Willie Harris, moron

southsider2k5

He goes in and asks Kenny for more PT, but then doesn't listen when KW tells him how he can get it. :bang I wouldn't be surprised if he gets shipped out soon.

Willie Harris, who is eligible for arbitration, is projected as a backup infielder. Williams said Harris told him he would like more playing time but declined to polish his skills and increase his versatility by playing shortstop in winter ball.

"As I sit here today, he's one of our utility guys," Williams said. "But that could change."

Without knowing specifics...I think it may be a little premature to just say that. Didn't Willie have a family matter this past year? Maybe he had to provide more time for his daughter? Who knows. If it was just Willie saying, "Nah...I don't want/need to play this winter..." then yes...I'd tend to agree.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Without knowing specifics...I think it may be a little premature to just say that.  Didn't Willie have a family matter this past year?  Maybe he had to provide more time for his daughter?  Who knows.  If it was just Willie saying, "Nah...I don't want/need to play this winter..."  then yes...I'd tend to agree.

If that's the case, you don't go to your boss looking for more responsibility, when you might not be able to handle what they ask of you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
If that's the case, you don't go to your boss looking for more responsibility, when you might not be able to handle what they ask of you.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly with ya...but I just wish they would have cited his reasoning for not playing this winter is all I'm saying.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Perhaps we could chip in for his airfare on a one way ticket to Cairo, GA where we'll never hear from him again. Nevermind, it will be hard to collect money with people emptying their wallets for the highly successful Deport Timo Pledge drive

If you'll remember, I started a thread asking to collect to upgrade Harris' plane ticket from coach to first class upon his being sent down to Charlotte. :lol:

I'll pitch in a five spot.

For all the s*** Willie gets, remember that he looked alot better after being called up from AAA, remember that he sucks up everything at 2B, and remember that he's speed off the bench.

And I hear that people didn't like Willie because I guess he pulled some stunt in 2004, but from everything I've seen this past year, he was always talking to guys on the team like Buehrle and it looked like he got along with them just fine.

With the Mack trade today, it is likely Willie Harris will be gone. But why heap scorn on the guy who scored the only run in our WS clinching victory?

The guy was a valuable utility man in 2005. When he came back from AAA, he had a very high OBP and helped us in September. If you needed a stolen base, Willie was our best bet. (I remember one game he won pinch running for Frank Thomas.)

If the guy is given a full-time shot somewhere, he's not that different than Juan Pierre, who many on this site drool over. (Not me.)

So, say sayonara to Willie, but don't kick him on the way out.

The Marlins could use a starting 2B for next year. Throw in Borchard too, they need a couple mlb ready OFers. If things with Mike Myers don't turn out, maybe Ron Villone? He crashed and burned during the second half last year but had a stellar first half. I don't really care for Villone at this point, but getting something out of Willie and Joe would be better than nothing. Either that or maybe we could pry a LOW level pitching prospect?

Edit: They could use the speed of Willie after losing both their speedsters at the top of their order. Willie and Joe are both on the very cheap as well with perceived upside.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
For all the s*** Willie gets, remember that he looked alot better after being called up from AAA, remember that he sucks up everything at 2B, and remember that he's speed off the bench.

And I hear that people didn't like Willie because I guess he pulled some stunt in 2004, but from everything I've seen this past year, he was always talking to guys on the team like Buehrle and it looked like he got along with them just fine.

I like Willie Harris and what he brings to the Sox. He can spot start at CF or 2B and hopefully will work on that SS thing. Having a player like Willie that can steal you a base or otherwise PR for a slowpoke standing on second when we need that winning run, etc, is apositive for the Sox. Willie is a good team player. I don't think it's wrong of any player to want more playing time. That shows their desire to win.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Willie helped us win a WS title.  He's golden in my books.  If he's gone, I'll remember him fondly for that.

That idea about Villone might actually be realistic.  They probably can use a cheap, speedster 2B now that Castillo is gone.

What are Villone's splits against lefties?

Last year:

AVG OBP Slug OPS

.222 .324 .256 .580

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
If you'll remember, I started a thread asking to collect to upgrade Harris' plane ticket from coach to first class upon his being sent down to Charlotte. :lol:

I'll pitch in a five spot.

$20 from me..

We filled one hole today with Mak. The utilty guy. We still have 3 remaining:

1) LH RP

2) 3B backup / SS backup

3) CF with speed

I did not see enough good things from Anderson last yr to where I'm convinced he will not struggle mightily playing everyday in CF. The fact he's had some surgery this off-season doesn't help his cause. Owens is tearing up Winter Ball & with his SB talent might surprise us all. But if KW has an opportunity to get Crawford & move Pods to CF he should do it.

The plain simple fact with Harris is that he's worth more to the team as trade bait than as a player.