lst year that Uribe was a hard headed player when it came to Walker trying to get him to do things a but different at the plate. When he listened he was really good and when he didn't we got what we have now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
When the One Dog and Ray Durham and Tim Raines were leading off, they all scored 100+ runs a season. Its not his fault he doesn't score all the time, although he could hit a homer every now and then. I think its a flaw in the smallball or smartball philosophy.  I always agreed that stolen bases were undervalued, but I'm beginning to agree with the Billy Beane guys that they are overvalued. Pods isn't even in the top 50 for runs scored, and considering how many times he has been caught stealing and picked off where it was not ruled a caught stealing, his OBP is distorted. In reality it should be about 40 or 50 points lower.

FWIW our #1 hitters (almost always Pods) are number 14 in the league in runs scored. Definitely not bad