Griffey Rumor

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
Well, f*** the Reds.  Maybe they should take a look at the standings before putting up an article about another team losing.

LOL, you need to get a grip buddy. it said as the sox keep losing. implying, as they continue to struggle(WHICH THEY ARE) they need to find something to help them out. which is true. i see the sox doing exactly what the m's did that one year. be unbelievable in the reg season, do nothing as far as trades, then come playoffs, DUD. i hate to say it, cause i would like to see the sox do well, but thats just the way it looks. right now, i would take the red sox and a's over the white sox, and i think they would have to play one of those 2 teams in the playoffs. if they get someone else, they got a good shot

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
LOL,  you need to get a grip buddy.  it said as the sox keep losing.  implying, as they continue to struggle(WHICH THEY ARE) they need to find something to help them out.  which is true.  i see the sox doing exactly what the m's did that one year.  be unbelievable in the reg season, do nothing as far as trades, then come playoffs, DUD.  i hate to say it, cause i would like to see the sox do well, but thats just the way it looks.  right now, i would take the red sox and a's over the white sox, and i think they would have to play one of those 2 teams in the playoffs.  if they get someone else, they got a good shot

Yeah, they've sure been struggling this week.

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
LOL,  you need to get a grip buddy.  it said as the sox keep losing.  implying, as they continue to struggle(WHICH THEY ARE) they need to find something to help them out.  which is true.  i see the sox doing exactly what the m's did that one year.  be unbelievable in the reg season, do nothing as far as trades, then come playoffs, DUD.  i hate to say it, cause i would like to see the sox do well, but thats just the way it looks.  right now, i would take the red sox and a's over the white sox, and i think they would have to play one of those 2 teams in the playoffs.  if they get someone else, they got a good shot

The Sox offense could use a shot in the arm, but it's comical to get that pity quote from the Reds. Talk about making moves -- Eric Milton, the 2-word walking punchline.

I'm just sick of the damn rumor. No Griffey, fine. Get another bat. I'm sick of getting my hopes up and getting disappointed. Oh yea, GET IT STRAIGHT LEVINE! I can't wait until September 1. If I was smart, I'd avoid this whole damn trade winds section. Good night! I'll be back in the morning to get my hopes up again.

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/content...dsnotes_tc.html

One radio station said the trade was done, and all it needed was the center fielder's approval, as is necessary.

What else is there to talk about on a rainy day when your team is in the tank, losing six of its last 10 and watching its American League Central lead shrivel from 14 games to eight?

When Reds manager Jerry Narron heard the report that the temperature is up in Chicago, he smiled and said, "I'll bet it is."

Of course, he meant the heat is on White Sox management to put a tourniquet on the wounds because of the losing and because Griffey is unstitching baseballs every day.

It is true that the White Sox are turning up the heat. They called the Reds again this week, begging for a mercy trade to save them. Again they were rebuffed, even though they offered to take on more of Griffey's salary.

Griffey saw the media approach him Saturday afternoon, held up his hands and said without being asked, "I'm not going to Chicago. I'm in Pittsburgh with the Cincinnati Reds, and that's where I'm staying."

Asked how he knew the question, he said, "The only time you guys make a bee-line to me these days is to ask about a trade or if I'm Star of the Game."

As usual, Griffey treated it with humor.

"I'm not talking about this without the presence of my attorney," he said with a laugh. "The ball club has not made a formal offer to me, so there is nothing to say. Will I accept a trade? I haven't talked to anybody on the club about it."

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Well, as much as I hate to say it, Griffey to the Sox ain't happening'. As for that crack from the Reds, well, what else would expect out of 'the Big Dead Machine'?

I wonder why they call Cinci 'the Queen City'. :huh

They called the Reds again this week, begging for a mercy trade to save them. Again they were rebuffed, even though they offered to take on more of Griffey's salary.

Griffey saw the media approach him Saturday afternoon, held up his hands and said without being asked...

:lol: :lol: Good Lord, how desperate is Cincinnati for something epic. This guy's watched The Godfather too many times. Maybe KW kissed O'Brien's hand too? Oh Don Corleobrien...

Griffey would help, but wow, is this writer having fun w/ this.

Griffey says he hasn't talked to anyone with the Reds about a trade. Levine said Griffey told the Sox he was flattered but wanted to stay in Cincinatti. Levine said a week or so ago the Sox and Konerko were close on an extension, the Tribune has an article about Konerko's contract status and it said no negotiations have or will occur until the season is over. Levine said the Sox and Cubs would do nothing at the trade deadline. They were not earth shattering deals, but both teams made moves. Levine said there was no chance Freddy Garcia would sign an extension with the Sox, because he wanted to test free agency. He signed an extension a couple days later. Levine said he would stake his reputation on the Sox signing Omar Vizquel. Vizquel signed with San Francisco. Levine reported AJ Burnett to the Sox was pretty much a done deal. The teams were never close. I have no idea why a station would actually pay this guy money to be an "insider". He is a joke. I would like to propose a ban on Bruce Levine information, unless it is also being reported somewhere else. He is far too inaccurate.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Griffey says he hasn't talked to anyone with the Reds about a trade. Levine said Griffey told the Sox he was flattered but wanted to stay in Cincinatti. Levine said a week or so ago the Sox and Konerko were close on an extension, the Tribune has an article about Konerko's contract status and it said no negotiations have or will occur until the season is over. Levine said the Sox and Cubs would do nothing at the trade deadline. They were not earth shattering deals, but both teams made moves. Levine said there was no chance Freddy Garcia would sign an extension with the Sox, because he wanted to test free agency. He signed an extension a couple days later. Levine said he would stake his reputation on the Sox signing Omar Vizquel. Vizquel signed with San Francisco. Levine reported AJ Burnett to the Sox was pretty much a done deal. The teams were never close. I have no idea why a station would actually pay this guy money to be an "insider". He is a joke. I would like to propose a ban on Bruce Levine information, unless it is also being reported somewhere else. He is far too inaccurate.

FWIW, I would have staked my reputation on the Sox signing Vizquel because it almost happened. As of the Friday night before, Vizquel told a friend of mine that he was going to sign with the Sox because he didn't think SF would give him the 3rd year he wanted. By Sunday, SF changed their tune and it was done.

Things change.... guys like Levine can either take chances and report what is going on and trust the information they are getting, or sit back and wait until everyone else reports it and be the last guy on it. Journalists won't let that happen. They want the story, they want to be first. It's the nature of the beast.

Writers can write what they want. I think this guy and the comments by the manager are a bit smug. First off, the Reds are terrible and there management is even worse. Second and most importantly the reason the Sox are pursuing agressively is because the Sept 1 deadline is looming. Its not because of the past week. We need to get a bat in for the playoff roster. I think cinci needs to stay concerned about there backyard and not comment negatively on a first place team with a 9 game lead (11 in the loss column)

Ahh, here is my slight glimmer of hope.

"The ball club has not made a formal offer to me, so there is nothing to say. Will I accept a trade? I haven't talked to anybody on the club about it."

Why not just say that he is not going anywhere period. He could say, I plan to finish the season as a Red. He could say that he plans to finish is career as a Red. But no, he leaves the door open for more rumors by saying that. I'd love to hear a rumor about someone else for a change.

I wonder how much more they offered to take on. They had asked the Reds to pick up $15 of the $23M owed to KGJ by 2009. I've said enough about the deferred $ already. If they upped their anty to where they were asking the Reds to just pick up the deferred $ then Linder's an idiot. The chances of KGJ staying healthy & playing CF for the Reds over those 3 yrs is slim at best.

If it's something less than that Linder should at least be thinking about it.

We have 3 1/2 more days and think back a month ago, to July 28. Look at all the flip flops between 7/28 and 7/31. Trades surfaced out of nowhere, "done deals" fell by the wayside. As Rex said, it's the nature of the beast.

I would bet some of these teams with desireable players are playing their cards close to the vest. What's status quo today might not be by Wednesday. As fans we can't stand it but that's the way it goes.

As for Levine, most of his sources are agents, he's very tight with several. Agents fudge the truth, so do GM's and organizational people. If we keep remembering Bruce Levine is media and media is very often wrong, it's not a big deal. I don't think Levine is intentionally reporting false information.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
Ahh, here is my slight glimmer of hope. 

Why not just say that he is not going anywhere period.  He could say, I plan to finish the season as a Red.  He could say that he plans to finish is career as a Red.  But no, he leaves the door open for more rumors by saying that.  I'd love to hear a rumor about someone else for a change.

Yeah, I caught the same thing. Good enough for me. Give me anything to hold onto and I will. We need this.

We have 3 1/2 more days and think back a month ago, to July 28.  Look at all the flip flops between 7/28 and 7/31.  Trades surfaced out of nowhere, "done deals" fell by the wayside.  As Rex said, it's the nature of the beast.

I would bet some of these teams with desireable players are playing their cards close to the vest.  What's status quo today might not be by Wednesday.  As fans we can't stand it but that's the way it goes.

As for Levine, most of his sources are agents, he's very tight with several.  Agents fudge the truth, so do GM's and organizational people.  If we keep remembering Bruce Levine is media and media is very often wrong, it's not a big deal.  I don't think Levine is intentionally reporting false information.

This goes for all sports media (not just Levine). It's so obvious they want KGJ traded to the WSox. Imagine the buzz that would create if it were to happen. Not just to finish the regular season but much more so in the post season. The ratings & coverage of the WSox nation-wide with KGJ on the team would at least double.

I think that's part of why they won't let it die.

some of you need to realize the reason you are hearing comments like that from cincy players/coaches is because the CHICAGO media wont shut the hell up. this thing has been dead for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. it isnt talked about in any media outlet in ohio except to refute what a chicago person says. the players and coaches are getting sick and tired of being asked 1million times everyday by chicago media and such about it. what do you expect. i love how when you have a chance to get the guy, no bashing, all love. then the min it turns sour, some start complaining and bashing like youve never heard. griffey doesnt want to move. so what, move on. thats life

Griffey Jr: "I'm not going to discuss it without my lawyer present. The ballclub has not come to me with a formal offer."

KGJ: .451A, 7HR, 11RBI's last 12 gms

Do you really think the Cincy media doesn't want this to happen? They keep pointing out the 7 gm losing streak but all but ignore the fact we are 5-5 in our last 10 including a series win @MIN, & a sweep in progress in SEA. We are NOT a team desperate for KGJ yet they keep portraying us that way. :rolly

Wednesday just before midnight is the deadline.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
Well, as much as I hate to say it, Griffey to the Sox ain't happening'.  As for that crack from the Reds, well, what else would expect out of 'the Big Dead Machine'?

I wonder why they call Cinci 'the Queen City'. :huh

Isn't that Charlotte?

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 28, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
some of you need to realize the reason you are hearing comments like that from cincy players/coaches is because the CHICAGO media wont shut the hell up.  this thing has been dead for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.  it isnt talked about in any media outlet in ohio except to refute what a chicago person says.  the players and coaches are getting sick and tired of being asked 1million times everyday by chicago media and such about it.  what do you expect.  i love how when you have a chance to get the guy, no bashing, all love.  then the min it turns sour, some start complaining and bashing like youve never heard.  griffey doesnt want to move.  so what, move on.  thats life

Well it will give cincinatti something to do. My take is that this is Griffeys last chance for a ring. The reds will not do anything remotely close for the next three years and Griffey can get injured quite frequently and he is getting old. Its unfortunate that it won't work out for both sides. The sox are ready this year and the Reds really need to re-build a bit especially around pitching. The reason that the Chicago media keeps bringing it up is because there was soemthing to it. I assume they were close at one time recently and I am sure we went back to them last week to sweeten the deal. That's why it keeps coming up.

As for my friend Addison telling you to move on. I kind of like you here to bring another perspective. Is Ryan freel still injured? because I want him too.

griffey's quotes dont neccessarily say that he wont be traded, he just hasnt heard anything to say he is going to be asked

so his statement of 'im in pitsburgh with the reds, yada yada' is right...

he isnt going to chicago..... yet!