Paulie...... Team Captain?

TheBigHurt

I believe it was either yesterday or 2 games ago, Hawk and DJ got an email asking about who is the team captain. Hawk said Paulie would be. Now I always can put aside my difference of attitude and opinion with a player becuase I'm a loyal Sox fan. But given Konerko's past, I can't really see him as the "captain." IMO Buehrle would be the perfect fit for that. What is everyone else's take on this?

You don't just name a captain (Jeter, V-tek, Sweeney) a player first becomes a captain by their attitude and the way they handle things in the clubhouse. If the players look up to Konerko and see him as a captain then he is a captian. We don't really know what goes on in the clubhouse, we only get small samples from the media, which a lot of the time mean nothing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
You don't just name a captain (Jeter, V-tek, Sweeney) a player first becomes a captain by their attitude and the way they handle things in the clubhouse. If the players look up to Konerko and see him as a captain then he is a captian. We don't really know what goes on in the clubhouse, we only get small samples from the media, which a lot of the time mean nothing.

Be careful, you're making sense. :P

Right now, Ozzie Guillen is the leader of this team, he's the captain, and there's really no reason for another one. Ozzie's still young and is still so close to his players that the players really don't strike me as having any need of a captian.

In NY or Boston, you have Torre and Francona as managers. Yeah, I'm sure people like them, but you can't tell me that Torre has the same sort of relationship with his players that Ozzie has with his. That's why they have a captain...it's a guy on the team to look up to and lead, and occasionally deal with the coaching staff if needbe. The Sox don't strike me as having any special need for that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Ozzie comments to the Trib yesterday really make it sound like he thinks Konerko is the leader of this team.

Outside of Frank, Konerko's been with the team the longest. So I can see why he can be portrayed as a captain. I'm sure longevity played a role in Ozzie and Pudge being co-captains of the 1990 team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Right now, Ozzie Guillen is the leader of this team, he's the captain, and there's really no reason for another one.  Ozzie's still young and is still so close to his players that the players really don't strike me as having any need of a captian.

In NY or Boston, you have Torre and Francona as managers.  Yeah, I'm sure people like them, but you can't tell me that Torre has the same sort of relationship with his players that Ozzie has with his.  That's why they have a captain...it's a guy on the team to look up to and lead, and occasionally deal with the coaching staff if needbe.  The Sox don't strike me as having any special need for that.

I totally agree, I didnt even think about that. On the field it should be AJ though, he is the field general.

paulie's been here for a long time. i'd give it to him too.

buehrle's the only other guy i'd think about giving it to.

think about it - Jeter has been a yankee his whole career, Sweeney - Royals. they're names that go with their team. thomas was ours but he's not anymore. Paulies the closest we have to that.