Cubs after Tejada, could move Prior

SSH2005

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miguel Tejada - SS - Orioles

The Orioles remain in talks with a couple of teams about Miguel Tejada, but they appear to be no closer to a deal with anyone.

Radio reports have the Cubs offering Mark Prior, Corey Patterson and Rich Hill for Tejada and Eric Bedard, but the Orioles shouldn't have any interest in moving Bedard and it's believed they prefer Carlos Zambrano to Prior. A source told the Baltimore Sun that Boston's current is offer is Manny Ramirez and Matt Clement for Tejada. Dec. 27 - 11:12 pm et

Source: Baltimore Sun

TIFWIW

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
I hate the Cubs (have to use that disclaimer whenever I praise any Cubs player), but Hill and Pie have a TON of value.  Even though I've never been impressed by Hill, he's considered one of the best lefty pitching prospects in baseball.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Hill be 26 by the start of next season? Its almost hard to imagine he's still a prospect. Hell, Jon Garland is 26 and he already has 6 seasons under his bealt.

Of course, its obviously not to late for Hill to reach his potential, but if he's the hot prospect that the Cubs make him out to be, you'd think he'd at least get a sniff of the big leagues the past few years.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Of course, its obviously not to late for Hill to reach his potential, but if he's the hot prospect that the Cubs make him out to be, you'd think he'd at least get a sniff of the big leagues the past few years.

You hit the nail on the head right there. THEY make him out to be this sweet prospect, but he really isnt. He is a serviceable pitcher, but is not the next zito that they make him out to be. You cant really trust the cubs organization's rating of prospects anyway. They have traded away more talent than they have developed.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Hill be 26 by the start of next season?  Its almost hard to imagine he's still a prospect.  Hell, Jon Garland is 26 and he already has 6 seasons under his bealt.

Yes, he will be 26 by opening day. He spent a lot of time in A ball throughout his career, probably trying to work on his control. In fact, he still started this year at Peoria, albiet for one game. For some reason he dropped his walks this year. His walk rate used to be very high, but he had dropped it considerably until he reached the Cubs this year. He's always had a very high strikeout rate, but he allowed a lot of baserunners and had a fairly high ERA. Even when he was "on" in AA and AAA this year his ERA was over 3. He's got to start producing fairly quickly in the majors to have any kind of value, and prove that his improved control this past year wasn't a fluke.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Miguel Tejada - SS - Orioles 

The Orioles remain in talks with a couple of teams about Miguel Tejada, but they appear to be no closer to a deal with anyone.

Radio reports have the Cubs offering Mark Prior, Corey Patterson and Rich Hill for Tejada and Eric Bedard, but the Orioles shouldn't have any interest in moving Bedard and it's believed they prefer Carlos Zambrano to Prior. A source told the Baltimore Sun that Boston's current is offer is Manny Ramirez and Matt Clement for Tejada. Dec. 27 - 11:12 pm et

Source: Baltimore Sun

TIFWIW

to add on to this, late at night, about 2 a.m. maybe, on the local sports update on the Score they said talks have stalled between the Cubs and Orioles.

ESPN is saying O's officials are saying today that Tejada is unlikely to be traded. Now I know that could mean I'll wake up tomorrow and he'll be traded, but the saga might be over for now.

I believe the report that Cubs offered Prior/Hill/Patterson, I just imagine that it wasn't enough for the O's and the Cubs wouldn't give up Zambrano and or Pie instead.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Yes, he will be 26 by opening day. He spent a lot of time in A ball throughout his career, probably trying to work on his control. In fact, he still started this year at Peoria, albiet for one game. For some reason he dropped his walks this year. His walk rate used to be very high, but he had dropped it considerably until he reached the Cubs this year. He's always had a very high strikeout rate, but he allowed a lot of baserunners and had a fairly high ERA. Even when he was "on" in AA and AAA this year his ERA was over 3. He's got to start producing fairly quickly in the majors to have any kind of value, and prove that his improved control this past year wasn't a fluke.

Without bothering to browse minor league statistics to validate my post, Hill had an outstanding K/IP ratio (~115K's/90IP, IIRC) in AAA. Obviously, this doesn't necessarily translate to the majors; but he apparently has the necessary tools which teams covet.

Of the few games I recall him pitching, one noticeable fault of Hill was his endurace. He appeared to slow down dramatically as the game progessed. In addition, his fastball wasn't very quick(89-91) or lively. The dealbreaker, however, is a nice curveball. It's about as close to Zito's as anyone pitching in the majors. One strikeout that stands out in my mind is a curveball thrown to Delgado which made him look like a damn fool.

If he doesn't develop another quality pitch, Hill won't be more than a reliever/back-end starter. Although I'm sure the Orioles wouldn't mind any role as long as he's pitching on their team, and not in the minors.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
ESPN is saying O's officials are saying today that Tejada is unlikely to be traded.  Now I know that could mean I'll wake up tomorrow and he'll be traded, but the saga might be over for now.

I believe the report that Cubs offered Prior/Hill/Patterson, I just imagine that it wasn't enough for the O's and the Cubs wouldn't give up Zambrano and or Pie instead.

I think Tejada will be dealt, it might even still be to the Cubs.

The quote I read from the O's said soemthing like: none of the offers on the table were inetresting enough. Sounds to me like they'd still listen to new offers.

Talk seems to have shifted from Chicago to Boston. I saw it a while ago on ESPNNEWS, Boston had offered Manny for Tejada straight up but now they have included Clement in the offer. The contracts of Manny and Clement are 20 mil apart from Tejada. I don't see that happening and if it did Boston would have to eat alot of the money. Plus, they are in the same division. Just figured I'd post that.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Talk seems to have shifted from Chicago to Boston.  I saw it a while ago on ESPNNEWS,  Boston had offered Manny for Tejada straight up but now they have included Clement in the offer.  The contracts of Manny and Clement are 20 mil apart from Tejada.  I don't see that happening and if it did Boston would have to eat alot of the money.  Plus, they are in the same division.  Just figured I'd post that.

yeah, i heard the same thing on the radio, so it was expanded on a little more. Basically you are right, the O's don't want to trade him within the division, but it seems the other offers they got aren't what they are interested in getting in return, including the Cubs offer.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
I agree.  The Cubs wont give them Zambrano and Pie so a deal won't happen there unless one of the sides gets desperate.  I say Tejada stays in Baltimore.

Being interviewed in the Dominican Republic, Miguel Tejada said he is "more upset" with the Orioles because they haven't gotten stronger in the offseason than with the team not fulfilling his trade request.

"Now, I am more upset than when I requested the trade because it's been a month and they haven't done anything," he said. Obviously, Tejada wasn't a big fan of the Ramon Hernandez or Jeromy Burnitz signings. He'd still like a trade. "If the Orioles don't do anything, I want them to trade me because I am tired of losing," he said. Dec. 29 - 9:44 pm et

Associated  Press 

Here we go for another round of Tejada talk.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Talk seems to have shifted from Chicago to Boston.  I saw it a while ago on ESPNNEWS,  Boston had offered Manny for Tejada straight up but now they have included Clement in the offer.  The contracts of Manny and Clement are 20 mil apart from Tejada.  I don't see that happening and if it did Boston would have to eat alot of the money.  Plus, they are in the same division.  Just figured I'd post that.

ESPN shifted the talk from Chicago to Boston ... Wow. I'm shocked.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 08:23 AM)
Yesterday, when I was listening to Baseball 365, they said that Prior's agent stated in the newspaper that Prior was never even included in this talk for Tejada.

yeah, in the Sun Times on saturday it said something like the O's came to the Cubs and asked for Prior, and the Cubs are saying they said no unless another pitcher was included (the bedard rumor)

So it seems the Cubs know that it's a real possibility they won't be getting Tejada and have to spin it to soothe Prior's ego (not that I really blame them for doing what they are doing)

Interesting article from the Daily Southtown this morning concerning the Tejada trade and Prior's pitching mechanics.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/co...ki/x27-lad1.htm

Although I don't necessarily believe Prior's mechanics are as volitale as Marshall suggests (pitching isn't exactly a natural motion of the arm), I find it hilarious he includes numerous digs on the Cubs. Even more hilarious considering all the people who label his pitching motion the prototype for an effortless delivery.

You'll know he'll never change it, anyways. I'd be willing to bet that "loop" Marshall observed is an integral component of the motion which carried Prior into the majors. It may be responsible for deceiving hitters or providing extra bite on his curveball.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
I never read the article but what is there to say about Prior's pitching mechanics.... unlike Wood he has good mechanics...

that was the original thought, but with his phantom arm problems last year there has been a lot of questions about it. The best thing I heard someone say about it (Maybe it was Stone, I can't remember) is that pitching is just a violent motion and no matter how sound a pitcher's mechanics look, there is always a lot of stress on the arm.