Sox v. Yanks 8/19/05 Official Game Thread

bjm676

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
Would have been much higher than 5% if willing to eat some of that Lowell contract, but the team is only going to smash the record for sellouts in a season, so you know that whole JR thing about increased attendance equals increased payroll is so right on.

Has Hawk started "this losing streak and letting Cleveland and the Minnesota closer into the race is exactly what this team needs, now they won't be stagnant going into the playoffs."  That has to be coming soon.

The main reason the Burnett trade didn't go through was Burnett had absolutely no intention of resigning with the Sox. He knows he's going to be the main pitcher on the market this offseason, and he's been rumored to want to pitch for the Red Sox for a while now. Taking on Lowell's contract would have been an awful idea.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
I have noticed this and my respect for hawk is slowly droping he is in love with this team to much.

i love hawk and i cant imagine what sox baseball will be like when he leaves. im 20 and hes all ive ever known from teh booth. ive had many an arguement supporting him over the likes of steve stone. but this year has been a slurp fest from hawk to the point where its getting annoying and frustrating. that said, i still dont want anyone other than hawk in there, id just like him to call it as it is a little bit more.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
I have noticed this and my respect for hawk is slowly droping he is in love with this team to much.

Go to soxfest this is what you will hear.

This INSERT YEAR HERE Whitesox team is the best team that I have seen here yet. INSERT STRATEGY/SMARTBALL/POWER/COMBO is the reason we will be sucessfull. Kenny Williams is the smartest man in baseball. INSERT YEAR HERE is the best Soxfest yet.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
The most painful is when he was comparing the boston offensive players and how he would basically take every hitter on our team over their except for ortiz and manny. 

Their worst hitter would be our superstar.

He probably couldn't find a place for Damon to play either?

Where would he play??

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
Go to soxfest this is what you will hear.

This INSERT YEAR HERE Whitesox team is the best team that I have seen here yet.  INSERT STRATEGY/SMARTBALL/POWER/COMBO is the reason we will be sucessfull.  Kenny Williams is the smartest man in baseball.  INSERT YEAR HERE is the best Soxfest yet.

Trust me I know but this year is defiantly the worse I mean crede over A-rod

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
The main reason the Burnett trade didn't go through was Burnett had absolutely no intention of resigning with the Sox.  He knows he's going to be the main pitcher on the market this offseason, and he's been rumored to want to pitch for the Red Sox for a while now.  Taking on Lowell's contract would have been an awful idea.

fathom thats the point again tho...there are two optinos here. 1.) you pay the guy what hes gonna want, and he will resign, so money was an issue. or 2.) you trade for him and let him walk. obviously thats a huge gamble and bmac coulda bit us in the ass for years to come. but us not making the trade could bite us in the ass for years to come too.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Trust me I know but this year is defiantly the worse I mean crede over A-rod

Oh you mean the gold glove 3b that drops flyballs ala Jose Valentin last year during our losing streak. Or the guy who cant hit a straight 91 mph fastball down the cock.

WHEN HE CLICKS OMG, WATCH THE BALL FLY OUT OF THE PARK

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this team is pissing me off so much right now. first time they are making me mad all year and its august 19. not bad. on that note im going to bed.

Edited by daa84

our offense is pathetic. we might not win the division now. in fact i bet we get swept by the yankees and go into the baggy dome with our tales between our legs. many cub fans are mocking me saying we are the repeat of the '69 Cubs. And sadly im starting to be scared that something like that can happen. When does Pods come back?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:02 AM)
fathom thats the point again tho...there are two optinos here. 1.) you pay the guy what hes gonna want, and he will resign, so money was an issue. or 2.) you trade for him and let him walk. obviously thats a huge gamble and bmac coulda bit us in the ass for years to come. but us not making the trade could bite us in the ass for years to come too.

If Burnett was offered a 3 yr, 45 million dollar deal from the White Sox....then he wouldn't have signed, and he would have expected to have that number matched and raised by the big budget teams like Red Sox, Yankees, etc. Freddy was a very unique situation because of his closeness with Ozzie. Ozzie and AJB didn't have that r'ship in order to force him to sign before testing the market. Good move by Burnett, who's making himself millions more with each start.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
our offense is pathetic. we might not win the division now. in fact i bet we get swept by the yankees and go into the baggy dome with our tales between our legs. many cub fans are mocking me saying we are the repeat of the '69 Cubs. And sadly im starting to be scared that something like that can happen. When does Pods come back?

september 1st

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 04:12 AM)
september 1st

A speed player coming off of a groin injury doesn't exact equate to a lot of success coming out of the gates. Hopefully, other players on our team will pick it up, and Pods won't have so much pressure on him.

in fact i bet we get swept by the yankees and go into the baggy dome with our tales between our legs. many cub fans are mocking me saying we are the repeat of the '69 Cubs. And sadly im starting to be scared that something like that can happen.

cmon, show some stones.

have faith.

don't tell me we sox fans are becoming wimps

and giving up.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
:stick If he said that then im thinking he might bow down to KW if he gets Mike Jackson out of retirement to DH for us. :lolhitting

Well here is a question for everyone.

The best record in the AL a playoff contender all year long.

What is up with the following.

Why is Timo Perez playing such a critical role on this team. He has been in over 58 games and has the most ABs on the B squad. He has been a DH and a leadoff hitter and has played first. For whatever reason Ozzie keeps rolling this guy out there. What does he provide besides a pinch hitter. He is slow, he has a good arm, he cant hit regularly, he cant get on base. Would Timo even play this role for the KC Royals. Probably not.

Why is Jon Adkins who got roughed up still up and on this team. I slightly bought the Kevin Walker coming up because he was a lefty. It was a dumb reason over Baj, but hey whatever. But Jon Adkins comes up and Ozzie likes him, and we watch him get destroyed on the mound. Last year people hit 305 against him. But he gets promoted.

Joe Crede. He makes some nice plays. He doesnt know how to position himself. Pull hitters he plays off the line. He drops and muffs easy plays that lead to big innings. He is a streaky hitter and all, but when he goes south OMG its real bad. Most hitters dont die at below 200 clips for months at a time.

Jermaine Dye. What Jermaine is the right guy. Is it the guy who hits over 300 for a month or so. Or the guy who hits under 200 for a month or so. Its kind of funny because when his bat dies, he cant field either and makes bad throws and bad reads on balls.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
A speed player coming off of a groin injury doesn't exact equate to a lot of success coming out of the gates.  Hopefully, other players on our team will pick it up, and Pods won't have so much pressure on him.

thats what im hoping happens i just answering someones question.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
in fact i bet we get swept by the yankees and go into the baggy dome with our tales between our legs. many cub fans are mocking me saying we are the repeat of the '69 Cubs. And sadly im starting to be scared that something like that can happen.

cmon, show some stones.

have faith.

don't tell me we sox fans are becoming wimps

and giving up.

Goddamn it! Who give the f*** about the Cubs fans laughing at you OR me! You are so damn childish to think about the Cubs fans mocking us. Get a hold of yourself. We will be right back winning again. Guarantee!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Look at the pitching numbers the first half of the season compared to the second half of the season.  I think that's the biggest difference that has happened to this team.

Not really. Our team era is 3.80 since the break. That's not as good as it was before the break. But that's hardly a huge drop off.

As much s*** as I've given Timo in the past couple days, he's been great recently....Clutch ribbies against the Twins, a great throw to third which looked like he got him...a hit tonight....

Granted, the slut is still a B Team player but he's lookin' like a contributor on a White Sox team on which nobody contributes...

sorry guys im just in alittle panic mode right now. i'm not giving up. it would be dumb to give up with a 9.5 division lead in late August, i just want alittle hope to hang my hat on to let me know we will bounce back. Right now the offense is what is bringing us down. The pitching has for the most part still kept us in games, but how many runs/game have we averaged during this losing streak? Like 2.2 runs/ game? That just aint going to cut it. If i were Ozzie this would be my lineup tonite- screw the Timo Perez leadoff experement.

Rowand CF

Iguchi 2B

Everett DH (struggling)

Konerko 1B (if his back lets him)

Pierzynski C (struggling)

Dye RF (struggling)

Uribe SS (struggling)

Crede 3B (always struggles)

Anderson LF (can't hurt- let the kid play)