Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
When I look at that contract, it really strikes me as the kind of contract you'd sign a guy to if you were hoping to make a run at a title for 1 more season (say, before your starting pitching started hitting the FA Market), and if you didn't make it, you would consider yourself set up to trade him.

Why else would they have pushed for such a low first year cost?

That does seem odd, but two things:

A: They still have a fairly good team, so why wouldn't they try that for the first two years? Maybe they though it would be pushing their luck, maybe they knew AJ was gone, leaving them a little more spending room before Beckett/Willis hit FA.

B: Setting the deal up like that doesn't exactly increase his trade value.

I keep forgetting I can't use paretheses if I do that A), B) thing, because then it turns into a smiley, like this.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
The sox will definitely not offer konerko a trade clause either will the red sox. If the red sox signed konerko with a no trade clause other players on the red sox will get full and partial no trade clauses... it is already in some contracts that it kicks in. Red sox are out of the hunt for konerko and were never players for him in my opnion anyway.

If Konerko signed back with the White Sox, he would only need a no trade for the first 3 years. After that he would be a 5 and 10 man and he would have the right to refuse a trade anyway.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
Seriously, I'm still waiting to hear exactly what it was he said that turned this whole organization against him.  The only thing I remember hearing was him b****ing after he made that error in a game against K.C. when he said "I only play every x days, I've got to make that play."  or something to that effect.

Myself as well. Anyone remember what the deal was? I just heard about one small incident, and I never got the impression it was a huge deal.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
That does seem odd, but two things:

A) They still have a fairly good team, so why wouldn't they try that for the first two years? Maybe they though it would be pushing their luck, maybe they knew AJ was gone, leaving them a little more spending room before Beckett/Willis hit FA.

B) Setting the deal up like that doesn't exactly increase his trade value.

No, but he was coming off a season where he was injured for 1/2 of the season, so in theory, playing healthy for a full season would have worked to increase his trade value.

And yes, they do have a fairly good team, but they have a fairly good team that is going to gradually start getting worse if they don't make moves. They're basically at the limit of waht they can spend if not beyond it. Next year they lose Pierre as well, and I don't know when DTrain and Beckett hit the FA Market, but it can't be more than a couple years.

They have a bad contract in Lowell. They can build around Cabrera. But they need to start dealing other people to build for the future.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Overbay is overated on this board immensely... rather annoying actually.

I know the diamonbacks have a log jam at first and third but tracy is far and away their best hitter for the money. I see them trying to trade basically everyone and anyone else on that team before him.

Thank you! I can't see why everybody has such a woody for this guy.

And in my opinion...there's NO WAY the DBack part with Tracy...NONE! Their infield soon will look like Tracy at 3rd, Drew at SS, Cintron at 2nd and Conner Jackson at 1B. But their pitching pretty much sucks.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I don't think there is a chance that he goes to the Mets.

Explain why? They have a lot of money - new cable network starting. They need a big bat, and they'd love to fill in that bat at 1b.

I wouldn't want to go to NY either, but if they're the only ones meeting his price, which they may very well be...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
I don't think there is a chance that he goes to the Mets.

They have like $80 million committed to Beltran, Pedro, Glavine, Benson, Floyd, and Cameron. No way in hell they can afford Paulie unless they move one of them or their GM/owner is an absolute moron that has nothing better to do with money.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
If Konerko signed back with the White Sox, he would only need a no trade for the first 3 years. After that he would be a 5 and 10 man and he would have the right to refuse a trade anyway.

How many no trade clauses have the sox offered in their history? Just doesn't happen.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Explain why?  They have a lot of money - new cable network starting.  They need a big bat, and they'd love to fill in that bat at 1b.

I wouldn't want to go to NY either, but if they're the only ones meeting his price, which they may very well be...

I don't think Paul wants to go to an east coast team, I think the Mets are going to be first looking at the Billy Wagners of the world, also I think Manaya(sp?) will get caught up in the whole manny situation and not make a big play at Paul. I obviously could be wrong I just dont see him ending up on the mets.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
They have like $80 million committed to Beltran, Pedro, Glavine, Benson, Floyd, and Cameron. No way in hell they can afford Paulie unless they move one of them or their GM/owner is an absolute moron that has nothing better to do with money.

They gave up Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. Dont overestimate the stupidty of the new york mets. They will be freeing up their money from a certain catcher who wants to become a DH and extend his playing time. They have the money.

Piazza made 16 mill this year.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
How many no trade clauses have the sox offered in their history? Just doesn't happen.

They wouldn't give him one. But if he wasn't traded the first 3 years of the contract, he would have an automatic one, just like the Big Hurt has had the last 4 seasons.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Thank you!  I can't see why everybody has such a woody for this guy.

And in my opinion...there's NO WAY the DBack part with Tracy...NONE!  Their infield soon will look like Tracy at 3rd, Drew at SS, Cintron at 2nd and Conner Jackson at 1B.  But their pitching pretty much sucks.

Cintron should be traded out of there... by widger, he sucks.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Thank you!  I can't see why everybody has such a woody for this guy.

And in my opinion...there's NO WAY the DBack part with Tracy...NONE!  Their infield soon will look like Tracy at 3rd, Drew at SS, Cintron at 2nd and Conner Jackson at 1B.  But their pitching pretty much sucks.

I don't think the D'backs trade Tracy either. But he's not gonna be playing at third... his defense there is definitely lacking.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
They wouldn't give him one. But if he wasn't traded the first 3 years of the contract, he would have an automatic one, just like the Big Hurt has had the last 4 seasons.

His agent is gonna be pushing hard for that no trade clause... thus the problem.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
If we are all advocating that we can just plug someone in 1B to replace PK.  Then we have to make up production elsewhere.  Who do we have that is under performing offensively.  A-row for one then needs to be gone.

i agree, i'm not afraid to make changes.

(as long as they work out, if not i'll claim why the hell did KW get rid of a future gold glover for dis)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
They gave up Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.  Dont overestimate the stupidty of the new york mets.  They will be freeing up their money from a certain catcher who wants to become a DH and extend his playing time.  They have the money.

How much can they spend though? Most of the money being freed up by Piazza is going to be directed towards those 6 guys. There's $8 mil in raises this year just to Belran, Pedro, Benson, and Cameron. They're not taking in anywhere near as much money as the Yankees, so I don't expect them to spend quite like them. If they trade Cameron that'd be one thing, but they need a lot more help than just Paulie. I can't see them doing more than signing Paulie if they managed to sign him, meaning they'd still have a gapping hole in the bullpen, at catcher, and at 2B.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I don't think the D'backs trade Tracy either.  But he's not gonna be playing at third... his defense there is definitely lacking.

Did ya see him play any RF where they stuck him?!?...Good Lord...it was almost comical. 3rd is his natural position...albeit, he's no Ventura or anything.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
His agent is gonna be pushing hard for that no trade clause... thus the problem.

They all do, but it will be interesting to see if someone gives him one. If not, his service time with the White Sox may actually help the Sox cause in re-signing him. I would love to see him back, but I think it would be silly giving him too many years. A guy like Paulie can get old quick and on the other hand he may age with the bat well. I am still very concerned with his hip, although it seems to have become a non issue the past couple seasons. I seriously doubt an NL team is going to give him the length his agent wants, it may take him 20 minutes to run to first base in 7 years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Yikes this thread has a mind of its own.  Maybe I should throw this in........

Trade Garland for Delgado

*scurries away*

Yea.. well I'm gonna raise you a

screw Pauly and get Sweeney

:ph34r: