Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
For those of you closely following Illinois' recruiting (i.e. doc, whom I miss reading by the way; where've you been, buddy?), one noticeable difference in Weber's recruiting philosophy has been his failing to put all of his eggs in one basket and covering all his bases in his recruiting. For the first time in years, it seems like there is a distinct group-A whom the coaching staff would love to take first and foremost and plenty of contingency groups from all around the country--any one of which could come to fruition and turn into quite the commitment.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first verbal of 2008. I'm sure it will be one to remember.

Yeah, but I'll really get excited when the ink dries. :)

It's good to be excited about something related to Illinois basketball after everything that took place this year.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
For those of you closely following Illinois' recruiting (i.e. doc, whom I miss reading by the way; where've you been, buddy?), one noticeable difference in Weber's recruiting philosophy has been his failing to put all of his eggs in one basket and covering all his bases in his recruiting. For the first time in years, it seems like there is a distinct group-A whom the coaching staff would love to take first and foremost and plenty of contingency groups from all around the country--any one of which could come to fruition and turn into quite the commitment.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first verbal of 2008. I'm sure it will be one to remember.

lol. i've been around, but work has been crazy busy this past month. your points are dead on, though. in the past the biggest problem i've had with weber isn't that he hasn't landed every five-star kid he's targeted. you just are not going to hit on every one of those kids. my quarrel was with the total lack of a back-up plan. this offseason there are big targets, but there are also some pretty viable and realistic other options to fill those slots.

overall, i still remain a little skeptical regarding recruiting, but i do like what seems to be a bit of a different approach.

plus, as s2k5 mentioned, the tribune article this week was very positive for the program and did indeed debunk some earlier claims that intimated guys like dee and deron are actively recruiting against their program.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:59 AM)
Right now his top 2 are us and Miami (FL), Rutgers is 3rd and Texas has stopped recruiting him at this point. I think once KS shows him the place where 17,000 will be on their feet cheering as opposed to 5,000 fans who are ready for spring football practice, this kid could be ours. I'd really like to finish with a 2008 class of Ebanks, Mackey, Jones and Garcia.

I also heard that we still have a legitimate shot at Beas Hamga for 2007 (Holman could go to prep school or Jordan Crawford could be redshirted).

Does redshirting a player free up a scholarship?

Here are some random tidbits about IU basketball/recruiting:

*I really hope that Holman doesn't need prep school, because I have really been impressed by the video I have seen of him. I saw some offensive potential/talent to match his shot-blocking, which is rare for big men right out of high school.

*I heard that Shaw is still up in the air about transfering as well. I do like Shaw, but I would gladly trade his scholarship for Hamga. IU could use all the big guys they can get after Davis's recruiting/lineups with only 1 guy over 6'4 on the court at a time.

*On a side note, I heard some info that Hamga wants to go to a place where he can start right away(like UK) and he might not have that chance at IU if Holman beats him out.

*It appears that IU is second with Ebanks behind Miami at this point. I think KS needs to get a commitment this weekend from Ebanks or else he will likely be wearing a Miami uniform in 2008.

*It is looking more likely that Garcia might need a year of prep school. Lets hope that IU can secure a commitment in the near future whether he is ready this year or not. No need to give the big fish another year to recruit this kid if he needs a year of prep school.

*If IU strikes out with key big men(already missed out on Gates and Jurick), than look for them to go after Zeller pretty hard. He has been getting some positive press and most think he has more upside then his older brother.

*Finally, Mackey is getting a lot of pub of late and saw himself rise quite a bit in the most recent rankings. He might have an outside shot of making the Burger team.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ May 8, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
What do you think is going to happen with Bocot? According to Salukitalk he didn't get a qualifying ACT score.

GO DAWGS!

I don't even know what to think about the whole Bocot situation. I honestly have no freakin clue on what's going to happen. I'm just going to wait and see.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 8, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Also Trey Thompkins who Weber is recruiting hard (he is 13th I think) and Terrence Jennings who is #9, has a top 3 with Illinois, Cal and Arizona. So lots of Illinois guys up there, I think this is the banner class the BW has wanted. Plus, '09 is stacked and the top two '09 players are from the Champaign area and '10 already has Richmond who is a top 5 player nationally. Things finally starting to look up for a true good guy in college basketball.

Actually, according to Rivals Illinois isn't even on Jennings' list. His top 3 are Arizona, Cal, and Maryland, with Iowa State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Old Dominion as the other listed schools...

Still, nice to see him starting to gain some ground, we'll see if he gets some guys...

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 8, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
Darius Miller has a short list and here are the schools: Duke, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and Louisville.

Source: Me

I had heard as much, but thanks for clarifying.

Actually, according to Rivals Illinois isn't even on Jennings' list. His top 3 are Arizona, Cal, and Maryland, with Iowa State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Old Dominion as the other listed schools...

Rivals had a story yesterday about Jennings saying Illinois is in his top 3, that list isn't updated.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 8, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
There will be something wrong if Roundtree isn't in the top 150 soon, anyone who has seen him play can vouch for that.

CLo was worth every penny and more that he got.

The fact that Fay never made the 150 was a joke, anyone that saw him play could vouch for that. And for sure your right on CLo.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
IRivals had a story yesterday about Jennings saying Illinois is in his top 3, that list isn't updated.

That explains a lot. :bang Didn't bother reading the articles this time...

Samardo Samuels looks like he will be headed to Chapel Hill, I hope he doesn't reconsider because a month ago Delvon Roe looked Carolina bound and made a last second switch with the advise of his parents to stay closer to home and go to Michigan State.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Well, Garcia is a heavey lean to IU, but you may have to wait an extra year if he does not make-up his school work. He is only a sophmore acedemically now, so a year in prep school after this one looks to be on the horizon.

I heard DePaul is still involved.

Do you know anything about draymond green?

Not sure what kinda shot DePaul has with either but I know they're recruiting them.

And Jeremiah Kelly is a nice way to start of our 2008 recruiting class. :)

Continuing on what 2K5 said...

Weber beams like a proud papa

By MARK TUPPER - H&R Executive Sports Editor

POSTED: 5/9/2007 at 1:53 pm

It was a pretty sweet night for Illini basketball — past and present — when Utah scratched out a victory over Golden State in the opener of their best-of-seven NBA playoff series.

Deron Williams was outstanding with 31 points and a world of toughness down the stretch. Dee Brown, pressed into 12 minutes of action, delivered big-time and drew high praise from his coach, Jerry Sloan. And Illini coach Bruce Weber was there to catch all the action, getting some pretty nice TV face time as he beamed like a proud papa. Back in the late-night TNT studios, Charles Barkley raved about Williams and Brown.

And who could blame Weber for glowing as he watched from courtside (Deron Williams landed him the ticket)?

Any coach/teacher wants to see their athletes/students do well in the workplace. And Williams and Brown came through for Utah. After the game, Weber went to dinner with Deron and his wife and mom along with Dee. I’ll bet that turned out to be a night to remember for Weber, who has received some high-praise pats on the back from Sloan and the Houston Rockets’ coaching staff for preparing players to perform in the NBA.

That includes getting them ready for a measure of toughness and that’s what I saw in the Utah-Golden State game. When there were big plays to be made at crunch time, Deron Williams never hesitated to go after them. And even though Dee has mostly been riding the bench in the playoffs, he acted like he had years of playoff experience. He attacked whenever the opportunities were there.

In Deron’s case, he’s using this big stage to cement his future as an NBA star. In Dee’s case, he’s making a strong statement to lock up his second NBA contract. And knowing the pride with which he plays, and the satisfaction he gets to silencing his doubters, he’s finding great pleasure in delivering when given the chance.

Weber says all of the former Illini starters from the Final Four team — Deron, Dee, James Augustine, Luther Head and Roger Powell Jr. — will be in Champaign at one time or another this spring and summer, many stopping by during the summer camp schedule. That’s something we have talked about for years, the importance of making former players feel welcome. It’s great to see it finally happening. And when you think about recruiting, players have to like what they’ve seen from Williams and Brown and from the relationship both maintain with Weber.

After a season in which very little seemed to go right, it’s nice to see a string of feel-good stories lately. Watkins. Alexander. Jordan. Williams/Brown.

I’d say a flood of good news is long overdue.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
I heard DePaul is still involved.

Do you know anything about draymond green?

Not sure what kinda shot DePaul has with either but I know they're recruiting them.

And Jeremiah Kelly is a nice way to start of our 2008 recruiting class. :)

Yeah they have a shot. His top 4 at the moment are Louisville, Memphis, DePaul, and Indiana. Coach Calaparri was in last week to see him and he likes Memphis, but he is clearly Indiana bound if he had to choose now. It isn't even close, for whatever reason he really is impressed with IU, and they are a clear favorite. But you never know.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ May 10, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
Thats what I thought, but Aboz made it sound like Crawford being redshirted would free up a scholarship to offer Hamga.

I think Holman going to prep school or Shaw transferring would be the only way to free up a spot for Hamga. I was wrong about the redshirting freeing up a scholly, it doesn't.

We were at Yogi's last night, when Devin Ebanks, EJ, DJ, Stemler, Thomas, etc. all came in. It was pretty cool; they got a nice little reception from everyone.

My friend and I are heading to Assembly in a few to check out some games with DeShaun Thomas (2010), Tyler Zeller (2008), Devin Ebanks (2008) etc.

Also, I saw DeAndre Thomas for the first time in person yesterday. The dude is a big boy, but seeing him in person was a lot more assuring than reading what he looked like. He'll definitely need to lose some poundage, but he seems like he can be a nice presence in the paint.

A very reliable source on salukitalk says that we're about to land another solid 08 recruit, maybe Rob Belcore. Not huge news yet but it's getting very interesting cause we're going to have about 90 people on scholarship soon, not exactly sure what is going on right now.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 12, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
We were at Yogi's last night, when Devin Ebanks, EJ, DJ, Stemler, Thomas, etc. all came in. It was pretty cool; they got a nice little reception from everyone.

My friend and I are heading to Assembly in a few to check out some games with DeShaun Thomas (2010), Tyler Zeller (2008), Devin Ebanks (2008) etc.

Also, I saw DeAndre Thomas for the first time in person yesterday. The dude is a big boy, but seeing him in person was a lot more assuring than reading what he looked like. He'll definitely need to lose some poundage, but he seems like he can be a nice presence in the paint.

Good stuff, greasy. Would love some reports on the games. I'm curious to know how good DeShaun Thomas really is.

Alright...

I didn't get to see DeShaun Thomas in person. All of his games were at either of the Bloomington High Schools, and we ended up setting post at Assembly. However, some people behind us saw his early morning game, and they couldn't stop talking about him. They said he had something like 36 and 12 in his 9:15 game. If he stays in Fort Wayne (there's not very legit rumors that he might transfer to Lawrence North in Indy), James Hardy's all-time points mark is in jeopardy.

Heads, you can have Tyler Zeller, though if he goes anywhere--it'll most likely be Purdue. Matt Painter's been stalking the guy since 8th grade. The guy is a nice size inside presence, behind 6-11 or 7-0. However, I wasn't very impressed; his game was pretty soft from what I saw. He was serviceable in the paint--getting boards and dropping in 0 footers, but I'd like to see him bulk up some more and strengthen his game.

I just want to note to remember the name Emmanuel Negedu. He was also on Indiana Elite, and he's going to Arizona in the 2008 class. He could do it all inside and out, and he looked like an NBA player on that roster.

And after the two games I saw him in yesterday, I'll be pretty ecstatic for IU to get Devin Ebanks. He was amazing yesterday. He was extremely athletic and all facets of his game were really strong--ball handling, movement, defense, etc. He didn't make a lot of shots from outside of the paint but ended with 30 something in the first game and 20 something in the second.

He had to have a pretty bad shooting day, because from what I've read, he's known to be a good shooter. Shots just weren't falling for him, but I don't feel that would happen with regularity for him. From internet postings, it sounds like he'll be making a decision by no later than June. Hopefully everything points this to be a successful visit.