Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

-Don't know much about Chris Young, but I thought Jerry Owens or even Ryan Sweeney would be in their plans first.

-I wonder how the loss of El Duque would effect Contreras.

-Losing Vizcaino, is nothing. Mop-up men are a dime a dozen.

Wow, were getting some serious cash if that report from the USA today is true. 4 million each year, plus we get Duque's ugly contract off the books. I realize we gave up a really good prospect in Young, but we just got ourselves a guy with good stuff (who has put up above average numbers before) and are going to be (net wise) paying 1.5 million more for him than Duque/Viz.

Plus we'll have him another year at 7.5 mill to 8 mill and than the following year we will be able to have his rights (supposedly).

Wow, were getting some serious cash if that report from the USA today is true. 4 million each year, plus we get Duque's ugly contract off the books. I realize we gave up a really good prospect in Young, but we just got ourselves a guy with good stuff (who has put up above average numbers before) and are going to be (net wise) paying 1.5 million more for him than Duque/Viz. 

Plus we'll have him another year at 7.5 mill to 8 mill and than the following year we will be able to have his rights (supposedly).

We will. Vazquez gave up his right to become a free agent after 2007 when he demanded a trade. We will be able to offer him arbitration after the 2007 season.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
any sports colum write up links out yet?

i wanna see what FARRY-OTTIE says about this one

haha

brantley?

haha

anyone, i wanna get an "experts" take.

Stark was on ESPN 1000 in the morning. He said he LOVED the trade.

Arizona willing to pay 8 million of Vazquez's remaining contract certaintly makes this deal more reasonable. That still, as of now, leaves questions concerning Garland's future with this club and our bullpen situation. Browsing through another thread, it appeared (from Williams' comments) immiment Garland would be delt. While the concept of situating McCarthy in the bullpen as a insurance policy may appear feasible to some, I don't believe Williams will set him there.

All I ask of Williams is to receive a good package for Garland. Don't pull the undervauling-of-a-player-in-order-to-have-money-available-for- another-signing/trade, trade.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I'm running around in f***ing circles.

I saw a theme going, and I went with it. My apologies. :P

By the way, Buster Olney likes the trade. He thinks Vazquez is a good ball taker, whatever the hell that means.

• Javier Vazquez is on the verge of being traded to the White Sox, for a package that includes Orlando Hernandez and not Jon Garland, according to Nick Piecoro. A very nice deal for the White Sox, because Vazquez is a guy who takes the ball and now slots in at the back end of the Chicago rotation.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
I saw a theme going, and I went with it.  My apologies.  :P

By the way, Buster Olney likes the trade.  He thinks Vazquez is a good ball taker, whatever the hell that means.

i think he means he will pitch 200+ innings, which is what the Sox love

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
We overpaid... again.  This seems to be a thing about this offseason.  We are getting good players, but overpaying massively.

how? Vizcaino is a Mop Up guy. You can find those anywhere. El Duque is the guy I didn't want to give up however you have to give up something to get something. Plus Young is a Prospect. Prospects=Suspects. There have been a ton of great prospects for the Sox like Olivo, Borchard, and Diaz. What have they done?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
how?  Vizcaino is a Mop Up guy.  You can find those anywhere.  El Duque is the guy I didn't want to give up however you have to give up something to get something.  Plus Young is a Prospect.  Prospects=Suspects.  There have been a ton of great prospects for the Sox like Olivo, Borchard, and Diaz.  What have they done?

Yes. And the biggest thing we gave up for a future HOF'er in Thome was Aaron Rowand, who Brian Anderson is going to be better than anyways. And we dumped a mental midget for the best utility man in baseball.

I swear, people are just LOOKING for reasons to panic even now with our World Champion GM.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Yes.  And the biggest thing we gave up for a future HOF'er in Thome was Aaron Rowand, who Brian Anderson is going to be better than anyways.  And we dumped a mental midget for the best utility man in baseball.

I swear, people are just LOOKING for reasons to panic even now with our World Champion GM.

Remember a couple years ago when people were calling for KW's head. Wow have times changed. I love this trade and that Thome trade is a great trade for both teams IMHO. I agree with you about Anderson. I think we need to give him a chance.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
how?  Vizcaino is a Mop Up guy.  You can find those anywhere.  El Duque is the guy I didn't want to give up however you have to give up something to get something.  Plus Young is a Prospect.  Prospects=Suspects.  There have been a ton of great prospects for the Sox like Olivo, Borchard, and Diaz.  What have they done?

Chris Young for Javier Vazquez is one sided enough. We have 5 starters without Vazquez, and we throw in our best prospect for a 6th. Then, we threw in two other pitchers. It doesn't make sense to me unless Garland is already being dealt elsewhere.

Plus, Vazquez is not that good of a groundball pitcher.. the balls will be flying out of US Cellular Field.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Yes.  And the biggest thing we gave up for a future HOF'er in Thome was Aaron Rowand, who Brian Anderson is going to be better than anyways.  And we dumped a mental midget for the best utility man in baseball.

No, the biggest thing we gave up for Thome is Gio and Haigwood, our best lefty pitching prospects. And what does it matter if he's a future HOF? We are talking about how he will do next year, not how his career has been.

And I was exctatic when we traded Marte for Mack.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Chris Young for Javier Vazquez is one sided enough.  We have 5 starters without Vazquez, and we throw in our best prospect for a 6th.  Then, we threw in two other pitchers.  It doesn't make sense to me unless Garland is already being dealt elsewhere.

Plus, Vazquez is not that good of a groundball pitcher.. the balls will be flying out of US Cellular Field.

No, the biggest thing we gave up for Thome is Gio and Haigwood, our best lefty pitching prospects.  And what does it matter if he's a future HOF?  We are talking about how he will do next year, not how his career has been.

And I was exctatic when we traded Marte for Mack.

I just got the new ESPN the Magazine and for the K Korner section by Tim Kurkjian a scout had this to say about the Thome Deal:

Jim Thome "will spit balls into the leftfield seats" at The Cell, a scout says.  With 430 Career homers, Thome has tremendous incentive to return to the form that made him one of the game's best power hitters.