Sox Acquire Javier Vazquez

joeynach

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Garland was more major league ready when he came up then McCarthy is now and how many people tried to run him out of town.

When Garland came up he was younger, had less experience, and stats not as impressive as McCarthy's. How was he more major league ready?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Borchard was not the 5th pick overall.  The Sox haven't had a top ten pick since ... who?  Thomas?  Fernandez?

ok, I just remember hearing Sox got excellent value when they picked him because no one expected him to sign to play baseball since he was also a possible 1st round football pick the next year. So maybe he was like 15th, but people were saying he was top ten value...

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
I don't know if this has been posted, but it looks like the D-Backs will pay $8 million:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/20...s-vazquez_x.htm

Wow. Considering they initially weren't willing to pay anything in a Vazquez deal, that's shocking. It also goes to show what they think of Chris Young. With Vizcaino arb eligible, the money is close to a wash this season with Duque getting 4.5 Vizcaino around 2.0 and 4.0 from the D-Backs, that's only $1 million the Sox are adding to the payroll.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Wow. Considering they initially weren't willing to pay anything in a Vazquez deal,  that's shocking. It also goes to show what they think of Chris Young. With Vizcaino arb eligible, the money is close to a wash this season with Duque getting 4.5 Vizcaino around 2.0 and 4.0 from the D-Backs, that's only $1 million the Sox are adding to the payroll.

Only adding about $1 mill to the payroll makes this deal worth it. Great job again KW!

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
I don't know if this has been posted, but it looks like the D-Backs will pay $8 million:

So the Yankees, Philles and D/Backs are giving us almost $30M to field a compeitive team???? Amazing.

At $7.5M a year this is a great deal. I am sorry Willie Mays Jr. had to go.

I find it somewhat interesting that Young and Rowand are gone but Anderson is still here. I like Wilder and think he knows what he is doing.

Borchard went #12 overall. That was the highest since Bobby Seay in 1996 was also drafted #12. Alex Fernandez is the only top 10 pick since 1990, when he went #4 overall.

There only major differences between Garland and McCarthy are their performances that year. Garland was much better in the minors that year, but got shelled in the majors. McCarthy was having a less than stellar year in the minors and during his first callup, but was very good in his second shot with the club. I'd say his pitching performance toward the end of the year more clearly displayed he was ready than Garland's 6+ ERA in his first year with the Sox.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)

That is excellent news. That may very well mean that we can resign either Contreras or Garland with ease now, and thus have 5 guaranteed starters for 2 years (and hopefully more, if KW does what he should and caves in to every single demand by Cy Buehrle)

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
So the Yankees, Philles and D/Backs are giving us almost $30M to field a compeitive team????  Amazing.

At $7.5M a year this is a great deal.  I am sorry Willie Mays Jr. had to go.

I find it somewhat interesting that Young and Rowand are gone but Anderson is still here.  I like Wilder and think he knows what he is doing.

That $30 Million will probably be more than the full team payrolls of the Marlins or Devil Rays in 2006!

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
To get Vasquez for crappy LV, Young who was not in future plans really and there oldest player on team who was gone next year anyway is brilliant on KW part, I think Garlang may go If Contreras signs an extension.

Chris Young was most definately in the future plans. As of yesterday he was on pace to be our starting CF in '07.

+$11.5 million (Vazquez's 2006 salary)

-$4.0 million (cash from Diamondbacks)

-$4.5 million (El Duque's 2006 salary)

-$1.5 million (Vizcaino's estimated 2006 salary)

----------------------------------------------

+$1.5 million

The Sox will only be adding $1.5 million to their 2006 salary with the addition of Javier Vazquez.

Edited by SSH2005