The lastest on Garland

Guest JimH

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
Thats just Jon's attitude about attitude... he tries to be calm and looks like he doesnt care about anything.  Although from what I hear from people close to him is that he really does care just doesnt know how to show it or something like that.

Yep. I heard about that too. It's a good and bad thing because opponent's don't see you sweat, but you get people on your case.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Now if you were Jon, would you rather play on a Championship team for $8 million a year, or a losing team willing to pay you $10-11 million a year?

Considering the winning team wouldn't offer him more than 4 years (and I don't know if they'd go to that point) and the losing team would offer him at least 5, possibly 6.

I'd take the extra 12 million over the 4 year deal, plus your guaranteed another 10-11 mill for 1 or 2 extra seasons (which would be 24 million).

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
I wouldn't mind it. You dont' even need to set it at $70 million. $100 million is fine. Obviously, the luxury tax isn't helping lower market teams very much. Something is wrong with baseball when the Yankees outfield is paid more than the entire Devil Rays roster.

I'd set the max around 100 mill, but the min would be somewhere pretty high as well (something like over a 3 year period your avg payroll must be a certain amt. The problem is sometimes you can put together a very winning team at a lower payroll because you have prospects at good values. I dont' think teams should necessarily be punished for that.

At the same time players need to know that if there was a salary cap, teams couldn't just sit way below it still.

The cap works in the NFL because teams are almost always spending roughly the same amount.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
I'd imagine a salary floor would be more likely to pass within the union than a cap. Force Tampa, Kansas City, whichever other teams hold low payrolls to spend atleast 50 million.

I agree, I think this would be the 1st step and the owners would be taking a serious risk in this. They'd essentially have to agree to a floor with the hopes that when the bargainin agreement came up 4 years later (or whenever the agreement would end) that they would look at it and than come up with a max number as well (I don't think the owners would risk this).

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Not true when it comes to labor issues.  MLB has an "antitrust exemption" that allows it some amount of protection against antitrust lawsuit by competing leagues (e.g., the Federal League in 1915) and against claims by individual owners that the league is restraining trade by not allowing them to move their team into a new city.

Not terribly long ago, the owners and players went to Congress after they had agreed that the antitrust exemption should be removed for labor issues.  Thus, collusion among teams when it comes to player salaries is no longer OK.

In the collusion proceeding relating to the 1986 and 1987 free agent markets (Fred Lynn and Carlton Fisk got a bunch of money out of this), I believe that the owners had agreed NOT to collude in the labor agreement that came out of the 1985 collective bargaining agreement (if you recall, baseball had a 2-day strike in 1985).  Thus, when they did collude, it was thus subject of an arbitration over the terms of the contract.  I believe the owners paid something like $270 million (maybe it was $170 million) as a result of losing that arbitration.

You are correct. Quite a few players were still getting checks as recently as a few years ago from that incident. The owners really got hammered.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
The 4 teams I know are interested in Jon are Houston, Texas, LA Angels and LA Dodgers. What out of those teams has the most to offer as far as bullpen help? Good bye Jon G! We stuck with you- now you are going to get paid somewhere else.

Houston and both LA teams have some pretty good pen arms, but I'm not sure what could or would be given up. The Dodgers are our best I think, as they do have some quality prospect pitching depth to throw in.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
Houston and both LA teams have some pretty good pen arms, but I'm not sure what could or would be given up. The Dodgers are our best I think, as they do have some quality prospect pitching depth to throw in.

Houston's an interesting one. You just think Tim Purpura is going to do something big down there. They missed out on Rondell White, and they could either trade for a big time SP like Jon Garland or trade for an OF like Bobby Abreu.

And the Astros do have some good bullpen arms. Chad Qualls and Dan Wheeler would both make excellent fits in our pen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Houston's an interesting one. You just think Tim Purpura is going to do something big down there. They missed out on Rondell White, and they could either trade for a big time SP like Jon Garland or trade for an OF like Bobby Abreu.

And the Astros do have some good bullpen arms. Chad Qualls and Dan Wheeler would both make excellent fits in our pen.

Absolutely, and with Clemens not coming back (probably anyway), they have some money to spend, and a pitching vacancy that Garland would fill nicely.

Does anyone think that Milwaukee might also be a potential candidate? I know it wouldn't have that nice SoCal location we keep talking about but they do need pitching help next year, they have a fairly deep minor league, we have a good recent trade relationship with them, and they may very well want to risk making a push next year. Just another name to toss out.

Btw, good to see that this thread's length has surpassed the previous thread's already.

I think some of may overlook the negative Public Relations that the sox would get if they trade garland and get nothing in return... If we get top prospects the sox can say they are preparing for the future, If we get bullpen help they can say we get immediate help now....but if we get low level prospects and a crappy bullpen guy, the PR would be terrible. To some fans it would seem like we are dismantleing the pitching staff strictly for money.

i would understand if KW has to save money on the payroll ...but if gets nothing in return, it could end up costing the sox alot of money too. It is important that the sox keep looking like they are making moves to win again in 2006 and in 2007, 2008 and 2009. :gosox1:

I saw this rumor out there:

"Reports now indicate that now the Chicago White Sox may be the third team involved in the Tejada deal. The trade would have to be something like this: The Cubs get Tejada and cash , and Baltimore gets Contreras, Garland, and OF prospect Ryan Sweeney from the White Sox, and the White Sox get Prior and a prospect from Baltimore." It's no secret Kenny Williams has been trying to move Jon Garland, who's already turned down at least one contract extension. This deal would greatly improve Baltimore's rotation giving them two front of the rotation starters in one shot. It would also give the White Sox more room financially to sign Buehrle to an extension after the '07 season."

What do you think?

QUOTE(Chek2002 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)

"Reports now indicate that now the Chicago White Sox may be the third team involved in the Tejada deal. The trade would have to be something like this: The Cubs get Tejada and cash , and Baltimore gets Contreras, Garland, and OF prospect Ryan Sweeney from the White Sox, and the White Sox get Prior and a prospect from Baltimore." It's no secret Kenny Williams has been trying to move Jon Garland, who's already turned down at least one contract extension. This deal would greatly improve Baltimore's rotation giving them two front of the rotation starters in one shot. It would also give the White Sox more room financially to sign Buehrle to an extension after the '07 season."

What do you think?

I smell...

bulls***.jpg

Edited by whitesoxfan13

What do you think?

Source / link please.

[Baltimore Sun]

The Orioles are interested in White Sox right-hander Jon Garland, who is a free agent after this season, and had some talks with Chicago last week in a deal that didn't include Tejada, according to industry sources. However, the White Sox wanted Bedard, instead of pitching prospects in the deal, and the Orioles balked.

[Boston Globe]

For now, the Orioles' talks with the Cubs are more advanced than with anyone else, though sources on both sides said nothing was imminent last night. There has been talk, as there is wont to be in these matters, of various three- or four-team scenarios, the most ambitious rumor one in which the Orioles would wind up with Ramírez and White Sox pitcher Jon Garland, the Cubs would get Tejada, the White Sox would get Bedard, and the Red Sox would receive Prior. That sounds like it belongs in the ho, ho, ho category, however.

There is some truth to the Garland for Bedard rumors, but I can't see a four-way deal that involved both Sox, the Cubs and included four All-Stars.

QUOTE(Chek2002 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)

What do you think?

Contreras, Garland, and Sweeney for Prior? Gag me.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Contreras, Garland, and Sweeney for Prior?  Gag me.

That would be absolutely Horrific. You'd have to make it Prior and Santana somehow before I'd think that we were getting fair value. And I'm talking the Santana up north, not the rookie out here.

QUOTE(Chek2002 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)

What do you think?

OMG, thats the f***ing worse trade rumor I've ever seen. So we trade Contreras and Garland plus Ryan Sweeney for Prior. Ya right.

By the way I should add if someone gave me a guarantee that Prior was healthy, I'd insanely enough make this trade. But since that guarantee doesn't exist, this would be a purely assinine move. Unless we also got ourselves Eric Bedard and Julio or something along those lines.

On a sidenote, the cubs and Sox ain't making a deal together, imo.

QUOTE(Chek2002 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)

What do you think?

Oh no, here comes my breakfast...

:puke