Long Term Deal for Garland?

joeynach

Im just playing GM here, but we all know KW, hes doesn't like to overpay or get caught up in big $$ situations like arbitration. That being said Garland is not Free Agent eligible but he is up for Arbitration again, and due a raise. I think now is very good time to offer him the longer team deal, 3 years or so. Garland definatly had a career year, 18-10 with a 3.5 ERA. Hes not going start 8-0 every year and be almost Cy Young, he is going to be a very good 3 or 4 starter worth around 5 or 6 mil (with no arbitration) if he can have an ERA under 4 and win 15+. I would love to see the sox wrap him up through his Arbitration years, he made 3.25 mil this past year. I think something like 3 years 18 mil would be great for Jon, maybe backload like 5 mil in 06, 6 mil in 07, and 7 mil in 08. Any comments.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Im just playing GM here, but we all know KW, hes doesn't like to overpay or get caught up in big $$ situations like arbitration.  That being said Garland is not Free Agent eligible but he is up for Arbitration again, and due a raise.  I think now is very good time to offer him the longer team deal, 3 years or so.  Garland definatly had a career year, 18-10 with a 3.5 ERA.  Hes not going start 8-0 every year and be almost Cy Young, he is going to be a very good 3 or 4 starter worth around 5 or 6 mil (with no arbitration) if he can have an ERA under 4 and win 15+.  I would love to see the sox wrap him up through his Arbitration years, he made 3.25 mil this past year.  I think something like 3 years 18 mil would be great for Jon, maybe backload like 5 mil in 06, 6 mil in 07, and 7 mil in 08.  Any comments.

I am hoping KW can work out something similar to what he gave Buehrle

I believe the California Kid will be FA eligible after next season.

If he isn't signed this offseason, he will be shopped during the course of next season or even during this offseason.

I'd like to see a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal for Garland with an option for a 4th year at $8 million.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
I'd like to see a 3 year, 21 million dollar deal for Garland with an option for a 4th year at $8 million.

Sounds like perfect numbers to me...I'd even tolerate another $3 million on the deal if it holds onto him.

There are 3 guys on this team right now who should not be allowed to leave. We made a mistake by not finding a way to sign one of them last spring. The other 2 are named Mark and Jon.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I believe the California Kid will be FA eligible after next season.

If he isn't signed this offseason, he will be shopped during the course of next season or even during this offseason.

I think if hes not signed long term before arbitration then the sox will look to move him this offseason becuase he could get between 7-10 mil in arbitration, hes not Johan Santana (he makes 10). We dont want him heading into free agency with a starting salary of between 7-10 mil, there would be no way to resign him then. The deal needs to get down now.

By the way Buehrle is a potential FA after 2006 as well, I would like to see KW do what he did with Freddy and the 3 year extension at 27 mil. That would be great for MB and eventuall for Garland after he finishes his first 3 year deal, just like MB.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
By the way Buehrle is a potential FA after 2006 as well, I would like to see KW do what he did with Freddy and the 3 year extension at 27 mil.  That would be great for MB and eventuall for Garland after he finishes his first 3 year deal, just like MB.

I believe the team has an option on Buehrle for 2007 which will almost certainly be picked up. Hopefully it won't even come to that, because at the end of 06 KW will be smart enough to realize he's the face of the franchise and we must ink him to a new deal before he hits the market.

I would be SHOCKED if Garland signed a multi year deal that had the last years being that cheap. Jon has to have seen what guys who were half as good as him (Clement and Ortiz come to mind) got in this marketplace. He would pull down $10 mil a year for 4-5 years on the open market right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
I would be SHOCKED if Garland signed a multi year deal that had the last years being that cheap.  Jon has to have seen what guys who were half as good as him (Clement and Ortiz come to mind) got in this marketplace.  He would pull down $10 mil a year for 4-5 years on the open market right now.

I agree. I see something like $7, $9, $12, with a year 4 option.

A big key to this pitching staff is Don Cooper. If Coop stays, then there is a good chance this pitching staff will be BETTER next year. If Coop goes, the staff will stay the same (which isn't bad at all, obviously) or worse. so I think we should wait and see what Coop is going to do...if anything.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
A big key to this pitching staff is Don Cooper.  If Coop stays, then there is a good chance this pitching staff will be BETTER next year.  If Coop goes, the staff will stay the same (which isn't bad at all, obviously) or worse.  so I think we should wait and see what Coop is going to do...if anything.

Coop isn't going anywhere.

14 wins in an average year. Young guy. Looked great in the post season. Boras could get him a $30/3 deal right now. A lesser agent could get him $35/4

IMHO he's a solid #2 on most staffs right now and a #1 on a couple. How good would he look in Yankee pinstripes?

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
I think if hes not signed long term before arbitration then the sox will look to move him this offseason becuase he could get between 7-10 mil in arbitration, hes not Johan Santana (he makes 10).  We dont want him heading into free agency with a starting salary of between 7-10 mil, there would be no way to resign him then.  The deal needs to get down now.

By the way Buehrle is a potential FA after 2006 as well, I would like to see KW do what he did with Freddy and the 3 year extension at 27 mil.  That would be great for MB and eventuall for Garland after he finishes his first 3 year deal, just like MB.

Jon would get no where near 10 mill in arbitration. If he goes to arbitration which I highly doubt he'll get around 6-7

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
14 wins in an average year. Young guy. Looked great in the post season. Boras could get him a $30/3 deal right now. A lesser agent could get him $35/4

IMHO he's a solid #2 on most staffs right now and a #1 on a couple. How good would he look in Yankee pinstripes?

Maybe.. if Boras was his agent. Thank God he's not. At the end of the day I think Jerry will convince the others that it's time they take a risk with a pitcher again. Jon also has done a great deal of bonding with this staff and the players. I think Jon is the least of our worries in terms of a deal getting done.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
I believe the team has an option on Buehrle for 2007 which will almost certainly be picked up.  Hopefully it won't even come to that, because at the end of 06 KW will be smart enough to realize he's the face of the franchise and we must ink him to a new deal before he hits the market.

Yeah at 9.5 mil. Im saying KW and the sox would rather have him locked up for 3 years or so to pay him that than give it to him in an option year where he will be FA after it ends. I hope MB signs a Freddy like deal sometime in the next year like 3 years 27 mil, go 8, 9 and then 10 mil.

Contrearas is a FA after next season. I think he is the guy they gamble on letting walk. I would build this team around Garcia, Buerhle, and Garland. I think Garland has the most upside. I would think 4yr $36M is what he will ask for with money coming in the year Freddy is off the books $7M, 9, 9, 11.

In arbitration I think he gets Clement money.

Jon, AJ and Crede need to be locked up long-term.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Contrearas is a FA after next season.  I think he is the guy they gamble on letting walk.  I would build this team around Garcia, Buerhle, and Garland.  I think Garland has the most upside.  I would think 4yr $36M is what he will ask for with money coming in the year Freddy is off the books $7M, 9, 9, 11. 

In arbitration I think he gets Clement money.

Jon, AJ and Crede need to be locked up long-term.

This is exactly why some of us have been considering whether now would be a good time to trade Contreras for some high quality players/bats/prospects/something like that. He's the one they'll probably let walk, and we can get a ton for him right now after his performance in the 2nd half.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
Yeah at 9.5 mil.  Im saying KW and the sox would rather have him locked up for 3 years or so to pay him that than give it to him in an option year where he will be FA after it ends.  I hope MB signs a Freddy like deal sometime in the next year like 3 years 27 mil, go 8, 9 and then 10 mil.

I think it'll probably take more than that to keep him for a couple of reasons...

1) Mark has been more consistent in the past than Freddy

2) Freddy signed before the Kris Benson deal that sent pitching costs skyrocketing

3) Guys like Carl Pavano, Matt Clement, and Russ Ortiz are getting $9 or $10 mil contracts

Granted guys resigning with their teams in the last couple of years have been signing for under market value (Johan's 4/40 deal comes to mind), I would still think something like that 4/40 (counting the option year) would be what it takes to keep him.